Who’s your favorite D Coordinator of all time?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mine would have been Jim Johnson because he did it with so many different personnel packages but he also had a lot of talent but then Belichick comes along and rewrites the book on utilizing his ordinance better than any DC I've seen.

It's not just "do your job" with him because he has a job for every player that suits up, there is no small job, no unimportant detail to him. And hid wheel never stops turning, the job is never done. I'd bet that immediately after every SB he's won, he's already thinking about the changes for next season. He's earned the title "Mad Scientist".

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Not that he was a DC, but I always thought Jimmy Johnson's approach to playing defense was great. A lot different than other teams, at the time, IIRC.

Otherwise, I think Jim Johnson is a pretty good one.

GenoT

Reaction score
Gotta go with Tom Landry. He invented the 4-3 defense in the ‘50s and his later Flex Defense was revolutionary and very successful in its day.

Last edited:

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I like people that change the game and how it is played. Landry with his Flex D and Ryan with the 46 D. BB is not so much a creator but more of a tactician. He believes in developing the perfect plan and then changing his D to work the plan. Not easy thing to do but he has pulled it off.

Of course my Favorite is Tom L. Im a Cowboys fan first and foremost. But I have mad respect for people like Ryan, BB and LeBeau - he invented the modern day zone blitzes.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Favorite? Jim Johnson was awesome to watch the chaos his defenses created.
Best? Hoodie.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I’m sure Landry will get a lot of praise for his flex defense, but being 34 years old, my favorite is Jim Johnson.

4-3 base with some 3-3-5 in nickel. Exotic blitzes and caused chaos for a decade on the NFC East. To me Johnson was more responsible than Donovan for the Eagles run.

What’s your favorite DC or scheme? Not meant to be applied to this teams personnel.
  1. Tom Landry who was DC, OC, and HC for 29 years. Invented the 4-3 and replace it with the Flex.
  2. Tuna (Bill Parcells) and the real Bill the Builder (Bill Belichick) - Parcells and Bill Belichick is why everyone recognize a 3-4 defense.
  3. Jimmy Johnson and Dave Wannesdat - It was Jimmy Johnson's defense (Miami stack/attack 4-3 D) but Wannesdat master it.
  4. Tony Dungy - Pittsburgh and Tampa Cover 2 nuff said. Even though Bud Carson started it, Dungy refined it and gave it its legacy.
  5. Marvin Lewis - Ravens and Bengals showed he mastered the 3-4 D. It was not Dick Nolan's son.
  6. Buddy and Son's - The 46 Defense is like the Flex Defense. It dies with the creators.
  7. Son of a Bum - Mr. Fix it and his Dad created and had a long success with the Phillips 3/4
Everyone else just copied these guys.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Well...It helps to have Ray Lewis in the middle. Scary thing is....Now we have the dope that turned the Ravens Super Bowl winning 4-3 defense...into a 3-4...as our coordinator. Will never understand that move.

It wasn't Nolan's decision for Siragusa to retire and Adams to get too expensive for the Ravens to keep. The Ravens lost their top 5 defensive linemen before Nolan took over as the DC. It isn't difficult to understand why the Ravens made the switch to the 3-4 at the time. The 3-4 better matched the personnel that they had when he arrived. The GM and the HC hired Nolan and were cool with the change. He didn't go in there and dictate the move. They made the move and hired him for that transition. A big complaint I have heard about Dallas the last few seasons is they try to force a scheme on players not suited for it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There can be a lot of difference between "favorite" and "best".

As for "best", what Buddy Ryan did with the 85' Bears was phenomenal, and his Eagles defenses were stellar as well. OF course, he wasn't exactly void of talent in either place, but it all clicked with him in charge. That said, he wouldn't be my "favorite" simply because he was an A-Hole.

Favorite might be Dave Wannstedt because he had to blend together a mixed bag of draft picks (some not particularly high draft picks) and free agents acquired or cast off from other teams in pretty short order, and he did so in a way that created an attacking, opportunistic defense. I think the contribution of those defenses is sometimes overlooked because of the strength of the offensive personnel, but look what the defense did in those Super Bowls. NINE turnovers and 2 defensive TDs in the first Super Bowl against the Bills, and 3 turnovers and 1 defensive TD in the 2nd one while shutting down Thurman Thomas and only giving up 1 TD.

Last edited:

eromeopolk

Reaction score
  1. Tom Landry who was DC, OC, and HC for 29 years. Invented the 4-3 and replace it with the Flex.
  2. Tuna (Bill Parcells) and the real Bill the Builder (Bill Belichick) - Parcells and Bill Belichick is why everyone recognize a 3-4 defense.
  3. Jimmy Johnson and Dave Wannesdat - It was Jimmy Johnson's defense (Miami stack/attack 4-3 D) but Wannesdat master it.
  4. Tony Dungy - Pittsburgh and Tampa Cover 2 nuff said. Even though Bud Carson started it, Dungy refined it and gave it its legacy.
  5. Marvin Lewis - Ravens and Bengals showed he mastered the 3-4 D. It was not Dick Nolan's son.
  6. Buddy and Son's - The 46 Defense is like the Flex Defense. It dies with the creators.
  7. Son of a Bum - Mr. Fix it and his Dad created and had a long success with the Phillips 3/4
Everyone else just copied these guys.
At no. 1 please add Tom Landry and Ernie Stautner who made Anthony Dickerson a star sack LB until Parcells actually came in with a 3-4 and Demarcus Ware.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m sure Landry will get a lot of praise for his flex defense, but being 34 years old, my favorite is Jim Johnson.

4-3 base with some 3-3-5 in nickel. Exotic blitzes and caused chaos for a decade on the NFC East. To me Johnson was more responsible than Donovan for the Eagles run.

What’s your favorite DC or scheme? Not meant to be applied to this teams personnel.
Ernie Stautner!!! I met him at an airport when I was a kid. Huge calf muscles!!!!!!

quickccc

Reaction score
People forget how darn good Marvin Lewis was. Not a great head coach but an amazing defensive coordinator.

probably because there's been a selection of other defensive coordinators that have had success with the Ravens defense following
Marvin Lewis, and his defenses in Cincy weren't too good thus the defensive rep lost it's stock.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Buddy Ryan and his 46 defense that took a long time for teams to figure out. Dick Lebeau with the Steelers, but it has to be Bellicheck.

The 46 defense......man....people sure have forgot what a great team that 86 Bears team was. The only reason why people got away from that defense...is because the 49ers exposed they Bears lack of speed @ LBer. The Bears got old...Buddy Ryan left.....but the scheme itself...I still think could work today if you had LBer that could run....I mean really run...like 4.5 or better.

quickccc

Reaction score
At no. 1 please add Tom Landry and Ernie Stautner who made Anthony Dickerson a star sack LB until Parcells actually came in with a 3-4 and Demarcus Ware.

as i searched thru the archive videos, i don't even remember Anthony Dickerson getting a big number of starts.
Seems like Landry was too fixed on DD Lewis, Mike Hegman and Guy Brown for eons to come.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Interesting thread, problem we have is the rest of the guys that we can list had great personnel.

Hoodie takes your Tyrone Crawford and beats you in the head with him.

Its not close.

quickccc

Reaction score
my top 10 DCs of all time:

1) Bill Belichek
2) Buddy Ryan
3) Tom Landry
4) Jimmie Johnson
5) Tony Dungy
6) Bill Parcells
7) Monte Kiffin
8) Diiccck LeBeau
9) Wade Phillips
10) Vic Fangio

Note: Landry invented and revolutionized the 4-3 scheme, but what on earth was his infatuation with continuously using safeties as CBs?

Honorable mentions: Pete Carroll, George Seifert, Mike Zimmer, , Bud Carson

i'll need the old schooler's in here to tell me how good Vine Lombardi, George Allen, Bud Grant and Chuck Noll defenses were back in dah old days ...

quickccc

Reaction score
I like people that change the game and how it is played. Landry with his Flex D and Ryan with the 46 D. BB is not so much a creator but more of a tactician. He believes in developing the perfect plan and then changing his D to work the plan. Not easy thing to do but he has pulled it off.

Of course my Favorite is Tom L. Im a Cowboys fan first and foremost. But I have mad respect for people like Ryan, BB and LeBeau - he invented the modern day zone blitzes.

Killer Bee's
Purple People Eaters
Doomsday
Steel Curtain
Blitz-burgh
New York Sack Exchange
Tampa 2
Orange Crush
Legion of Boom ...............

:cool: