Who do we keep, cut and sign

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Wrongo

Your idea of a credit card is not applicable....unless you admit it is a Zero interest, 3% Cash back card with No annual fee and no overage charge....if you don't take advantage of those incentives then you are the fool........ it is not only free money.....they are paying you to take it

DAL will be 50m+ under with 37 contracts........add in 5-7 of our own FAs......6-10 draft picks and UDFAs.......that leaves 2-4 UFAs or trades, not exactly a Commander type spending spree but not a GB or PITT offseason

beacamdim

Reaction score
Wrongo

Your idea of a credit card is not applicable....unless you admit it is a Zero interest, 3% Cash back card with No annual fee and no overage charge....if you don't take advantage of those incentives then you are the fool........ it is not only free money.....they are paying you to take it

DAL will be 50m+ under with 37 contracts........add in 5-7 of our own FAs......6-10 draft picks and UDFAs.......that leaves 2-4 UFAs or trades, not exactly a Commander type spending spree but not a GB or PITT offseason

How about a friendly wager on that? $10 donation to the charity of the other's choice?

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Wrongo

:hammer:

beacamdim

Reaction score
Hope we spend money like a trophy wife!

:dance::dance::dance:

:dance::dance::dance:

As a Giants fan I couldn't agree more. But as a matter of sound management and principle (not to mention my own domestic tranquility), that would not be wise for Dallas IMO.

haleyrules

Reaction score
The Cowboys must stay the course. Draft..draft and draft some more. Sign a strategic FA where needed and where possible..but the draft is the true and only road to the SB !!

waldoputty

Reaction score
Just looking at the D-line:

DT:

What I'd like for us to do:
Get another big DT, preferably in free agency, who is big enough to stuff the run but quick and athletic enough to rush the passer. Pair him with Maliek Collins and you have a nasty starting DT duo that can open up opportunities for the DEs. Guys in mind that will be available are Sheldon Richardson and Dontari Poe.

What I could see us doing:
We could stick with what we had this year and hope Collins naturally improves in his second year. That means keeping Collins at 3DT and either resigning McClain for 1DT or going with our biggest free agency acquisition from last year in Thornton. We could also slide Tyrone Crawford back into his 3DT position and slide Collins over to 1DT. In this case, we'd probably let McClain go and use Thornton in obvious run plays.

DE:

What I'd like for us to do and what I could see us doing:
Get the best available RDE in the draft that we can without mortgaging too many, or any, extra picks. Preferably we'd package Romo in some way if we needed to move up. A rookie probably won't be our starting RDE, but he could at least be used in a rotation until he takes over the starting role his sophomore year. The key is that Benson Mayowa is not the starter for money coveted defensive position on our team. It would be nice if we could get something out of Tapper. Likeliest scenario Lawrence slides over to starting RDE. He's in a contract year so maybe he'll have a career year.

Hopefully we can trust David Irving to take over the starting LDE position. He's also a guy you can move around and play inside on Nickel downs. I just hope he can start to consistently produce and not just show up 2-3 times a year. They key is getting Jack Crawford off this team. He plays hard but you're in trouble if he's one of your top DLmen. I'd also look for a mid-priced free agent who can rotate with Irving. I want Tyrone Crawford splitting snaps at his natural positions, 3DT, not LDE.

In summary:

What I'd like to see:

RDE - Lawrence, 1st round rookie, Mayowa
3DT - Collins, T. Crawford
1DT - high-priced FA, Thornton
LDE - Irving, mid-priced FA, Tapper

What I could see us doing:

RDE - Lawrence, 1st round rookie, Mayowa
3DT - T. Crawford, cheap FA/rookie
1DT - Collins, Thornton
LDE - Irving, Tapper

If possible, the $ needs to be spent in DE if a good one can be had.
The 2nd expensive FA would be CB.
The reason is that our DTs are not as bad - so the marginal improvement is much larger at DE than DT
Having said that, if a scary pass rushing DT is available instead of CB, then grab the DT instead.
Pass rush is # 1 priority.

This plan is actually cheap than what the Giants just did last year that took than defense to top 5.
Expensive FA means $15M/year RDE or CB. First year cap in 5 year contract with signing bonus of $25M would be ~$6M. Assume restructuring every year afterwards.
Salary cap in 2021 - who cares, blow it up if needed to get 2-4 premium draft choices while keeping Zeke and OL - hopefully Zeke is still good but cannot count on it. Draft picks used for WR1, RB and BPA

Scenario 1
RDE - Expensive FA/1st round/Mayowa
3DT - Collins/Irving
1DT - Thornton/TBD
LDE - Irving/Lawrence/2nd round
CB - expensive CB #1/Brown/Oscan/resign Carr if cheap
SS - Wilcox if not too expensive
WR2 - resign TWill
Gone: TCrawford, JCrawford, Mcclain unless cheap, Butler
Unreliable: Tapper, Gregory

Scenario 2
RDE - Expensive FA/Mayowa/2nd round
3DT - Expensive FA/ Collins
1DT - Thornton/Collins
CB - 1st round/Brown/Oscan/resign one of Clairborne/Carr
SS - resign Wilcox if not too expensive
WR2 - resign TWill

Scenario 3
RDE - Expensive FA/Mayowa
3DT - Collins/Irving/TBD
1DT - Thornton/TBD
CB - 1st round/Brown/Oscan/resign one of Clairborne/Carr
SS - resign Wilcox if not too expensive
WR2 - WR #1 like the guy from the Skins

waldoputty

Reaction score
I'm glad for the sake of your Cowboys brethren that Stephen and Jerry will prove to disagree with you entirely. Check back in with me after FA -- you will see.

And as for your unprovoked and unnecessary smack-talking, get back to me when Dak has two rings, too.

Sure, look forward to Eli going out in a stretcher : )

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Here's my dream scenario

RDE- baddest FA or via trade as possible / 1st rounder/ JAG
3T- baddest FA possible/Thorton
1T- Collins /highest draft pick after we get a DE
LDE - the baddest FA or via trade as possible /Irving/ tank

waldoputty

Reaction score
Here's my dream scenario

RDE- baddest FA or via trade as possible / 1st rounder/ JAG
3T- baddest FA possible/Thorton
1T- Collins /highest draft pick after we get a DE
LDE - the baddest FA or via trade as possible /Irving/ tank

Sounds good to me.
Screw the 2021 cap.

Doomsay

Reaction score
I'm glad for the sake of your Cowboys brethren that Stephen and Jerry will prove to disagree with you entirely. Check back in with me after FA -- you will see.

And as for your unprovoked and unnecessary smack-talking, get back to me when Dak has two rings, too.
Why not play with your Giants buddies? Is the future of a team with an aging and declining quarterback too awful to contemplate?

waldoputty

Reaction score
Seeing as he's never missed a start, THAT would be newsworthy.

Enjoy your years of mediocrity with your aging QB as he is signed until 2020.
Stepping on the Giants is like stepping on some insect.
You will soon wish he goes the way of Theisman

waldoputty

Reaction score
Why not play with your Giants buddies? Is the future of a team with an aging and declining quarterback too awful to contemplate?

hey i forgot about the ignore function.
lets just use it on the cockroach.

done... flushed

waldoputty

Reaction score
DLawrence was injured......TCrawford was misused(he is a 3T not a SDE).....Tapper will help

Thought he was getting beaten down as 3T and he himself said it is rough playing inside.
Does anyone recall this?

Tapper hopefully will help but I am not counting on it and did not even put him in the scenario.