Which players will improve the Most?

dallasfan

Reaction score
The obvious choices are Julius Jones, Torrin Tucker, Jacob Rogers, Jason Witten, Bradie James, Terrence Newman and Roy Williams (feel free to add anyone else).

Personally I think Terrence Newman will improve the most. Aarron Glenn is the first veteran corner Newman has played with, and should be able to improve his technique some and keep him from getting down on himself if he struggles early. Add that with a pass rush that should improve a lot and I think Newman will be going to Hawaii.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
Kalen Thornton.
I just feel he will get lots of playing time in the 3 - 4 and I see big things coming for this guy .

dallasfan

Reaction score
leonargized said:
Kalen Thornton.
I just feel he will get lots of playing time in the 3 - 4 and I see big things coming for this guy .

I was really excited when we got him as an UDFA last year, but I don't see him ever being more that a situational pass rusher. I think he could get anywhere from 3-5 sacks which would be great, but unless he can become better in coverege he won't get enough time of the bench.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
leonargized said:
Newman will be great if we can get the pressure on the quarter back that is expected.

I don't know that he WILL be, but I would hope that he is.

To me, of all our "star" players, he has the most to prove.

But then again, Nguyen, Williams, everyone had a down year. Save Ellis and Glover.

I just hope 2003 was how our defense was supposed to look, not the 2004 nightmare.

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
dallasfan said:
The obvious choices are Julius Jones, Torrin Tucker, Jacob Rogers, Jason Witten, Bradie James, Terrence Newman and Roy Williams (feel free to add anyone else).

Curious why you feel Torrin Tucker will be among the most improved? I'll be surprised if he's not released before the end of camp.

Dye

Reaction score
austintodallas said:
Curious why you feel Torrin Tucker will be among the most improved? I'll be surprised if he's not released before the end of camp.

i agree - tucker reported in overweight, so already he's heading in the wrong direction.

my money is on bledsoe - under the right circumstances. if the o-line can keep the pressure off, and parcells keeps him from turning into a gunslinger, i believe he can improve over his performance last year.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
dallasfan said:
I was really excited when we got him as an UDFA last year, but I don't see him ever being more that a situational pass rusher. I think he could get anywhere from 3-5 sacks which would be great, but unless he can become better in coverege he won't get enough time of the bench.

I think he can be a ten sack guy , but if he ends up with only 5 this year then he still came a long way since going undrafted. I could live with that.
I agree that his coverage skills need some attention.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
It better be Henson or we will be in big trouble long term.

My question is how are you going to know if he is improved or not?

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
leonargized said:
Kalen Thornton.

Would love to see this. He is a 'Horn after all!

Have to go with Newman as having the best shot at most improved. Should be injury free, improved pass rush (lets hope), more help on the other side (Henry), more veteran leadership (Glen), etc. Should be a no-brainer.

Roy could push him though being back in the box where he belongs.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Alexander said:
My question is how are you going to know if he is improved or not?

If a tree falls in the forrest and nobody is there does it make a sound?

Whether we actually see him play this year or not, the long term success still rests on a young QB stepping up, otherwise we start over with a rookie and bring in more retreads.

Reaction score
Newman is a good choice because now that Parcells has taken over on D, we will pressure the QB...Add the fact we now have a top level DB coach in Bowles and I see a much improved D!

I like Thornton as well...Not sure what they have in mind there though if he & Ware are fighting at the same OLB spot as a pass rusher in the 3-4...

Last I read Tucker had turned it around & lost back the weight he shouldn't have gained...The guy still has alot of upside...Lets see if the New Oline coach can help him as well...

dallasfan

Reaction score
austintodallas said:

I don't, I put him under obvious choices b/c I thought some people would choose him, I was unaware about him showing up overweight though.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
If a tree falls in the forrest and nobody is there does it make a sound?

Whether we actually see him play this year or not, the long term success still rests on a young QB stepping up, otherwise we start over with a rookie and bring in more retreads.

If a beautiful girl runs naked through the forrest, will there be a string of 10 or 12 guys trailing close behind her?

I don't know but chances are pretty good.

BTW, I think your absolutly right. It had better be Henson.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
dallasfan said:

Personally I think Terrence Newman will improve the most. Aarron Glenn is the first veteran corner Newman has played with, and should be able to improve his technique some and keep him from getting down on himself if he struggles early. Add that with a pass rush that should improve a lot and I think Newman will be going to Hawaii.
I'm not sure I agree with how this is worded reason is I don't see much room for improvement in some of the choices you have here and one I don't think will make the team.

Witten, and Jones don't have a lot of room for improvement. Jones just needs to stay healthy and I don't think there is much he could have done last year to change him injuring his shoulder. From his second half of the season he could have had a 1500yrd season if he'd have been healthy and I'd be happy with that same kinda preformance this year. But thats me
Jason Witten what more can he do? Sure he can improve his blocking but I don't really see that as being a vast improvement.

Williams can improve over last season but still I don't think last season was all him if he'd had the talent around him he'd have been great that said I can see your point with him, and Newman but as we found out this week Newman played hurt last year so maybe that took away from him last season.

I really doubt Tucker will complete camp so IMO he's not a factor

Me I'd like to see Dan Campbell improve his catching and route running if he could do this then I'd say him,

A-Train I can see him having a vast improvement over last season.

Billy Cundiff while I like billy I hope and think he will improve his leg strength and become more consistant at the 40+ yard kicks if he can do this I can see us being much better IMO.

dallasfan

Reaction score
If Jones can put up 1400+ yards I would think that is a huge improvement, because next year, teams will game plan against him, and he'll see more men in the box than last year. Also 1400+ yards will probably mean he'll play all 16 games. As far as Witten, I started to leave him off the list for the reasons you stated, but like Jones he will recieve more attention, so maybee 90 catches, 1100 yards, 9 TD would be viewed as a big improvement

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Terrence Newman
Al Johnson
Torrin Tucker (I think he may end up starting again this year)

And for the defense's sake, I sure hope Shanle and/or James make large strides this year.