Who deserves the real blame

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The truth is, the real blame falls on the Giants, Eagles and Commanders. If at least one of them had been good the last 3 years, things would be viewed differently. Finishing 8-8 and coming in second or third place with the division winner having a 11-5, 12-4, etc. record would make the Cowboys 8-8 seasons look more anemic like they really are. The problem is that "having a chance to win the division in the last game" provides that "almost there" feeling that makes it too easy to maintain the status quo.

The sad thing is that winning the division seems to be the only goal. While it is always the first goal of every team, it's simply a stepping point. Even if the Cowboys had beat the Eagles, they were not going to beat the Seahawks, 49ers, Panthers, etc. I think the front office's mentality is that "if you get into the playoffs, anything's possible" ala the Giants. Realistically, that's the exception, not the norm, so the goals should be much higher.

/reality

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that's where the real blame is, but I mostly agree. I'm listening to Jerry's show and there's almost an assumption that if we just get over .500 next year, that if we just win that last game of the year, we'll win the division and be in the playoffs. But most years, nine wins doesn't win this division. Many years at least one team gets to 11 wins or more and even with nine wins there's no playoffs. If we'd been in the NFC West, we'd probably have finished about 6-10 at best this year with the exact same team. But the lousy state of this division has provided false hope and allowed Jerry to lower the bar, just as you say.

But even if the division does return to its usual state as one of the better ones in the league and 9-7 only gets you third place, I'm sure the sales job from Jerry will be that we won more games and the arrow is pointing up. So just another excuse to not change anything.

Zordon

Reaction score
the worst thing that happened to this franchise is when the 9-7 giants won the super bowl. jerry, the follower that he is, changed his complete outlook on the playoffs after that.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
The real blame for everything is Jerry Jones. As long as he's pulling the strings, 8-8 is best we can hope for.

Yep!

We've changed everything else apart from the GM and the one time he stepped back from being his usual self (with Parcells) things started to get better.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
The truth is, the real blame falls on the Giants, Eagles and Commanders. If at least one of them had been good the last 3 years, things would be viewed differently. Finishing 8-8 and coming in second or third place with the division winner having a 11-5, 12-4, etc. record would make the Cowboys 8-8 seasons look more anemic like they really are. The problem is that "having a chance to win the division in the last game" provides that "almost there" feeling that makes it too easy to maintain the status quo.

The sad thing is that winning the division seems to be the only goal. While it is always the first goal of every team, it's simply a stepping point. Even if the Cowboys had beat the Eagles, they were not going to beat the Seahawks, 49ers, Panthers, etc. I think the front office's mentality is that "if you get into the playoffs, anything's possible" ala the Giants. Realistically, that's the exception, not the norm, so the goals should be much higher.

/reality

I agree. Technically the winner of the Cowboys/Eagles game the other night was the loser. Eagles now get a first place schedule next year and a back 12 draft pick. The Eagles have zero chance of winning the super bowl.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not disagreeing with the idea that the front office and coaches have done a poor job here. What I'm saying is that the other NFC East teams have softened the blow of 8-8 seasons because the Cowboys have been in it until the last game each season. If the Eagles had been 12-4 this year, or the Commanders 12-4 last year, our 8-8 seasons would be harder to justify as "almost there" like Jerry and Garrett love to mention. We, as fans, expect a lot better than 8-8. I think even Jerry would too if the Cowboys were ending up 3-5 games out of first place.

BigMac6

Reaction score

/reality
That is what "politically correct" means. Lol.
Of course reading your post twice is evident who is to blame

Last edited:

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Some of you are completely missing the point. Reality is trying to explaining why perspectives of the team's success are so warped.

visionary

Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing with the idea that the front office and coaches have done a poor job here. .

its not just an idea, though, it is a fact

it is THE singular most important fact that explains our continuing mediocrity

all else pales in comparison

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Some of you are completely missing the point. Reality is trying to explaining why perspectives of the team's success are so warped.

I understand his approach. I just fail to see how the mediocrity of the division impacts the Cowboys or why Dallas should measure itself solely against its division. A great team transcends its division to compete against the league because, ultimately, you're going to have to defeat teams in the NFC to get to the Super Bowl.

Now, I do think having a great team lifts a division. Look at the NFC West. But it's the Cowboys obligation and responsibility to get better, regardless of the weakness of their division. It says more about the Cowboys, their front office and their coaching that they couldn't take this division the past three years. It was there for the taking, and we didn't take advantage of it because we're a very mediocre organization. If we had an owner and GM who knew anything about football, we should have had a stranglehold on the NFC East since 2007, much like the Patriots. We had the quarterback, the running back, the receivers and the defense. We just didn't build and replenish properly. And that's the fault of Jerry Jones and the front office.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Pursuit of the lead horse does drive your strategy. But ultimately the responsibility for the situation does fall on the guy holding the reins.

Over the years it has been obvious who steers the wagon - Jerry.

What the division rivals do may affect the decisions of the other owners, but you have to actually drink the Kool Aid so to speak. Jerry is responsible for all that he drinks that affects this team.

Its his burden to shoulder.

In his time the biggest is issue I have seen is that on a process level he is not aligned with his fan base. On a goal level he is. He wants to win Superbowls. He will spend money on that.

Fans love him for those two elements.

But it grates many fans to no end the process he uses to achieve the goals. Being the GM, speaking about coaching matters, and buddying up to the players to the pt of being rumoured to allowing players to come to him over the coach's head.

There are numerous good and bad things about Jerry as there will be of any owner who is heavily involved with their franchises. If you are not being successful in the w column then you maybe need to think about stepping back as a change.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Yep!

We've changed everything else apart from the GM and the one time he stepped back from being his usual self (with Parcells) things started to get better.
Not really. The offense is almost exactly the same as it was in 07.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
44445204.jpg

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
The Cowboys are Jerry's toy. He's the one who is to blame.

And after every season he stands around and winks and hems & haws and makes idiotic statements like they are "training" their head coach & it'll all pan out. You just wait. We have championships in our future.

He's an absolute joke.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
It goes down like this, we are to blame, Jerry has figured out he doesnt need Cowboy fans, he needs football fans. We are to blame because we fuel this fool show.