Which type of coach (from 4 categories) will JJ choose?

erod

Reaction score
I think this is a very astute observation. Too many here assume he wants change. He doesn’t. Garrett was the perfect puppet for his dreams. And now that dream has crashed.
Jerry may slow play this so all the big make candidates are hired elsewhere.

Then he appoints Jason Witten.

Lol

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Jerry is going to go with what he perceives as the biggest splash. Keep the Cowboys in the news, raise those expectations for next year, hope it works out best for football ops.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think this is a very astute observation. Too many here assume he wants change. He doesn’t. Garrett was the perfect puppet for his dreams. And now that dream has crashed.
Agree with you and E. Very unpredictable. Last thing Jerry wants to do is let Garrett go.

Id assumed Garrett is ready to leave but if he truly wants to stay maybe it’s not off the table Jerry extends him a season or two. Then makes several changes with asst coaches.

conner01

Reaction score
We need, The accomplished veteran NFL HC-. this team needs to be rebuilt from the ground up and that may require a seasoned NFL coach as most of the experienced coaches and assistants around here need to step off

Edit- If the Steelers dont want Tomlin, Id be happy to get him here. He knows how a team needs to be run
I’d love Tomlin but can’t see him leaving
The Steelers make good hires and stuck with them

conner01

Reaction score
Jerry is going to go with what he perceives as the biggest splash. Keep the Cowboys in the news, raise those expectations for next year, hope it works out best for football ops.
That’s typical jerry and I think spot on
The only bright side to that is the big splash this year may not be too bad
I think Meyer would be the biggest splash because everyone has heard and knows about him

MikeB80

Reaction score
What about where most coaches come from? Successful assistants/coordinators from other teams?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten could be the perfect puppet in training type Jerry could go with. Maybe even Romo.
Both sadly plausible. And both are completely unprepared for a job of that kind of magnitude. Neither is even ready enough to be an OC much less a HC. But Jerry has always had very little respect for the importance of having a strong HC. It’s the cornerstone of what has crippled us for a quarter of a century.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Both sadly plausible. And both are completely unprepared for a job of that kind of magnitude. Neither is even ready enough to be an OC much less a HC. But Jerry has always had very little respect for the importance of having a strong HC. It’s the cornerstone of what has crippled us for a quarter of a century.

if they were going to go that route why not Dan Campbell. He has been paying his dues throughout this decade and payton made him the assistant head coach for a reason. I imagine campbell since he and witten are friends would hire witten as his tight ends coach.

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
Why? I mean like Meyer too but why should we believe Jerry is willing to do what it takes to get him? I see zero evidence he is willing to change. Hope I’m wrong but please tell me why you believe he will Meyer.
Jerry has a great relationship with Garrett. Moving on from him won’t be easy. If Jerry wanted a yes-man, he’d just keep Garrett. He doesn’t move on from him unless he’s prepared to make drastic changes, IMO.

And the signs are all there. Jerry publicly criticized the coaching staff on several occasions this year. Combine that with Meyer’s expressed interest and the reports that Stephen has already been in contact with him, there’s reason for optimism.

Pretty much everyone is in agreement that Meyer is exactly the type of coach Dallas needs, it’s just a matter of whether Jerry will take a step back or not. Keep in mind, Jerry has already taken many steps back. Jerry didn’t want to release Dez, they did. Jerry wanted to draft Manziel, they didn’t. Will McClay runs the draft. Stephen handles the business decisions. The natural progression is to hire a real coach to handle all the football decisions. I think he’s finally ready, especially now that he’s getting up there in age.

I understand the skepticism, but I like our chances.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
In my opinion, there are four types of coaches Jerry Jones will consider to hire as the next HC of the DC. In the end, will he select the right type? I doubt it.

Here are the head coach “types” Jerry could choose from:
  • The young college up and comer- this would be someone like Lincoln Riley or Matt Rhule, although Rhule has a much better resume for the NFL having already been an NFL position coach earlier in his career. There are high risks and possible high rewards. I would point out that unlike Jimmy Johnson, neither Riley nor Rhule has won a national championship or had long term success yet. Of these twoI think Rhule is way better choice. He has won big with far less talent than Lincoln Riley.
  • The established college master- this would be someone like Urban Meyer or Nick Saban (although Saban is not a candidate) This is the “type” most like Jimmy Johnson was. An established winner of national championships, strong program builder, and requires a strong hand in the job or they won’t take it. I like Meyer, and I think he’s an excellent choice but only IF JJ relinquished some power. He won’t, which means Meyer won’t take the job. The people who keep saying Jerry will do this aren’t paying attention IMO.
  • The accomplished veteran NFL HC- this would be someone like Ron Rivera or Mike McCarthy who have some playoff skins on the wall, and some established respect. This type more closely resembles the Bill Parcells hire. This is actually IMO, the second most like scenario because Jerry probably wants someone who won’t require on the job training (like Garrett did) But the balancer is Jerry would only stay with guy a few years- again like Parcells.
  • The Agreeable Puppet- this would either be someone like Jason Garrett- a current NFL assistant with some potential but not strong enough to threaten JJs ego. This would be another Chan Gailey- a lesser known assistant who would not have the clout to demand the appropriate amount of control, or an NFL assistant who has already been a HC and failed like Wade Phillips. This is the type Jerry instinctively wants to hire. We must pray he avoids his instincts.
Of all the “types” I listed, what I’m hoping for is someone who will have these qualities:
1. Strong personality that can command and re-shape this soft country club culture.
2. Experience with a rebuild. Someone who took a program and rebuilt or revitalized it.
3. Creativity- someone who can be adaptive and creative during the game and during the season. Coaches who are winning in the NFL now MUST be creative.​

Key questions:
  • Which type of coach does this team need most?
  • Will Jerry go against his crazy, insecure and irrational instincts and select someone who fits the real needs of this team?
  • Or will he select his next Pinocchio?
Dream : belichick
Within the realm of possibility: McCarthy

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry has a great relationship with Garrett. Moving on from him won’t be easy. If Jerry wanted a yes-man, he’d just keep Garrett. He doesn’t move on from him unless he’s prepared to make drastic changes, IMO.

And the signs are all there. Jerry publicly criticized the coaching staff on several occasions this year. Combine that with Meyer’s expressed interest and the reports that Stephen has already been in contact with him, there’s reason for optimism.

Pretty much everyone is in agreement that Meyer is exactly the type of coach Dallas needs, it’s just a matter of whether Jerry will take a step back or not. Keep in mind, Jerry has already taken many steps back. Jerry didn’t want to release Dez, they did. Jerry wanted to draft Manziel, they didn’t. Will McClay runs the draft. Stephen handles the business decisions. The natural progression is to hire a real coach to handle all the football decisions. I think he’s finally ready, especially now that he’s getting up there in age.

I understand the skepticism, but I like our chances.
Good response. Maybe I’m just too cynical. I want to believe JJ wants to do better but his recent comments and history make it very hard for me to believe.