Who’s the best candidate for swing tackle?

CCBoy

Reaction score
I've read for now, they are content to give Ball & Waletzko every chance to compete w/other young players behind them. Regardless of who wins the competition at swing tackle, fans need to pay attention, because there’s a good chance they might see plenty of them this season.

I am content at watching real football players put real heart into this team and challenge the NFL as a Cowboy.

I am happy with these very prospects...forged in fire and came out steel!

fivetwos

Reaction score
It's the biggest question mark on the roster.

• Option 1:
    • Josh Ball: 2021 4th round pick.
    • Matt Waletzko: Rookie 5th round pick. Looked better in Senior Bowl 1-on-1 drills than Penning.
    • Aviante Collins: 4th season in the NFL including practice squad. 1 start with Vikings in 2019.

• Option 2:
    • Sign a veteran OT during camp or after the cut to 53.
    • There will likely be some cap cuts of older veteran starters that were replaced by a premium draft pick.

• Option 3:
    • Move Steel to LT and use one of the above at RT.

• Option 4:
    • Move Steele to LT and Martin to RT.
    • McGovern or Farniok at RG.

• Option 5:
    • Move Tyler Smith to LT with McGovern or Farniok at LG.
The best option, in case of in game injury or during the week, is Steele moving from starting RT to LT, with either Ball or Martin going to RT.

That beats moving Tyler to LT when he is trying to learn LG IMO.

Also, if they sign a vet swing, where's the roster room for the developmental guys that they must think can be fringe starters considering the draft capital used.

I'd rather bet on the upside of a Waletzko than use that roster spot on a Nsheke or Erving type.

Worst case, I wouldn't think a vet backup swing tackle would be that difficult to acquire at end of camp time if need be. Meanwhile give the kids a shot.

Reactions: CWR

ESisback

Reaction score
I've read for now, they are content to give Ball & Waletzko every chance to compete w/other young players behind them. Regardless of who wins the competition at swing tackle, fans need to pay attention, because there’s a good chance they might see plenty of them this season.
Yep

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
In the 2014 offseason, Broaddus said that OT Darion Weems looked great at the beginning of camp and that Jermey Parnell was struggling.
Broaddus predicted that Weems would be the Swing Tackle and that Parnell would be cut.
  • Within 1 year:
    • Weems was cut.
    • Parnell started 7 games and gave up a total of 1 sack. He was an elite run blocker in those games.
    • Parnell in 2015 received a 32M contract from another team.
    • Weems was briefly with another team, active for a total of 6 games with zero starts before being completely out of the NFL within 2 years.
This has got to be Mickey Spags account lol

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Early in free agency, you aren’t signing backup vets. You are signing starters. The swing tackles willing to take backup money are sad sacks early in free agency. I think Dallas is doing the right thing. We have tackles on the roster who need to play in camp and preseason so we know if they can be a backup or not. Veteran OTs will be released throughout training camps and preseason, including final cutdowns. That’s a good time to get a better quality swing tackle. Finding tackles on the street early hasn’t worked out for us the past few years because they are guys who just aren’t good anymore.
I hope you are right sir!
Hard to believe quality OTs will just be waived,
then you have to compete with other NFL teams for them.

conner01

Reaction score

• Option 1:
    • Matt Waletzko: Rookie 5th round pick. Looked better in Senior Bowl 1-on-1 drills than Penning.
    • Aviante Collins: 4th season in the NFL including practice squad. 1 start with Vikings in 2019.

• Option 2:
    • There will likely be some cap cuts of older veteran starters that were replaced by a premium draft pick.

• Option 3:

• Option 4:

• Option 5:
It sounds like the team is thinking option 6 if Tyron goes down

Fizziksman

BanditHiro
Reaction score
Steele is still our swing tackle. If Smith gets hurts Steele is going to be the one to switch over.

shabazz

Reaction score
Major fail on the front office for not addressing this need in the early part of free agency.
Tyrone has not played a full season season since 2015.
What are they thinking?
We only have hopefuls on the roster as backups.
I hope Dak does not get killed.

I don’t see Dak getting killed. Not with his lightning fast release and escapibilty……and the leadership qualities too

conner01

Reaction score
Zero idea. It’s just a hunch I have because they just cut bait with Collins so easily.
Ball has the raw talent to play tackle in the nfl
How much more developing does he need? The list year last year really set him back
Wally is intriguing to me. He needs developed but he kinda reminds me of Doug free. He’s a guy who understands the position but just isn’t physically ready for the nfl. He is a project but I’ve watched highlights, which I know are only the good, but I see a guy who understands the position but really needs to grow strength wise
One, or even better both of these guys might be able to play. Assuming we don’t sign anyone then one will be the active 3rd tackle on game day. Ball seems the most logical just because he’s physically more ready but we haven’t seen anything
This camp is really huge for him. Since they haven’t signed a vet it appears they want one of them to be that guy and hopefully one is. But there are still options out there if needed

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Ball has the raw talent to play tackle in the nfl
How much more developing does he need? The list year last year really set him back
Wally is intriguing to me. He needs developed but he kinda reminds me of Doug free. He’s a guy who understands the position but just isn’t physically ready for the nfl. He is a project but I’ve watched highlights, which I know are only the good, but I see a guy who understands the position but really needs to grow strength wise
One, or even better both of these guys might be able to play. Assuming we don’t sign anyone then one will be the active 3rd tackle on game day. Ball seems the most logical just because he’s physically more ready but we haven’t seen anything
This camp is really huge for him. Since they haven’t signed a vet it appears they want one of them to be that guy and hopefully one is. But there are still options out there if needed
We really need ball to step up this season, we have little depth there.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

• Option 1:

• Option 2:

• Option 3:

• Option 4:

• Option 5:

Option 5 seems like the primary one right now. It probably will change only if Ball or Waletzko prove they can handle the role. At the moment, two guards with at least some NFL experience have to have a leg up on the two tackles. But who knows, much like Steele came out of seemingly nowhere to start at right tackle when Collins got injured, it could even be another UDFA, like Amon Simon from Texas A&M-Commerce. It'll be interesting to watch.