Which type of coach (from 4 categories) will JJ choose?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jerry will turn whoever the next HC is into one of his puppets. The man who writes the checks is always pulling the strings.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think it will be a puppet but he did use the word "comfortable" in describing his reservation with another HC so it will be someone he doesn't feel will rock his boat. This HC to get in his face, that some want, will not be the guy.

But let's examine what we don't like about the present HC, is it because he understands how to deal with Booger? Or is it the sideline gaffes and failure to make adjustments during the games? I do believe Booger is too involved in the team but not on game day, I think he's out of it because he's second guessed too many of Garrett's decisions to the media. He could have called down to the sideline.

This team needs the kind of guy that can manage up and down. He's got to take care of the Joneses and let Booger have his spotlight and instill belief and confidence in his team. That's the real difference when the chips are down and why the Chiefs, Eagles, Patriots and Ravens' players respond, they believe. Pederson even had a bunch of no names believing.

I spent most of my career involved with trying to inspire and motivate salespeople and there was a phrase in our business that fits the NFL or any sports team, I had to "sell the sellers". I believe the players when they say they like and respect Garrett but I do not think they believe in him. They've seen too many instances for him to show his quality and he's failed them.

It's just this simple. Military historians say one of the most amazing events of modern warfare was Patton's march and his strategy at Bastogne and they doubt any other General would have accomplished that. His men would have been questioning the logic and strategy had they not believed in him. That FUBAR phrase was created for most of the high command except for him.

I think that is the answer to why this talent underperformed, they simply lost belief at the critical times. In 2018, they won close games but their belief slipped in 2019 to where they lost them.

Whoever Booger hires, he must sell the team that he's the guy and that's why a HC with some credentials may be necessary. That was the magic that Parcells brought to turn a 5 win team into a 10 win team, they played to their talent level because they believed he would make them better.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
In my opinion, there are four types of coaches Jerry Jones will consider to hire as the next HC of the DC. In the end, will he select the right type? I doubt it.

Here are the head coach “types” Jerry could choose from:
  • The young college up and comer- this would be someone like Lincoln Riley or Matt Rhule, although Rhule has a much better resume for the NFL having already been an NFL position coach earlier in his career. There are high risks and possible high rewards. I would point out that unlike Jimmy Johnson, neither Riley nor Rhule has won a national championship or had long term success yet. Of these twoI think Rhule is way better choice. He has won big with far less talent than Lincoln Riley.
  • The established college master- this would be someone like Urban Meyer or Nick Saban (although Saban is not a candidate) This is the “type” most like Jimmy Johnson was. An established winner of national championships, strong program builder, and requires a strong hand in the job or they won’t take it. I like Meyer, and I think he’s an excellent choice but only IF JJ relinquished some power. He won’t, which means Meyer won’t take the job. The people who keep saying Jerry will do this aren’t paying attention IMO.
  • The accomplished veteran NFL HC- this would be someone like Ron Rivera or Mike McCarthy who have some playoff skins on the wall, and some established respect. This type more closely resembles the Bill Parcells hire. This is actually IMO, the second most like scenario because Jerry probably wants someone who won’t require on the job training (like Garrett did) But the balancer is Jerry would only stay with guy a few years- again like Parcells.
  • The Agreeable Puppet- this would either be someone like Jason Garrett- a current NFL assistant with some potential but not strong enough to threaten JJs ego. This would be another Chan Gailey- a lesser known assistant who would not have the clout to demand the appropriate amount of control, or an NFL assistant who has already been a HC and failed like Wade Phillips. This is the type Jerry instinctively wants to hire. We must pray he avoids his instincts.
Of all the “types” I listed, what I’m hoping for is someone who will have these qualities:
1. Strong personality that can command and re-shape this soft country club culture.
2. Experience with a rebuild. Someone who took a program and rebuilt or revitalized it.
3. Creativity- someone who can be adaptive and creative during the game and during the season. Coaches who are winning in the NFL now MUST be creative.​

Key questions:
  • Which type of coach does this team need most?
  • Will Jerry go against his crazy, insecure and irrational instincts and select someone who fits the real needs of this team?
  • Or will he select his next Pinocchio?

I hope I am wrong but choice 4 would be my guess.