Which scenario seems likely?

rpntex

Reaction score
So here we are, 7 games into the season, at the team’s bye week. After a typical roller coaster ride under Jason Garrett, we lose one, win one....etc. Now we sit at 3 wins, 4 losses with a tougher schedule ahead and two games back of the average deadskins in the loss column.

But....the front office, seeing another season slipping away, stepped up and (overpaid) acquired a top shelf WR with about a year and a half of guaranteed time with the team. Certainly an upgrade for this team which clearly has had the worst receiving corps in the NFL.

Whatever we think of this trade, it’s done, Cooper's here, and we have 9 games to try parlay that into something better than what we have seen to this point.

With that said, what are your expectations NOW, for the rest of the season? If we have pushed the “RESET” button on this season, what do expect?

Here are what I consider to be possible scenarios from best to worst, from here on:

Scenario 1- the team is energized and improved with the Cooper trade, offense improves dramatically, defense continues being strong, and the team goes 7-2 or 8-1 to finish strong at either 10-6 or 11-5 and win the division. Maybe even wins a playoff game or two.

Scenario 2- team improves on offense but not enough to make drastic improvements in the WIN COLUMN, goes 5-4 the rest of the way, finishes 8-8, is eliminated in mid December, doesn’t make the playoffs. Cooper helps, but it’s not enough.

Scenario 3- the team doesn’t improve on offense, either because Cooper doesn’t make a difference, defense slides, or injuries to key positions hit, or Garrett loses the team and a free fall ensues. Team finishes 3-6 rest of the way to go 6-10 overall.

Obviously, Scenario 1 is best case, and what Cowboys fans would want. Scenario 2 is in the middle, keeping us about where we are but without making the playoffs. Scenario 3 is obviously worst case. In any of these scenarios, one thing remains- however we finish, there will not be a #1 draft pick next year.

Which scenario do you think happens AND WHY?

Me- realistically, I see this team finishing in Scenario 2- 8-8, maybe 7-9. I just can’t see the acquisition of Cooper at midseason being enough to overcome the bad work done by this Head Coach. This team should at the very least be 4-3, maybe 5-2. I can’t see how adding a good WR suddenly makes this team a force to be reckoned with.

Your thoughts?

Scenario 1..

Dallas was one or two plays from winning both at Houston and at Washington. I play maker such as pooper could have made the difference once or twice per game… In other words, Dallas was that close to being 5-2, rather that 3-4.

That being said, I don’t see them going 8-1, or even 7-2 the rest of the way. I can easily see them going 6-3, and I believe a 9-7 record will win this division.

I believe this move by the front office well and still a little confidence as well. It sends a message to the team that Jerry and Company are not giving up on this season.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
So here we are, 7 games into the season, at the team’s bye week. After a typical roller coaster ride under Jason Garrett, we lose one, win one....etc. Now we sit at 3 wins, 4 losses with a tougher schedule ahead and two games back of the average deadskins in the loss column.

But....the front office, seeing another season slipping away, stepped up and (overpaid) acquired a top shelf WR with about a year and a half of guaranteed time with the team. Certainly an upgrade for this team which clearly has had the worst receiving corps in the NFL.

Whatever we think of this trade, it’s done, Cooper's here, and we have 9 games to try parlay that into something better than what we have seen to this point.

With that said, what are your expectations NOW, for the rest of the season? If we have pushed the “RESET” button on this season, what do expect?

Here are what I consider to be possible scenarios from best to worst, from here on:

Scenario 1- the team is energized and improved with the Cooper trade, offense improves dramatically, defense continues being strong, and the team goes 7-2 or 8-1 to finish strong at either 10-6 or 11-5 and win the division. Maybe even wins a playoff game or two.

Scenario 2- team improves on offense but not enough to make drastic improvements in the WIN COLUMN, goes 5-4 the rest of the way, finishes 8-8, is eliminated in mid December, doesn’t make the playoffs. Cooper helps, but it’s not enough.

Scenario 3- the team doesn’t improve on offense, either because Cooper doesn’t make a difference, defense slides, or injuries to key positions hit, or Garrett loses the team and a free fall ensues. Team finishes 3-6 rest of the way to go 6-10 overall.

Obviously, Scenario 1 is best case, and what Cowboys fans would want. Scenario 2 is in the middle, keeping us about where we are but without making the playoffs. Scenario 3 is obviously worst case. In any of these scenarios, one thing remains- however we finish, there will not be a #1 draft pick next year.

Which scenario do you think happens AND WHY?

Me- realistically, I see this team finishing in Scenario 2- 8-8, maybe 7-9. I just can’t see the acquisition of Cooper at midseason being enough to overcome the bad work done by this Head Coach. This team should at the very least be 4-3, maybe 5-2. I can’t see how adding a good WR suddenly makes this team a force to be reckoned with.

Your thoughts?

I'd say between 2 and 3. Cooper might help a little, but it will be minimal.

Jimbo69

Reaction score
This year: scenario 2
Next year: scenario 2
Year after that: scenario 2
Etc
Etc
Etc .......