Which Safety Would You Draft???

MissionCoach

Reaction score
Just checked out the Huddle Reports 7 round Mock Draft...they have us taking.........................................

Donte Whitner S 5'11 205 Ohio St. Jr.

Whitner was one of the elite recruits in the country three years ago out of high school. He was recruited as a corner, but got on the field earlier at safety and has not given up the spot since taking over. As a sophomore, despite being slowed by a knee injury, he totaled 69 tackles, four of them coming for a loss. This past season he was one of three Ohio St. defensive backs to earn 1st Team All Big 10, after finishing with career highs of 73 tackles, nine for loss, four sacks, and two interceptions.
Donte Whitner is a talented safety prospect. He is a good athlete, has good speed, but his best attribute is his physicality. He flies around the field looking to tackle someone, and will not let anyone get in his way. He is very aggressive in the secondary. Whitner will hit you in the mouth, and wraps up to finish the play. He also has very good cover ability. Whitner has played strong safety, but may project better at free. He may even get a look as a corner for some teams, but is a work in progress there as he has no experience there.
As a strong safety, Whitner is undersized. Thats why he may move over to free safety. He has all the talent to match up in single coverage, but at times gets turned around because he is not used to being locked up man to man. If he stays at strong, he will have problems covering tight ends because of his lack of size. Whitner is an interesting prospect. He is an excellent safety, and could have an immediate impact at that position. But, he may also have the talent to project as a cornerback for some teams, but he will need a lot of work to make that move. I believe he projects best at free safety, but will be a standout at either safety spot. This is a deep safety class, but Whitner is as good as any of them. He has an outside shot at landing in the Top 50 despite all the talent in this safety class.

Which Safety would you pick for the Boys???

K-Mart

Reaction score
Depends on what round. Only safety I take, if available, is Jimmy Williams in the 1st. Allen or Bullocks in the 2nd, or that kid from Syracuse in the 3rd.

morasp

Reaction score
I would like to get him. The Sporting news has him rated as second round talent.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
I'am really leaning on Anthony Smith from Syracuse, he should be there in the 2nd.

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
I'll take Allen in the 2nd (highly unlikely) or Watkins or Smith in the 3rd round. Everyone is all over Simpson's jock, but he's only got 2 years of real football experience, he's as dumb as a rock, and I've seen some reports that he' rather immature. He's been getting by on physical ability thus far and I think he'll be exposed in the NFL.

MissionCoach

Reaction score
morasp said:
I would like to get him. The Sporting news has him rated as second round talent.

That's exactly where they are projecting we will draft Whitner, with the 49th pick in the 2nd round.

hendog

Reaction score
Pat Watkins, Jason Allen or Whitner all in the 2nd.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Depends on how free agency goes between now and then. If we don't sign a FS, we better draft one on day one. At that point, I trust the scouts to say which is the best one to take when we are on the clock.

wick

Reaction score
I won't be surprised if Cedric Griffin emerges as the best free safety in this draft. And yes, I know he was a corner at Texas.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Did someone mention Donte Whitner S Ohio St.?:D

In the second round of course I'm all for it!

silver

Reaction score
K-Mart said:
Depends on what round. Only safety I take, if available, is Jimmy Williams in the 1st. Allen or Bullocks in the 2nd, or that kid from Syracuse in the 3rd.
:signmast: what he said.

Z-Man

Reaction score
Whitner is the best coverage free safety in this draft and a perfect fit for this secondary. He also clocked at 4.39 and 4.37 in the 40 at Ohio State's pro day. I don't think he'll last until 18th of the second round so if BP likes him he better trade down in the first or trade up in the 2nd to nab him.

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
If for some reason we don't pick a FS until the 3rd round, there's a tiny chance Pat Watkins and Greg Blue could last until then and they'd be nice value picks. Maybe Roman Harper in the 5th round or later for depth should we choose to forgo a FS in the early rounds and stick with incumbents Beriault and K. Davis as the top starting candidates.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Whitner is the best player right now at FS BUT the best physical prospect at FS in Pat Watkins of FSU. At 6'4" and 211 lbs with 4.4 speed he's a guy that can match up with the big receivers in the red zone. He's only got 2 years starting experience so he's probably not ready to start year 1. He'd be a great 3rd round choice. I actually like him better than Ko Simpson who also only has 2 years starting experience and is as dumb as a bag of rocks.

ghst187

Reaction score
cowboysfan31 said:
I'll take Allen in the 2nd (highly unlikely) or Watkins or Smith in the 3rd round. Everyone is all over Simpson's jock, but he's only got 2 years of real football experience, he's as dumb as a rock, and I've seen some reports that he' rather immature. He's been getting by on physical ability thus far and I think he'll be exposed in the NFL.

Jason Allen is the dude because of:
1) Value: due to injury Sr year, dropped off a lot of teams radar, should be there in the second, similar player to Huff
2) Maturity, intelligent: quality guy
3) Leadership: was the heart of UT defense and a fiery leader
4) Coverage skills: could play CB in pinch, excels in coverage, just what we need
5) Speed: 4.3 40
6) Size: 6'2, 200+
7) Great tackler, a must for a FS

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
I don't know much about Whitner but he sounds intriguing. I think Jimmy Williams is a punk and hope we avoid him like the plague. I agree with cowboysfan31's take on Ko Simpson. Per my sig, I like Danieal Manning in the third. He's raw but versatile, having played corner, and can return kicks. I also would be very OK with Bullocks or Watkins but not where we pick in the second round. I also like Anthony Smith but think his lack of true athleticism limits his upside. Given our Paul P connection, I'd feel like we were getting inside info on good value if we were to pick him up in day two.

MissionCoach

Reaction score
As I said in a different post...everything I have been reading about this years draft class, points to a very deep talent pool at Safety...let's hope Ireland finds us a Starting FS in either the 2nd or 3rd rounds...NO MORE PROJECTS!!!!

Hopefully this is the year we break the SECOND ROUND JINX!!!! :bang2: :pray2: :enough: :crossed:

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
Jason Allen is the dude because of:
1) Value: due to injury Sr year, dropped off a lot of teams radar, should be there in the second, similar player to Huff
2) Maturity, intelligent: quality guy
3) Leadership: was the heart of UT defense and a fiery leader
4) Coverage skills: could play CB in pinch, excels in coverage, just what we need
5) Speed: 4.3 40
6) Size: 6'2, 200+
7) Great tackler, a must for a FS

I know what Allen is capable of and because of that, I don't think he'll be available in the 2nd round. The comments I made were in reference to Ko Simpson.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Z-Man said:
Whitner is the best coverage free safety in this draft and a perfect fit for this secondary. He also clocked at 4.39 and 4.37 in the 40 at Ohio State's pro day. I don't think he'll last until 18th of the second round so if BP likes him he better trade down in the first or trade up in the 2nd to nab him.

Whitner is my choice as well - in Round 2.

I think he'd make a great free safety and the perfect compliment to Roy Williams.

:pray2: