Who do the Cowboys like thread...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
I do this every year, this time around I'm getting a little earlier start on it... I plan on listing all the players that the Cowboys have shown some interest in during the scouting process... this year, I also intend to mention where I heard about this interest...

Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU... 6-4, 295 pounds... 4.85 second 40... NFL Draft Scout lists him as their 26th best player overall, so he might be an unrealistic target for the Boys, but of course he's got the raw computer numbers that just scream 3-4 DE... I learned about their interest in a post by Matt Mosley to the ESPN website on Feb. 18th... NFLDS compares him to Shaun Ellis...

Sean Smith, CB/S, Utah... 6-3, 210 pounds... 4.45 second 40... NFLDS has him as their 37th rated overall player, which means he'd have to fall for the Boys to have a shot at him, or they'd have to trade up... to be honest, I don't see either happening... that's too bad, he's a favorite of a lot of folks in here, including your friendly local Bear... if he was to fall to 51, and I was picking for the Boys, he'd certainly be on my radar... KFFL reported the Boys met with Sean on Saturday... NFLDS compares him to Julian Battle...

Derrick Williams, WR/KR, Penn State... 5-11, 195 pounds... 4.4 second 40... NFLDS rates him their 46th best player overall, which means he might not even fall to the Boys' first pick, at 51... but he might slip to them, if things broke right... KFFL reported the Boys met with Williams on Saturday... NFLDS compares him to Devery Henderson... he's a nice receiver, and a nice kick returner, but somehow I don't see the Boys going WR at pick 51...

Ron Brace, DT, Boston College... 6-3, 325 pounds... 5.25 second 40... NFLDS has him as their 53 best player overall, and the Boys pick 51st... I learned about their interest in an interview he conducted with a Chargers website name of Bolts Hype... he said the Boys had talked with him, apparently at the Senior Bowl... NFLDS compares Brace to Domata Peko... I'd really like to see him in a Cowboys uniform...

Jarron Gilbert, DE, San Jose State... 6-5, 286 pounds... 4.95 second 40... NFLDS rates him as their 59th best player, and given the relative scarcity of 3-4 DEs in this draft, the Boys would probably have to use pick 51 to draft him... KFFL reported the Boys met with him on Saturday... NFLDS compares him to Jason Hatcher, though he's slightly smaller... I could live with this pick, especially after hearing the comparison to Hatcher... if the Boys really, really want a DE out of this draft, he's a more realistic option than Tyson Jackson, IMO...

Juaquin Iglesias, WR, Oklahoma... 6-1, 205 pounds... 4.45 second 40... NFLDS lists him as their 60th rated player, meaning he'd be a target for their 2nd round pick... I learned about their interest in him just today on Rafael Vela's Blogging The Boys website... NFLDS compares him to Keary Colbert... again, I wonder if the Boys look at a WR this early, but that doesn't mean he hasn't got game...

Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma... 6-8, 340 pounds... 5.3 second 40... NFLDS lists him as their 62nd ranked player, so like Iglesias he'd be a 2nd round target (unless he slides a few slots, the Boys draft at pick 69 in the 3rd round)... I learned about the Boys interest in Phil on the KFFL website... NFLDS compares him to Max Starks, a comparison that really piqued my interest... what doesn't is my good buddy Zaxor telling me he looked kinda stiff at his combine workout...

Derry Beckwith, ILB/OLB, LSU... 6-1, 245 pounds... 4.55 second 40... NFLDS rates him their 85th best player overall, so if the Boys want him, they'd have to grab him with their 3rd round; it's highly unlikely that he'd fall to pick 97 (rating him 85 is probably underrating him in the first place)... KFFL reported the Boys met with him on Saturday... NFLDS compares him to Kirk Morrison, other websites have mentioned that he's probably the best cover linebacker in this draft... this suggests to me that he might be a fine replacement for the oft-injured Kevin Burnett...

Cody Brown, OLB/DE, Connecticut... 6-2, 245 pounds... 4.65 second 40... NFLDS has him as their 87th ranked player, or a likely 3rd round pick if the Boys want to add him... I learned about their interest in Cody in an interview he gave to a Hartford newspaper, again right after the Senior Bowl... NFLDS compares him to Bruce Davis... I don't know that there's a need for another passrusher this early, but I like Cody's game...

Nate Davis, QB, Ball State... 6-2, 225 pounds... 4.75 second 40... NFLDS rates him 4 picks behind Brown, which again means a 3rd round pick for the Boys, unless he slips just a little (the Boys also have the first pick in the 4th round, 97 overall)... I just learned about their interest in Nate today, on Vela's Blogging The Boys website... NFLDS compares him to Quincy Carter (which should cause some in here to retch)... I think that the Boys might look to draft a QB in the middle rounds, so he's a serious prospect...

Rhett Bomar, QB, Sam Houston State... 6-2, 225 pounds... 4.7 second 40... NFLDS has him rated their 104th best player overall, so the Boys would have to grab him with their first 4th round pick... the Boys talked to him at the Senior Bowl... NFLDS compares him to JP Losman... again, this would be the range that the Boys might look for a QB...

Jarett Dillard, WR, Rice... 5-10, 186 pounds... 4.5 second 40... NFLDS lists him as their 114th best player overall, and the Boys pick at 97 and 113 in the 4th round... I like Dillard well enough that I'd reach for him at pick 97 ( the guy set an NCAA record with 60 TD receptions, 'nuff said)... KFFL reported the team met with Dillard on Saturday... NFLDS compares him to Bobby Wade...

Zack Follett, OLB, California... 6-2, 235 pounds... 4.65 second 40... NFLDS rates him their 128th best player overall, so the Boys would have to use their second 4th rounder to claim him... KFFL reported the Boy met with Zack on Saturday... NFLDS compares him to Jordan Beck... I'm kind of on the fence with Zack, he has skills the Boys could use, but I think I'd rather they look at other positions in the 4th round...

Jaimie Thomas, OG, Maryland... 6-4, 330 pounds... 5.25 second 40... NFLDS has him as their 143rd ranked player overall, which means the Boys would have to grab him with their second 4th round pick, or gamble that he falls a little, to their first 5th round pick, number 148 overall... he's definitely a Hudson Houck type blocker, but it bothers me that he can only play guard...

Cornelius Lewis, OT/OG, Tennessee State... 6-4, 325 pounds... 5.2 second 40... NFLDS rates him the 166th best player in the draft, which means the Boys would have to snag him with one of their two 5th round picks if they really want him... if their rankings are anywhere close to how the draft plays out (admittedly, a big "if"), then the second 5th rounder ought to get the job done... I learned about the Boys' interest in Lewis in an interview he gave to a Nashville area newspaper... NFLDS compares him to Frank Omiyale... if the Boys go OL in the middle rounds, this is a guy who makes sense (and they should certainly be thinking about adding one or two offensive linemen in this draft)...

Graham Harrell, QB, Texas Tech... 602, 216 pounds... 4.85 second 40... NFLDS rates him their 183rd best player overall, which makes him a 5th or 6th round target... I'd project him as the Boys' supplemental pick in the 5th, if they really like him (I don't care for his lack of arm strength)... the Boys talked to him at the Senior Bowl... NFLDS compares him to Jake Delhomme (I don't see it)...

John Phillips, TE, Virginia... 6-6, 250 pounds... 4.75 second 40... NFLDS rates him their 209th best player overall, so the Boys would probably have to grab him with their anticipated supplemental pick in the 6th round... I thank Bob Sacamano for letting me know about their interest in Phillips... NFLDS compares him to Ben Utecht... I don't see a glaring need for a TE at any point in this draft, but I'm a big fan of the University of Virginia and would enjoy having one of their players on the roster...

Demetrius Byrd, WR, LSU... 6-1, 200 pounds... 4.45 second 40... NFLDS rates him their 227th best player overall, meaning the Boys could probably snap him up in the 7th round... I learned about their interest in Byrd on Vela's Blogging The Boys website... NFLDS compares him to Courtney Taylor... I think that NFLDS severely underrates Byrd, I believe he'll go in the 3rd or 4th round range, based on other websites' projections...

Rudy Carpenter, QB, Arizona State... 6-2, 225 pounds... 4.85 second 40... NFLDS rates him the 312th player on their board, meaning a 7th rounder at best, more likely an undrafted rookie free agent... again, Vela's Blogging The Boys website is my source here... NFLDS does not compare him to any NFL player, I guess they stop such comparisons after the top 250-300 prospects on their board, LOL... I don't think that Carpenter has NFL ability, to be blunt...

Chase Holbrook, QB, New Mexico State... 6-5, 245 pounds... 5.05 second 40... NFLDS rates him their 522nd best player overall, meaning he's a good bet to go undrafted... the only source I have for the Boys' interest in Chase is Hostile, but I trust him without question (and I hope he's right, LOL)... NFLDS does not compare him to anybody... I'd certainly favor the Boys bringing him in after the draft, to compete for a job...

And now the list is up to 20 players long... working from that list, the Boys would have the following prospects to choose from at their assorted picks (with my preference in bold font):

Pick 51-- Tyson Jackson and Sean Smith, if they fall (they probably won't)... more realistic possibilities would be Derrick Williams, Ron Brace, Jarron Gilbert, Juaquin Iglesias and Phil Loadholt...

Pick 69-- if any of the above group fell to 69, they'd have to be considered (which will also be true for each succeeding pick)... other options would be Derry Beckwith, Cody Brown and Nate Davis...

Pick 97/Pick 113-- choose 2 from Rhett Bomar, Jarett Dillard, Zack Follett, and Jaimie Thomas...

Pick 148-- Thomas or Cornelius Lewis... if the Boys haven't grabbed an offensive lineman (or two) at this point, it's almost imperative that they start looking at adding some in the late rounds...

6th round on-- the info starts getting sketchier in the later rounds, the Boys have mostly talked to early and mid-round prospect at this point... but they seem to like John Phillips...

And now, the list is 20 players long, with more certainly to come... at this point, I'm surprised at how few offensive linemen they've shown an interest in, and how many WRs... I'm not surprised that they're looking at LBs and DLs, or QBs...

So, how would y'all feel about this draft??

2) Ron Brace, NT, Boston College... the run stuffer that a 3-4 defense needs...

3) Derry Beckwith, ILB, LSU... the cover ILB the Cowboys will need if Kevin Burnett leaves the team...

4a) Rhett Bomar, QB, Sam Houston State... a QB to groom for the future...

4b) Jarett Dillard, WR, Rice... a nice slot receiver, a proven playmaker...

5a) Cornelius Lewis, OT/OG, Tennessee State... quality depth for the OL...
[/B]

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
we talked to Virginia TE John Phillips at the Senior Bowl according to NFLDraftCountdown

and this thread needs to be stickied

silverbear

Reaction score
iRoot4Losers;2647266 said:
we talked to Virginia TE John Phillips at the Senior Bowl according to NFLDraftCountdown

and this thread needs to be stickied

I hadn't heard about that, thanks for the input... Phillips currently grades as a 6th or 7th rounder, I'd have no problems with the Boys claiming him in the late rounds, even if they don't really have much of a need at the position...

I've edited my list to include Phillips...

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Thanks Bear, I was going to suggest this. I remember you doing it every year. This does need stickied.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
These are few players I have noticed the Cowboys have been linked to recently in various articles.

Ramses Barden, WR Cal Poly
Rhett Bomar, QB Sam Houston State
Zach Follett, LB Cal
Keenan Lewis, CB Oregon State
Clint Sintim, LB Virginia
Max Unger, OL Oregon
Jason Watkins, OT Florida
Pat White, QB West Virginia

silverbear

Reaction score
Arch Stanton;2647330 said:
These are few players I have noticed the Cowboys have been linked to recently in various articles.

Ramses Barden, WR Cal Poly
Rhett Bomar, QB Sam Houston State
Zach Follett, LB Cal
Keenan Lewis, CB Oregon State
Clint Sintim, LB Virginia
Max Unger, OL Oregon
Jason Watkins, OT Florida
Pat White, QB West Virginia

Now that you mention it, I do recall reading that the Boys had shown an interest in Bomar, and in Graham Harrell, at the Senior Bowl... as for the others on your list, some of them ring a bell, but as is the case with Bomar and Harrell, I just can't remember where I read about their interest...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chase Holbrook of New Mexico State is also one that has been mentioned.

SDogo

Reaction score
NFL | Beckwith has talked to several teams
Sat, 21 Feb 2009 13:02:08 -0800

Louisiana State LB Darry Beckwith said during his NFL Scouting Combine interview that among the teams he has talked to are the San Diego Chargers, the Seattle Seahawks, the San Francisco 49ers, the New England Patriots and the Dallas Cowboys.

SDogo

Reaction score
NFL | D. Williams feels he can help a team in multiple ways
Sat, 21 Feb 2009 11:18:42 -0800

Penn State WR Derrick Williams said he has spoken with the Dallas Cowboys, Indianapolis Colts and "a lot of different ones in informal meetings" at the NFL Scouting Combine. Williams noted he played quarterback in high school and feels he can be a threat as a receiver, return man or in the backfield if needed.

SDogo

Reaction score
NFL | Follett has talked to several teams
Sat, 21 Feb 2009 14:15:07 -0800

University of California LB Zack Follett said during his NFL Scouting Combine interview that he has spoken with the Dallas Cowboys, the Cleveland Browns, the Cincinnati Bengals, the Oakland Raiders, the Baltimore Ravens, the Green Bay Packers and the San Diego Chargers. He is scheduled to talk with the Buffalo Bills.

SDogo

Reaction score
NFL | Thomas has talked to several teams
Sat, 21 Feb 2009 13:23:18 -0800

University of Maryland OG Jaimie Thomas said during his NFL Scouting Combine interview that among the teams he has talked to are the Houston Texans, the Kansas City Chiefs and the Dallas Cowboys. He also is scheduled to talk with the San Diego Chargers.

SDogo

Reaction score
NFL | Gilbert says he is healthy
Sat, 21 Feb 2009 15:05:56 -0800

San Jose State DE Jarron Gilbert (ankle) said during his NFL Scouting Combine interview that he injured his ankle during the Senior Bowl but feels he is healthy now. He said he has talked with the Washington Commanders and the Dallas Cowboys.

SDogo

Reaction score
For the heck of it, going off the list and the average projected round by several websites I'll list the players in this thread and what rounds they may be targeted in.

Again, these projected rounds are the average projections and value boards of several draft web sites. not mine, so don't shoot the messenger.:eek::

Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU (Late Rd 1 to Mid Rd 2)
Jarron Gilbert, DE/DT, San Jose St (Rd 3)

Ron Brace, NT, Boston College (Late Rd 2 to Mid Rd 3)

Darry Beckwith, ILB, LSU (Rd 3)

Cody Brown, OLB/DE, Connecticut (Rd 3)
Zack Follett, OLB, California (Mid Rd 4 to Early Rd 5)

Cornelius Lewis, OT/OG, Tennessee St (Mid Rd 6 to UDFA)
Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma (Rd 2)
Jaimie Thomas, OG, Maryland (Late Rd 6 to UDFA)

John Phillips, TE, Virginia (Mid Rd 5 to Mid Rd 6)

Demetrius Byrd, WR, LSU (Rd 3)
Juaquin Iglesia, WR, Oklahoma (Late Rd 1 to Early Rd 2)
Derrick Williams, WR, PSU (Rd 2)
Jarett Dillard, WR, Rice (Late Rd 3 to Early Rd 4)

Rudy Carpenter, QB, Arizona St (Rd 5)
Rhett Bomar, QB, Sam Houston St (Rd 2)
Graham Harrell, QB, Texas Tech (Rd 3)
Chase Holbrook, QB, New Mexico St (Rd 7 to UDFA)
Nate Davis, QB, Ball State (Rd 2)

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Holy cow, if we could get Byrd in the 7th round, I'd be ecstatic.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys visit with Rice receiver
By Tom Orsborn on Feb 21, 2009 6:08 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

Rice wide receiver Jarett Dillard is among the players who have been interviewed by the Cowboys at the NFL Scouting Combine.

I talked with Dillard's mother, Robin, on Friday night at the San Antonio Sports Hall of Fame induction ceremony. Jarett and his QB at Rice, Chase Clement, were co-winners of the Express-News' 2008 Sportsman of the Year Award.

Robin Dillard said her son called earlier in the day from Indianapolis to say the Cowboys had interviewed him.

Dillard, a Sam Houston High School alumnus, caught 87 passes last season for 1,310 yards and a nation-best 20 TD receptions, giving him an NCAA-record 60 scores for his career.

With Terrell Owens now 35, it wouldn't hurt the Cowboys to get younger at receiver. Dillard is a sharp, high-character guy who would be a good fit for a team in need of sharp, high-character guys.

SDogo

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2647843 said:
Ron Brace late 2nd/ early 3rd?? wow..let's hope it stays that way..

He is really all over the board.

NFL Draft Blitz-Rd 5
NFL Draft Countdown-Round 2 or 3
Sporting News-Round 3 or 4
Huddle Report-Round 2 or 3
NFL Draft Exchange-Round 2
PFW-Round 3 or 4

That's just some of them. Basically he has been projected every where from Round 2 to Round 6