Which Safety Would You Draft???

ghst187

Reaction score
cowboysfan31 said:
I know what Allen is capable of and because of that, I don't think he'll be available in the 2nd round. The comments I made were in reference to Ko Simpson.

I know, I was spinning off of your Jason Allen in the second inference, I tend to agree with your Ko analysis.

I do believe that Allen will last til the second, probably not to our pick, but somewhere in the second.
I think he's a first round talent but I don't think there's a place for him in the first considering what teams are drafting in the latter part of round 1 and their needs. The reason Huff and Williams are projecting mid first is because a lot of teams are looking at them to play CB. A S usually slips a little in the draft, esp if he's not a SS, and I think teams look at Allen as a FS vice a CB.
Of course that's my opinion.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
AAHHRoyWilliamsIsAfterMe! said:
If for some reason we don't pick a FS until the 3rd round, there's a tiny chance Pat Watkins and Greg Blue could last until then and they'd be nice value picks. Maybe Roman Harper in the 5th round or later for depth should we choose to forgo a FS in the early rounds and stick with incumbents Beriault and K. Davis as the top starting candidates.

Greg Blue has absolutely ZERO coverage ability and NO ball skills

he has NO shot at being a FS in the NFL...he's a big hitter, but thats it

David

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
In order
1.Michael Huff
2.Jimmy Williams
3.Jason Allen
4.KO Simpson
5.Pat Watkins
6.Donte Whitner
7.Anthony Smith

Silverstar

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
In order
1.Michael Huff
2.Jimmy Williams
3.Jason Allen
4.KO Simpson
5.Pat Watkins
6.Donte Whitner
7.Anthony Smith

Looks good to me.

CM Duck

I'm breaking the 4th wall...
Reaction score
wick said:
I won't be surprised if Cedric Griffin emerges as the best free safety in this draft. And yes, I know he was a corner at Texas.

took the words right outta my mouth.

didn't he play FS in the Rose Bowl?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I've been on Griffin's jock since forever so I guess he's my guy. Ced Griffin in the 3rd.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
ghst187 said:
Jason Allen is the dude because of:
1) Value: due to injury Sr year, dropped off a lot of teams radar, should be there in the second, similar player to Huff
2) Maturity, intelligent: quality guy
3) Leadership: was the heart of UT defense and a fiery leader
4) Coverage skills: could play CB in pinch, excels in coverage, just what we need
5) Speed: 4.3 40
6) Size: 6'2, 200+
7) Great tackler, a must for a FS

:signmast: I agree. Allen is the most complete as far as leadership and talent IMO and would be a 2nd round steal if we can get him there.

MiStar

Reaction score
I would take Whitner in the first round and if he dropped to the second, I'd have a hard time passing him up. He has unparalled closing speed for a safety - think Bob Sanders or a bulked up Terrance Newman. He also has excellent leaping ability, which when paired with good ball skills which should translate into turnovers, although he was never much of a turnover machine at OSU.

That being said, I think he's better suited to corner. He has the potential to be the same kind of player as Terrence Newman, but played safety at OSU due to need. I would draft him as a FS, looking to convert him into a corner in a couple years to take over for Anthony Henry.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
MiStar said:
I would take Whitner in the first round and if he dropped to the second, I'd have a hard time passing him up. He has unparalled closing speed for a safety - think Bob Sanders or a bulked up Terrance Newman. He also has excellent leaping ability, which when paired with good ball skills which should translate into turnovers, although he was never much of a turnover machine at OSU.

That being said, I think he's better suited to corner. He has the potential to be the same kind of player as Terrence Newman, but played safety at OSU due to need. I would draft him as a FS, looking to convert him into a corner in a couple years to take over for Anthony Henry.
I've done a little more reading up on Whitner, and he seems like a complete stud. They barely had anything bad to say about the guys skills. I'm starting to become a believer, but Allen is still my favorite so far.

MiStar

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
I've done a little more reading up on Whitner, and he seems like a complete stud. They barely had anything bad to say about the guys skills. I'm starting to become a believer, but Allen is still my favorite so far.

Whitner isn't perfect. He will miss more tackles than you'd like, and he doesn't have much experience as a "center fielder", or much experience in general. He only started for two years in college.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
I would only take Ko Simpson in the first if Wimbley, Lawson, and Carpenter are all gone (not going to happen).

In the second, I would take Jason Allen or Daniel Bullocks if they are there.

In the third, I would take either of the two above or Pat Watkins.

burmafrd

Reaction score
As has been pointed out- tackling ability is an absolute must since the FS is the last guy between the end zone and the WR. So 4.4 speed is a great thing to have; recovery time is critical as well. Of course coverage skills are a must. BUT you have to have some size as well. over 6'0 and over 200 lbs are the minimums. Jason Allen seems to fit all those and is considered smart and a leader as well.

Woods

Reaction score
Whitner
J Allen
or Bullocks in the 2nd, and in that order.

Watkins or Smith in the 3rd, or
D. Manning in the 4th, if we can pick up a 4th rounder.

I doubt Whitner or Allen will be around for our 49th overall pick (I think that's what we have in the 2nd round), but you never know.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Allen in the second would be ideal but I don't think he'll drop that far. Zemaitis would be great in round two also.

Without either of those two, I'd like to see Smith or Lowry in the fourth with a player like Coleman brought in as insurance.

I'm not really sold on Watkins.

Woods

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
Allen in the second would be ideal but I don't think he'll drop that far. Zemaitis would be great in round two also.

Without either of those two, I'd like to see Smith or Lowry in the fourth with a player like Coleman brought in as insurance.

I'm not really sold on Watkins.

Zemaitis seems like an interesting player in that he's versaltile enough to also play FS in the pros given his size, etc. And I guess we could also have him play CB in a pinch.

I think he's another 2nd rounder projection.