Who do we keep, cut and sign

waldoputty

Reaction score
Garrett - cannot fire while in contention - get him help - just like playcalling was taken away from Garrett, we need to hire 1 (or more) coaches that will gameplan against the cowboys so we stop getting outsmarted. No more stupid Marinelli substitutions when the other QB takes advantage of that. Stop repeating formations that are too predictable (not enough options) that led to the INT.

McClay - raise his salary as much as you need to keep him

TCrawford - June 1 cut unless he cuts his salary a lot
Butler - bye - dumb player who is not focused on football
TWill - probably resign since much less dumb mistakes, though his body catching attempt did cost us.
WR2 - if we can sign a better one than TWill, then let TWill go.
Church - let him go unless real cheap
Wilcox - resign, starting to make plays and hits hard
RT - free must becomes a backup. green is useless as he cannot stay health.
Rico - consider Rico a RT unless he will clearly be star TE.
RDE - must sign a top FA RDE if available and draft at least 2-3 DEs
CB1 - if we can sign a top CB1, then let Clairborne go.
Carr - he is considering retiring- may be cheap 1 year deal?
Tsmith - situation needs watching as his injuries are concerning
Leary - consider resigning him as starter
Collins - consider moving him to RT
Cleary - is he an option at RT?
JCrawford - bye
Jaylon - please be healthy
Escobar - bye
Lawrence - bye
Romo - does he want to renegotiate as backup?
Sanchez - bye
Dunbar - bye
McFadden - consider resigning if he is reasonable for 2 years
Cooper - pending evaluations
Irving - cheap resign

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett - cannot fire while in contention - get him help - just like playcalling was taken away from Garrett, we need to hire 1 (or more) coaches that will gameplan against the cowboys so we stop getting outsmarted. No more stupid Marinelli substitutions when the other QB takes advantage of that. Stop repeating formations that are too predictable (not enough options) that led to the INT.

TWill - probably resign since much less dumb mistakes, though his body catching attempt did cost us.
JCrawford - bye
Escobar - bye
Lawrence - bye
Sanchez - bye
Dunbar - bye
Irving - cheap resign
Good thinking. Put in your application with Jerry.

beacamdim

Reaction score
Based upon various CAP sites Dallas will be challenged next year.

Overthecap.com has Dallas at (-$5,557,036) over the CAP.
Spotac.com has Dallas at (-$1,662,678) over the CAP.
The differential between the (2) sites is the roll over from 2016. Spotrac notes that Dallas has a $6,524,260 roll over from 2016, thereby increasing their 2017 CAP to $174,524,160.

The actual CAP number is likely somewhere between the (2) estimates.

Dallas has additional 2017 CAP liabilities for next year that include $5,500,000 for the draft and $2,500,000 for in-season transactions. Therefore, depending upon the actual CAP numbers Dallas must create anywhere from $9,662,678 - $13,557,036.

What compounds the Cowboys problems is that they have (23) free agents some of whom are key players. It is likely that Dallas will not be able to sign most of their free agents much less sign new players: Justin Durant, Brandon Carr, Darren McFadden, Mark Sanchez, Barry Church, Andrew Gachkar, Josh Thomas, Terrell McClain, Ronaldo McClain, Morris Claiborne, Lance Dunbar, Kellen Moore, Jack Crawford, Ron Leary, JJ Wilcox, Terrance Williams, Brice Butler, Jonathon Cooper, Ryan Davis, Gavin Escobar, James Morris, and David Irving.

The Cowboys can free up $5,100,000 CAP space by trading Tony Romo. However, if Dallas were to obtain draft picks their draft allocation will go up so the net savings would be (+/-) 4,000,000.

Another alternative that Dallas will likely consider is extending the contracts of certain players. 34-year-old Jason Witten is a likely candidate. Frederick is likely an even better option.
Dallas has already renegotiated some key player’s contracts and this policy is risky. It is like buying with a credit card. They are putting off paying the players until future years.

Dallas would have to free up +/- $15,000,000 to be able to sign their free agents and to have some money for other free agents. This will be difficult.

It should be noted that Dallas will be competing for free agents with the other NFL teams, and there are some like Cleveland that have up to $110,000,000 of CAP space. This will not be easy.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Based upon various CAP sites Dallas will be challenged next year.

Overthecap.com has Dallas at (-$5,557,036) over the CAP.
Spotac.com has Dallas at (-$1,662,678) over the CAP.
The differential between the (2) sites is the roll over from 2016. Spotrac notes that Dallas has a $6,524,260 roll over from 2016, thereby increasing their 2017 CAP to $174,524,160.

The actual CAP number is likely somewhere between the (2) estimates.

Dallas has additional 2017 CAP liabilities for next year that include $5,500,000 for the draft and $2,500,000 for in-season transactions. Therefore, depending upon the actual CAP numbers Dallas must create anywhere from $9,662,678 - $13,557,036.

What compounds the Cowboys problems is that they have (23) free agents some of whom are key players. It is likely that Dallas will not be able to sign most of their free agents much less sign new players: Justin Durant, Brandon Carr, Darren McFadden, Mark Sanchez, Barry Church, Andrew Gachkar, Josh Thomas, Terrell McClain, Ronaldo McClain, Morris Claiborne, Lance Dunbar, Kellen Moore, Jack Crawford, Ron Leary, JJ Wilcox, Terrance Williams, Brice Butler, Jonathon Cooper, Ryan Davis, Gavin Escobar, James Morris, and David Irving.

The Cowboys can free up $5,100,000 CAP space by trading Tony Romo. However, if Dallas were to obtain draft picks their draft allocation will go up so the net savings would be (+/-) 4,000,000.

Another alternative that Dallas will likely consider is extending the contracts of certain players. 34-year-old Jason Witten is a likely candidate. Frederick is likely an even better option.
Dallas has already renegotiated some key player’s contracts and this policy is risky. It is like buying with a credit card. They are putting off paying the players until future years.

Dallas would have to free up +/- $15,000,000 to be able to sign their free agents and to have some money for other free agents. This will be difficult.

It should be noted that Dallas will be competing for free agents with the other NFL teams, and there are some like Cleveland that have up to $110,000,000 of CAP space. This will not be easy.

We had a thread on this before. We can easily open up $30M of space by restructuring the top 5 contracts.
TCrawford frankly needs to be June 1st release.

In fact, we could open up around $50M if we wanted.

If a FA would sign with Cleveland, we dont want him - because he is a loser and does not want to win enough.

Proximo

Reaction score
As far as starting positions are concerned, our offense needs very little change. Upgrade RT, look at backup O lineman, figure out the Ronald Leary situation. Upgrade receiver position if possible, but I like where we are to be honest. Probably need to get a pulse on how much longer Witten plans on playing.

Defense- obviously a top tier edge rusher would do wonders. LB is already going to get a boost with Jaylon playing next year, and Lee is still balling out. Secondary played well this season and will play better if we get that edge rusher on the field. I'm guessing they let Mo walk, unless he stays for cheap, and as is always the case we'll probably see a surprise player or two come into the lineup as a starter or regular contributor.

Oh, and just to be clear I'm not suggesting we pencil a bunch of guys in as starters right now. As always, guys will need to battle it out during camp, etc. Just saying that I do like our roster overall.

I know everyone is pissy today but the organization deserves credit for fielding a contender this year. And they established a foundation for the future during the process.

waldoputty

Reaction score
As far as starting positions are concerned, our offense needs very little change. Upgrade RT, look at backup O lineman, figure out the Ronald Leary situation. Upgrade receiver position if possible, but I like where we are to be honest. Probably need to get a pulse on how much longer Witten plans on playing.

Defense- obviously a top tier edge rusher would do wonders. LB is already going to get a boost with Jaylon playing next year, and Lee is still balling out. Secondary played well this season and will play better if we get that edge rusher on the field. I'm guessing they let Mo walk, unless he stays for cheap, and as is always the case we'll probably see a surprise player or two come into the lineup as a starter or regular contributor.

Oh, and just to be clear I'm not suggesting we pencil a bunch of guys in as starters right now. As always, guys will need to battle it out during camp, etc. Just saying that I do like our roster overall.

I know everyone is pissy today but the organization deserves credit for fielding a contender this year. And they established a foundation for the future during the process.

We need to throw out half the DL - TCrawford is a major waste of $, good bye to JCrawford. Lawrence is done with his back. DE depth chart is almost a restart.

beacamdim

Reaction score
We had a thread on this before. We can easily open up $30M of space by restructuring the top 5 contracts.
TCrawford frankly needs to be June 1st release.

In fact, we could open up around $50M if we wanted.

If a FA would sign with Cleveland, we dont want him - because he is a loser and does not want to win enough.

Ok. Go on overthecap.com and have at it. While technically possible, you would unwittingly slam the Dak/Zeke "window" shut years early, since when they came up for vet contracts you take care of them and then could not even pay the water boy. It would waste the prime of their careers.

There's a reason why I believe Stephen Jones when he says not to expect any big FA splash this spring.

And as for Cleveland, while you might not want the player who actually signs there, the one you do want is going to use the Browns as negotiating leverage to raise the cost of signing him. Why did Vernon get the huge contract he got with NY last year? Because the Jags -- who had tons of space -- drove the bidding well beyond where it otherwise would have been.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
The Dline sucked so bad in last nights loss. Scandrick is JAG nowadays. Mo is grabbing and Boldin on every play. Carr is avg but is always healthy. Byron jones isn't playing like a first rd pick. Jeff Heath makes the most impact and he's like a third string special teams player.

Hitchens in meh. I don't see him as a difference maker. I haven seen Jaylon play in the NFL, so until I do can't forecast what type of player he will be.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Ok. Go on overthgcap.com and have at it. While technically possible, you would unwittingly slam the Dak/Zeke "window" shut years early, since when they came up for vet contracts you could not even pay the water boy. It would waste the prime of their careers.

No need. We did this exercise already. We can keep this going due to the dramatic unprecedent rise in salary cap in the few years as well as large contracts coming off. I am sure the cap gurus will come in some time today and chime in.

We can keep this going for a few years, at which point it will blow up. Nothing wrong with having a down year or 2 every 5-6 years. Gets us the draft picks to reload.

It should be superbowl or bust.

waldoputty

Reaction score
The Dline sucked so bad in last nights loss. Scandrick is JAG nowadays. Mo is grabbing and Boldin on every play. Carr is avg but is always healthy. Byron jones isn't playing like a first rd pick. Jeff Heath makes the most impact and he's like a third string special teams player.

Hitchens in meh. I don't see him as a difference maker. I haven seen Jaylon play in the NFL, so until I do can't forecast what type of player he will be.

I am less harsh on the DBs because the QB got 5 secs or more to pass.
The problem is the pass rush.
Lets give OScan another year to fully recover - he can be cut after June if needed though we need CB depth right now.

beacamdim

Reaction score
Ok. Go on overthgcap.com and have at it. While technically possible, you would unwittingly slam the Dak/Zeke "window" shut years early, since when they came up for vet contracts you take care of them and then could not even pay the water boy. It would waste the prime of their careers.
No need. We did this exercise already. We can keep this going due to the dramatic unprecedent rise in salary cap in the few years as well as large contracts coming off. I am sure the cap gurus will come in some time today and chime in.

We can keep this going for a few years, at which point it will blow up. Nothing wrong with having a down year or 2 every 5-6 years. Gets us the draft picks to reload.

It should be superbowl or bust.

Kicking $50MM down the road is going to cost you more than two seasons. Just ask Oakland -- just out of years of cap hell -- or NO -- just on the edge. Makes no sense to do that when it would all come home to roost JUST as Zeke and Dak would be in the statistical primes of their careers, and leave them AT BEST with the defense-less, championship-less, career-wasting teams of Romo's last decade.

If you play "SB or bust, to hell with the cap" while Dake/Zeke are on their rookie deals, you'd better win at least a couple of the next four championships, because you aren't going to get close again after the two rooks must be paid.

Look at Seattle -- the best recent model. Dominant while Wilson was on a cheap rookie deal, but now they have no O-line, no real offensive threats other than (maybe) Jimmy Graham (who cost them their best OL in trade), and they haven't even played any of the salary cap games you are suggesting as viable options for the Cowboys.

Let's not be stupid here.

Last edited:

Proximo

Reaction score
We need to throw out half the DL - TCrawford is a major waste of $, good bye to JCrawford. Lawrence is done with his back. DE depth chart is almost a restart.

Yea DL, specifically DE, certainly needs the most work.

I don't think anyone would argue with that. Most people thought it would ultimately be our undoing, and it was certainly a big part of last night's loss. Although the refs' decision to allow GB's O line to hold all afternoon made our guys look even worse than they are.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
The packs Dline : Balchtiari ( 4th rd pick), Lane Taylor ( undrafted free agent), Lindsley ( 5th rd), Lang ( 4th rd), and Bulaga (1st rd).

Is that line better than our first rd infested o line? They made magic happen protecting Rogers and running the ball with a wide receiver.

Our Dlinemen couldn't beat that group of low level draft picks and undrafted free agents?

Hmmmmm I need help making sense of this. My inclination is to say that veteran qbs like Brady and Rodgers make magic happen regardless of who is blocking

egn22

Reaction score

JCrawford - bye
Escobar - bye
Lawrence - bye
Sanchez - bye
Dunbar - bye
Irving - cheap resign

Who is Cleary? And when did he get in the mix for the starting RT role???

beacamdim

Reaction score
The packs Dline : Balchtiari ( 4th rd pick), Lane Taylor ( undrafted free agent), Lindsley ( 5th rd), Lang ( 4th rd), and Bulaga (1st rd).

Is that line better than our first rd infested o line? They made magic happen protecting Rogers and running the ball with a wide receiver.

Our Dlinemen couldn't beat that group of low level draft picks and undrafted free agents?

Hmmmmm I need help making sense of this. My inclination is to say that veteran qbs like Brady and Rodgers make magic happen regardless of who is blocking

GB's line is by far the best pass-blocking line in the NFL. Don't let their draft status fool you. What round was Dak drafted in again?

The dirty secret about the Dallas line is that they are pretty average at pass blocking. That gets overlooked because they are also without a doubt one of the best run blocking units in NFL history.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
GB's line is by far the best pass-blocking line in the NFL. Don't let their draft status fool you. What round was Dak drafted in again?

The dirty secret about the Dallas line is that they are pretty average at pass blocking. That gets overlooked because they are also without a doubt one of the best run blocking units in NFL history.
It doesn't fool me...the truth is they drafted wisely and got good value on the Oline picks. They built a line predominantly filled with lower rd picks and made it work successfully.