Which Non-Rookie On Defense Must Have A Breakout Season?

DanA

Reaction score
We need about four of them
  • Gregory as a LEO
  • Diggs as the no.1 CB
  • Gallimore as a starting 3T
  • Jaylon as a hybrid rusher / off ball LB
That would obviously make a huge difference.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
The Hill mentions :laugh:
  • Gregory as a LEO
  • Diggs as the no.1 CB
Jaylon isnt a hybrid rusher. If you want that ask for Parsons.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Most likely the best chance for a veteran on defense to have a breakout season is Diggs. He's a young guy that looks to be getting better and better.

If Randy Gregory has matured as it seems, then it could very well be him. He's had his opportunity to acclimate to the NFL game last season. With a chip on his shoulder he could be ready to show the world that they shouldn't have given up on him.

LVE had a great rookie season then injuries caused him to fade. However, suppose his neck did heal as he claims. He certainly has the talent and physical abilities. If he should start the season off with a few sacks, forced fumbles, INT's, critical stops behind the line, its very possible.

Any of these scenarios would really help the Cowboys but I believe there is one position on defense above the rest that could propel the team should someone break out.

When was the last time this team had a really dominant DT? Historically, it has been a trademark any time the Cowboys were a dominant force.

The very first draft pick in Cowboy history went to that position. He was also the first Cowboy in the Hall of Fame.

The anchor of the Cowboy defense in the late 70's and early 80's was another DT who also went to the Hall of Fame as well as SB MVP.

If Galimore or Tristan Hill should break out it would radically change Cowboys fortunes over the last 25 seasons. It is extremely rare for a rookie to break out to that degree but we have seen it, haven''t we?

We saw it with Dak. It is possible that the next great Cowboy DT is one of the rookies but I would give better odds to a young veteran with one or two years experience.
INT's mean more to a team than sacks. So I'd say Brown or Lewis. If we can get one of these dark horses to play like an all-pro we will definitely be better.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Randy Gregory. If he can realize his potential over a whole season, him and DLAW will make life easier for the secondary.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most likely the best chance for a veteran on defense to have a breakout season is Diggs. He's a young guy that looks to be getting better and better.

If Randy Gregory has matured as it seems, then it could very well be him. He's had his opportunity to acclimate to the NFL game last season. With a chip on his shoulder he could be ready to show the world that they shouldn't have given up on him.

LVE had a great rookie season then injuries caused him to fade. However, suppose his neck did heal as he claims. He certainly has the talent and physical abilities. If he should start the season off with a few sacks, forced fumbles, INT's, critical stops behind the line, its very possible.

Any of these scenarios would really help the Cowboys but I believe there is one position on defense above the rest that could propel the team should someone break out.

When was the last time this team had a really dominant DT? Historically, it has been a trademark any time the Cowboys were a dominant force.

The very first draft pick in Cowboy history went to that position. He was also the first Cowboy in the Hall of Fame.

The anchor of the Cowboy defense in the late 70's and early 80's was another DT who also went to the Hall of Fame as well as SB MVP.

If Galimore or Tristan Hill should break out it would radically change Cowboys fortunes over the last 25 seasons. It is extremely rare for a rookie to break out to that degree but we have seen it, haven''t we?

We saw it with Dak. It is possible that the next great Cowboy DT is one of the rookies but I would give better odds to a young veteran with one or two years experience.

I think it’s very important that Diggs take that next step. We’ll certainly have transition and struggle at the other cornerback spot so I think it’s imperative that we have one we can count on.

As for Trysten Hill? I don’t think it’s any guarantee that he even MAKES the 2021 Cowboys team.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Bossman Fat and Bohanna. I don’t know why but just typing those names puts a smile on my face.

I’m picturing Dukes of Hazard and WWE got together and came up a new show and titled it Bossman Fat and Bohanna.

conner01

Reaction score
Trysten Hill without a doubt. Spent a 2nd round pick on the guy while passing on some very good safeties. Last remnant of the Marinelli Con.
If anyone “must” have a breakout year it’s hill
Those saying others forget most of them are under contract like Lawrence or have played pretty good so far like Gallimore or diggs
Hill to me really has his job on the line
Cutting him after this season saves money
Those others have no fear of being cut, hill does

conner01

Reaction score
Lve and jaylon. This is a make or break year for both.
I think we are beyond break out year for both
LVE is a FA after the season and while I hope he has a great year to help the team and the comp pick, he’s not gonna be a cowboy after this year
Jaylon is in a position after this season he can be cut
He has a chance to prevent that from happening but I don’t think it’s possible at his costs he has the All Pro season he needs to survive

DanA

Reaction score
The Hill mentions :laugh:

Jaylon isnt a hybrid rusher. If you want that ask for Parsons.

I disagree. Not that Parsons isn't a better rusher, just that I'd rather have him in the interior (at MIKE) wading through traffic, spying the QB/RB, and blitzing from the inside. I hate Jaylon in that role so if the two of them are on the field, I have Parsons as our MIKE with Jaylon as the hybrid rusher. That might change if LVE is healthy, but I also don't like LVE much as a MIKE either, at least based on the past two seasons (when healthy).

Zman5

Reaction score
  • Gregory as a LEO
  • Diggs as the no.1 CB

Jaylon can make the team instantly better by becoming the off team LB.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I think we are beyond break out year for both
LVE is a FA after the season and while I hope he has a great year to help the team and the comp pick, he’s not gonna be a cowboy after this year
Jaylon is in a position after this season he can be cut
He has a chance to prevent that from happening but I don’t think it’s possible at his costs he has the All Pro season he needs to survive
Agreed. That’s the only way if they’re all pro. Which in all likelihood won’t happen

Beaker42

Reaction score
How about Demarcus Lawrence? The 2 years Before he gets paid he was averaging 12.5 sacks a year. And now Since he got paid 2 years ago, he’s averaging... 5.5 sacks a season?

I know sacks aren’t everything for a DE, but at 20m$ a season, it’s gotta be better than that
Not in Dallas - we love and overpay underachievers.