Who Did You See At Your First Concert?

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Alabama when they were just starting out in the early 80's. It was at a rodeo grounds in either Fallon or Fernley Nevada, I can't remember which. A friend and I were coming home from Reno and she said hey, my Aunt says there's a really good band playing, let's go. It was a really small crowd of just a couple hundred people, and no problem getting tickets.
Saw Alabama at a place called the Barn in Dallas in the early 80's Barn is no longer there It was right across the street from the Sportatorium where Rasslin was that place is also gone

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Rush. Moving Pictures Tour.
I'd like to add.... apologies in advance.......this was the album where they all agreed it came together as musicians.

I wonder what that means......? La Villa Strangiato, Spirit of Radio, Xanadu, The Trees. Really? Wow.

Any who. The drum kit used for Moving Pictures..... incredible, IMO. Fantastic blend.

I believe it was a Tama.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I'd like to add.... apologies in advance.......this was the album where they all agreed it came together as musicians.

I wonder what that means......? La Villa Strangiato, Spirit of Radio, Xanadu, The Trees. Really? Wow.

Any who. The drum kit used for Moving Pictures..... incredible, IMO. Fantastic blend.

I believe it was a Tama.

I can certainly understand what they mean and Moving Pictures is a great album, although i prefer Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, 2112 and A Farewell to Kings. First time i saw Rush was the Permanent Waves tour, talk about an amazing setlist.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I can certainly understand what they mean and Moving Pictures is a great album, although i prefer Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, 2112 and A Farewell to Kings. Firs time i saw Rush was the Permanent Waves tour, talk about an amazing setlist.

I like them all excluding the first album......Annnnndd.....I have to hate you for at least a week for seeing them live before me. ;)

catiii

Reaction score
I also saw Bread at Memorial Auditorium circa 1980 because I was playing in a jazz band for a convention in the ballroom attached. I walked down the hall on a break to the DPD guys watching the door by the stage in my tux and explained and they said "sure have a listen!" I stood right in front of the stageside speakers by the stage door and they sounded totally like pure rubbish. Nothing but noise. Not at all what you remember from their studio hits. I could've been listening to an amatuer head banger screamo band in deep ellum LOL.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I like them all excluding the first album......Annnnndd.....I have to hate you for at least a week for seeing them live before me. ;)

And i hate all the people that got to see them on previous tours. :laugh:The Hemispheres tours by all accounts was amazing. When you get some time listen to this, totally mind blowing.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Johnny, that was my first ever Rock concert. Their performance was over the top. In all of the concerts that I ever saw in the 70's, and there were many by many of the top bands, that Led Zeppelin performance is still one of the verybest concerts I have ever attended.

Jealous I am, never got to see Zeppelin proper as i wasn't allowed to go to concerts in 77 which was the last time they came here. Have seen Plant solo, Page/the Firm and Page/Plant in 98 which was pretty awesome.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Jealous I am, never got to see Zeppelin proper as i wasn't allowed to go to concerts in 77 which was the last time they came here. Have seen Plant solo, Page/the Firm and Page/Plant in 98 which was pretty awesome.
IMHO, none of the concerts post Zeppelin in 1980 have ever approached the greatness of Led Zeppelin, except for the 2007 O2 Concert.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I haven't been to many concerts. Kinda sucks, but growing up I was not really a fan of shoulder-to-shoulder gatherings. Now, all the artists I would want to see are retired so that kind of sucks, too.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
IMHO, none of the concerts post Zeppelin in 1980 have ever approached the greatness of Led Zeppelin, except for the 2007 O2 Concert.

Maybe since 1977 yes, however the 80 European tour at least the bootlegs i have heard were as far as Zeppelin's standards go pretty below average. Would love to have seen the 77 tour just for the inclusion of Ten Years Gone and Achilles Last Stand.