Whispers from the Star (latest 01/31/20 Friday)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JJT frustrates me. I think I see ambition in his work. I bought his book and read it. But I'd not put his book into the top 5 that any Cowboy's fan should read. Pete Golenbock he is not.
But the reality is, Peter's book is 22 years old..

D-
JJT might be the biggest idiot in human history.

His only rivals are likely Darwin Award winners like the guy that died by pulling a Coke machine over onto himself when it took his money and didn't give him a Coke.

He has gone full TMZ mode in recent years.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Richard is just a middling coach. He has a good year in 2018 that raised his profile. After 2019, he wasnt gonna get any HC jobs and even DC jobs were very unlikely. He was always going to have to go back to being a secondary coach. Maybe JJT is right and he gets the SF passing game coordinator job. Thats the best he will be able to do right now in regards to the NFL
Ken Norton Jr is the 9ers DC I believe.

I would take him over just about anyone out there.

dwmyers

Reaction score
JJT might be the biggest idiot in human history.

His only rivals are likely Darwin Award winners like the guy that died by pulling a Coke machine over onto himself when it took his money and didn't give him a Coke.

He has gone full TMZ mode in recent years.

It's a good gig if you can be a media personality.

Back in the day when I read the Sporting News online routinely, JJT wrote for them, a short weekly column on the Dallas Cowboys. The writing was focused and good. That's my memory at least. Might have been another venue. But in short, he's capable of good work.

But he's not an analyst. Kobe Bryant had more analytics under his pinkie nail than JJT ever has (check out Kobe Bryant's show 'Detail' on Youtube sometime).

phildadon86

Reaction score
wrong ? really ?

"It's possible, of course, that owner and de facto general manager Jerry Jones wanted to keep Moore at all costs and made McCarthy agree to relinquish the play-calling duties as a condition of his hiring. Jones essentially groomed Garrett to become the team's head coach after he came up through the organization as a bright offensive mind, so it's possible he's taking a similar approach with Moore.

It's also possible McCarthy simply evaluated the Dallas offense and decided against interfering too much with a unit that had success.

"Between us, we can take this offense forward another step," he said Thursday of his pairing with Moore, per ESPN's Todd Archer. "

-bleacherreport
It’s possible. Starting the whole quote

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a good gig if you can be a media personality.

Back in the day when I read the Sporting News online routinely, JJT wrote for them, a short weekly column on the Dallas Cowboys. The writing was focused and good. That's my memory at least. Might have been another venue. But in short, he's capable of good work.

But he's not an analyst. Kobe Bryant had more analytics under his pinkie nail than JJT ever has (check out Kobe Bryant's show 'Detail' on Youtube sometime).

When "reporters" sound like idiots but their writing seems much better, it's because they're getting help with the writing. It happens often in sports media. A reporter has the job/name and a college assistant (intern) does most of the writing.

quickccc

Reaction score
In your earlier post about Stephen and his role vs. his dad..

I found this..

------------------------------
Not signing the tag may be about all Prescott can do, but he knows that it is likely a very effective tactic. Given the way it took Elliott a few games to get up to speed, it is also likely that the Jones family, given the greater role Jerry’s son Stephen now has, will be motivated to avoid letting things drag out.

----------------------------

This was posted today. So take whatever fits your points.

Stephen will have his impact in the days ahead and it will be different from Pop.

Which has nothing to do with Jerry and the locker room interviews.
Jerry is going fulfill that desire until the day his body mind and lips is still capable and don't fail him.
Stephen has always been handling the cap management for awhile, but nowadays more and more of the personnel movement with trades, resigns, new vet signees, intereaction with mcclay with draft and roster decisions.

This is where Jerry has gradually let Stephen and mcclay lead the charge in personnel decisions instead of him being the lead dog.

But it has nothing to do with Jerry voicing his post game views and opinions and analysis in the locker room.
While it remains unusual for an NFL owner to be an every week constant in the pre game and post game analyisis... especially with his reflecting game views immediately in the locker room,
that's just the usual Jerry staying involved the way he likes to in that capacity.

And not Stephen nor McCarthy is going to change that.
Heck, If not for his hip replacement issues, he'd probably still roaming the sidelines....

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Which has nothing to do with Jerry and the locker room interviews.
Jerry is going fulfill that desire until the day his body mind and lips is still capable and don't fail him.
Stephen has always been handling the cap management for awhile, but nowadays more and more of the personnel movement with trades, resigns, new vet signees, intereaction with mcclay with draft and roster decisions.

This is where Jerry has gradually let Stephen and mcclay lead the charge in personnel decisions instead of him being the lead dog.

But it has nothing to do with Jerry voicing his post game views and opinions and analysis in the locker room.
While it remains unusual for an NFL owner to be an every week constant in the pre game and post game analyisis... especially with his reflecting game views immediately in the locker room,
that's just the usual Jerry staying involved the way he likes to in that capacity.

And not Stephen nor McCarthy is going to change that.
Heck, If not for his hip replacement issues, he'd probably still roaming the sidelines....
I think we maybe answering different ideas here.

Let me re-read it and I will re-address this post for you.

:huh:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.kesn1033.com/2020/01/31/jam-whispers-from-the-star-offseason-pt-5/

Whispers from the Star for 01/31/20 Friday - Per Jean Jacque Taylor 103.3 ESPN radio Jam Session

Highlights:

- Why hasn't Kris Richard been hired yet ? - what were the plus and minus of Kris Richard

- why hasn't other departed Cowboys assistants been hired yet (Gary Brown, Sandray Lal, Ben Bloom, Greg jackson)

- Is Kellen Moore (Time Based offense) vs Mike McCarthy (West Coast offense) are a future
conflicting recipe for disaster ?

They haven't been hired b/c they are a collection of men whose talents do not rise to the level of the NFL. Kris Richard's reputation was made on the back of Pete Carrol. He flopped here and will now have to take a step down.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Keeping Kellen Moore is a Jerrah decision , he wanted to keep everyone in the offense & Big Mac negotiated that .

Keeping Kellen is a recipe for disaster . Yes indeed . Because its a Jerry move.

Why can't you accept that this is McCarthy's decision to retain Moore and 2 other coaches for that matter? I don't think McCarthy is a liar. He already explained that he doesn't want to reinvent the offense wheel. I am not convinced that Kellen Moore is the right offensive coordinator long term but I don't automatically think that every coaching staff decision made that I like is because of McCarthy, the one's I don't like are because Jerry is meddling.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not think Stephen is as fixed in his vision like Jerrah is.

Tunnel vision that is. I have very little knowledge of how the inner workings b/w father and son really work.

Just the reported disagreements over Johnny Mansel went down and other thinly reported interactions they have had.

Stephen seems more open minded compared to Dad. That's just my feeling.
I'm on board with that.

quickccc

Reaction score
They haven't been hired b/c they are a collection of men whose talents do not rise to the level of the NFL. Kris Richard's reputation was made on the back of Pete Carrol. He flopped here and will now have to take a step down.

in Richards' defense, i thought he was short-changed and handcuffed by both management and his coaching staff that he inherited:
1- he had to work with the DBs that were already placed here before he arrived - to his credit look what he did to resurrect byrons' career move.
2 - Management (see Stephen) did him no favors by not being able to acquire Earl Thomas- i can understand balking at Seattle trade offer demands, but
once Earl was an UFA, Stephen low balled ET, and he was off to another pro bowl season with another NFL team per Ravens,
3- Richard (per JJT) was denied hiring of his own LB coach and was forced to work with Ben Bloom whom managed adored. Result internal conflict.
4 - the other side was also being forced to work with the mess Marinelli put in front of him with his assorted problems, (run gap issues, Taco pick, questionable, untimely sub packages, his low regards for the 1 tech role, etc.)
5 Never understood why HC- management did not give Richard full reins of handing whole defensive operation instead of this Marinelli DC, Richard play caller and pass game coordinator, etc. no wonder Matt Eberfus got outta town with the way team was handling this mess.
6- if there is so much mutiny and chaos among coaching staff, how do we expect players gonna continue to follow and respect their leaders ?.. and yes, that includes the main head overseer too.

Kaiser

Reaction score
When "reporters" sound like idiots but their writing seems much better, it's because they're getting help with the writing. It happens often in sports media. A reporter has the job/name and a college assistant (intern) does most of the writing.

For JJ Taylor the intern is Elmo.

maxresdefault.jpg

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Good for Richard if he doesnt want a step down. If the worst about him is hes mean yet the source says he knows football in and out then i hope he gets another DC job 100 percent

Kaiser

Reaction score
in Richards' defense, i thought he was short-changed and handcuffed by both management and his coaching staff that he inherited:
1- he had to work with the DBs that were already placed here before he arrived - to his credit look what he did to resurrect byrons' career move.

So everything good was Richard and everything bad was everyone else. Got it.

Richard wasn't shortchanged on DBs, he had an All Pro that was former #1, a #2 pick, a #3 pick and Anthony Brown - who Richard chose to start at slot CB over the 3rd round CB.

And you have an odd definition of "low ball" when the Ravens paid 55 Million to a 30 year old Earl Thomas when he was coming off two major injuries.