Which Player has a lot to prove in 2024?

leeblair

Reaction score
Trey Lance.
And I do believe that he will get the opportunity to do so if Jerry doesn't extend Dak before the season starts.
Trey Lance could be great, or he could flop.
Either way, the Cowboys need to know.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
This season could be it for Mazi. If he doesn’t show significant improvement he could be gone after only two seasons like Taco.
you know jerry doesn't want to do this though, you see teams do it often, you're a bust, time to go!!!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
you know jerry doesn't want to do this though, you see teams do it often, you're a bust, time to go!!!
He might not want do it, but he may have no choice if Mazi continues to be a liability. They’re going to have to play him a lot more this season so he better step up. This could be a make or break season for him.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This season could be it for Mazi. If he doesn’t show significant improvement he could be gone after only two seasons like Taco. So far he’s been one of the worst first round picks I can remember.
Considering the way he was handled and coached last year, that is a pretty questionable analysis.

His improvement since DQ left has been noticeable. Much more positive things and reports about him.

Does this mean he will start throwing OL's around in Cleveland week one? No, but we will be growth and improvement as the season progresses.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Considering the way he was handled and coached last year, that is a pretty questionable analysis.

His improvement since DQ left has been noticeable. Much more positive things and reports about him.

Does this mean he will start throwing OL's around in Cleveland week one? No, but we will be growth and improvement as the season progresses.
DQ did vastly improve our defense. We were ranked 5th in overall defense last season and a lot of players excelled under Quinn. However, the defense falls apart in the playoffs, which has been an ongoing problem. My analysis is based on the fact that Mike Zimmer had nothing to do with the drafting of Mazi. Jerry said during the draft that Mazi is going to have to play better. Stephen also echoed that. He said Mazi didn’t play as much as they wanted him to last season but he’s going to have to play a lot this season and has to step up. We’ll see if he fits into what Zimmer wants to do. We’ll see how effective he is stopping the run. This is a critical season for Mazi.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
There are several good candidates but I would say Rico Dowdle

This is his 4th season and he's #2 on the RB depth chart. If he can't surpass Ezekial Elliot as the #1 back I don't see him ever becoming a premier starting back .

He's 26 years old and it's now or never for him
Dowdle has already peaked as the best back on a team with a horrible stable of backs.
"Premier starting back" is a pipe dream for Dowdle.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Trey Lance.
And I do believe that he will get the opportunity to do so if Jerry doesn't extend Dak before the season starts.
Trey Lance could be great, or he could flop.
Either way, the Cowboys need to know.
Trey should shoot for "competent backup" this year.
He's got a long way to go.

He's got some wheels, though. If he can get competent throwing, he could be a starter.

Shane612

Reaction score

Well, he can’t be any worse….can he?
:muttley:

Chasing6

Reaction score
-It could be a player who signed a new deal
-High Expectations from a certain rookie
-A player coming off an injury
-A veteran on the last year of his current contract
-Aging Vet who still wants to show the league he can play

I didn't want to do all the work for you (goodness knows I do a lot around here :oops: ;)), pick a player that has a lot to prove and why!
Who ever is left from the 2023 draft class.

Chasing6

Reaction score
DQ did vastly improve our defense. We were ranked 5th in overall defense last season and a lot of players excelled under Quinn. However, the defense falls apart in the playoffs, which has been an ongoing problem. My analysis is based on the fact that Mike Zimmer had nothing to do with the drafting of Mazi. Jerry said during the draft that Mazi is going to have to play better. Stephen also echoed that. He said Mazi didn’t play as much as they wanted him to last season but he’s going to have to play a lot this season and has to step up. We’ll see if he fits into what Zimmer wants to do. We’ll see how effective he is stopping the run. This is a critical season for Mazi.
Our defense was not even close to being balanced. It was a 1 dimensional mirage.