Who do we re-sign?

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score

Hailmary

Reaction score
Morris is under contract next year? If so, I let both McFadden and Dunbar walk.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I think there should be one big fat thread for this.

Anyways.

It hurts to say it, but I ragged on McClain, but he deserves at least an offer. Reasonable, of course. Given his injury history.

Both WRs can go. Butler especially. Williams can go see what deal he gets and then come back to see if it works. If not, goodbye.

Dunbar? Get out. McFadden? Same thing.

The secondary is the hard part. I honestly think PFF and a lot of people overrated them. Pick your one cornerback and then decide about if you want to bother to reward Wilcox for a few hard hit tempo setters. I think Church is an automatic, not that I necessarily agree, but he is just like a lifer.

It looks like a long list, but it really only boils down to a couple of players. The rest can be told to go seek out deals and then see what happens.

We have to be very very careful not to overrate performance based on a 13-3 record.

If they play defense, go shopping, have fun, let us know.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Morris is under contract next year? If so, I let both McFadden and Dunbar walk.
If he is not on the list, yes.

I don't know where his head will be after being dumped after the first few games for all practical purposes, but he will be under contract.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
QB:
I say re-sign Moore. He's the only QB who actually won us a game last year. I don't want to spend the entire money saved cutting/trading Romo on a backup QB. Rather stay with what we have. I did hear Dak has a great relationship with Sanchez, which is great for Dak's sake, but I never want to see the ball in Sanchez's hands... Who knows. Maybe re-sign both Moore (to backup Dak) and Sanchez (to mentor Dak).

RB:
No one. I'd rather getting a RB in the late rounds of the draft. There are always guys sitting around late in the draft. Seahawks' Alex Collins and Thomas Rawls went in the 5th and undrafted, Dolphins' Ajayi went in the 6th, and the list goes on.

WR:
No one. I want nothing to do with Butler. He's not a winner. Only thing he has going for him is speed. No talent. You can find better guys at the end of the draft. Williams, on the other hand, is frustrating. He disappears for entire games and makes key drops. He'll also probably want more money than he's worth.

TE:
No one. Unless we're expecting Escobar to take a drastic change in the right direction now that Witten is almost done (maybe), we need to move on and try to find our heir to Witten. Maybe the Rico experiment will pan out. Escobar can't even beat out JAGs like Swaim and Hanna.

OL:
Definitely re-sign Cooper if we can get him on the cheap. He'd be excellent depth and could be plugged in as starting LG if we decide to try Collins at RT. I'd love to keep Leary but I could see us moving on to the healthier, younger, cheaper option in Collins. It all depends on if we think Collins an play RT. If he can, then try to re-sign Leary and fallback on Cooper if he's too expensive. If he can't, then move on from Leary and make Collins the future LG.

DT:
No one. We need to improve as a D-line. Jack Crawford seems like a good guy but he shouldn't be one of our top 8 D-linemen. As far as T. McClain goes, he played well next year but I think we need to do something big at DT. We need to either get a stud free agent DT like Sheldon Richardson or Dontari Poe to pair up with Maliek Collins and wreak havoc on the inside, or we need to see if Tyrone Crawford and Collins can make an interior duo. I'd prefer McClain over Thornton but we invested too much money into Thornton to keep both.

DE:
Definitely keep Irving. That doesn't even require an explanation. And who the heck is Ryan Davis? Get rid of him. We also need to improve DE significantly via early and often in the draft, and possibly with a free agent or two. But free agent DEs usually aren't worth the money. The truly great ones don't hit the market until they're used up. Draft DE and sign DT.

LB:
Maybe Gachkar. He seems to be a decent special teams player. He's definitely replaceable if we find someone better or cheaper. Move on from Durant. He's a decent player but he's getting up there in age and we should start seeing what we have in our younger guys J. Smith, D. Wilson and Hitchens. And definitely cut ties with R. McClain. He's less reliable than Gregory.

CB:
I'd re-sign them both. I wouldn't break the bank on either one though. Carr will probably come cheap and he never gets hurt, so I think he's good to have on the roster just in case you're short on CBs. But Carr should definitely lose snaps for the younger guys. We know longer need to make him the starter to justify his contract. He should be our 4th CB. And Claiborne is still young and a beast when healthy. I'm confident we can bring him back for cheap considering his injury issues. If we get rid of Claiborne we'll need to replace him with a pricey free agent or an early draft pick, and I definitely don't want to see us waste early picks and big money on CBs.

S:
Bring them both back if they come cheap. I know the team seems to love Church. I'd rather we didn't get so emotionally attached to players because then we guarantee guys like Church and Free starting jobs for years despite how unexceptional they are. I'd like to see if Wilcox has gotten good enough to be a starting SS. He has way more upside than Church. I'd also like to see what Heath can bring us. He's young, freakishly athletic, and makes plays in his limited chances. If we had to choose between Wilcox and Church, I'd definitely go Wilcox.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
QB-I think Moore as our primary back up works nicely. He's like a coach in the QB room and works nicely in Linehan's system.

RB- Neither. Would have been nice to have Darius on the depth chart, but we can find someone at some point in the draft or UFA.

WR- I think TWill is really underrated. He is NOT a #1 WR, so we shouldn't pay him anything close to that, but he is a good #2. Generally reliable, is an underrated blocker, and very good route runner.

TE- Nothing to see here

OL- Leary will get paid, just not by us. Cooper would be someone I'd like to keep around to see what he's got. Too good an athlete to just let go.

DL- I keep Jack as a rotational player. High motor/effort guy. McClain had his first really productive year. If he's not asking to break the bank, we keep him.

LB- Gachkar is a core special teams player, but Wilson took all snaps from mid season. Probably can find a nice replacement.

CB- Carr or Claiborne? Or both? Carr probably had his best year with the team, as did Mo. I think there is something to be said about being available. Carr is and Mo isn't. However, since Mo continued his injury streak, maybe he comes cheap again. If we can get both CB's for $10 mill combined, I go for it.

S- Church is our leader in the secondary, Wilcox finally had a good season and has higher upside. I worry about counting on JJ for 16 games, only because we seen that show before. I lean towards Church, but am torn on Wilcox.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Resign Carr won't find a better cb for 5 mil
Resign MO as a backup for 2 maybe mil a year or let him walk
Resign Durant for depth
Resign twill based on price

dallasdave

Reaction score

gmoney112

Reaction score
Here is the list:

QB Kellen Moore
QB Mark Sanchez
RB Lance Dunbar
RB Darren McFadden
WR Brice Butler
WR Terrance Williams
TE Gavin Escobar
G Jonathan Cooper
G Ronald Leary
DT Richard Ash
DT Jack Crawford
DE Ryan Davis
DT Terrell McClain
LB Andrew Gachkar
LB Justin Durant
LB Rolando McClain
CB Brandon Carr
S Barry Church
CB Morris Claiborne
S J.J. Wilcox

Exclusive Rights:

DE David Irving

I say Moore, TWill, Cooper, Crawford, T McClain, Carr, and Church. Maybe Wilcox

I think Carr and Church are about as likely as you can get.

I'm sure McClain and Crawford get offers. Probably McFadden.

Wouldn't mind Durant.

I'd look to FA for WR, personally, before I spent any $$ on Williams/Butler. Role players and seems to play hot potato a bit, just a reliable #2 would be great. I wouldn't be surprised to see either of them back though.

Will depend on how much Claiborne/Wilcox want. If I'm Dallas, all i'm offering Claiborne at this point is 1 year/1 mill.

TheHerd

Reaction score
QB Kellen Moore
QB Mark Sanchez
RB Lance Dunbar
RB Darren McFadden
WR Brice Butler
WR Terrance Williams
TE Gavin Escobar
G Jonathan Cooper

G Ronald Leary
DT Richard Ash
DT Jack Crawford
DE Ryan Davis

DT Terrell McClain
LB Andrew Gachkar
LB Justin Durant
LB Rolando McClain

CB Brandon Carr
S Barry Church
CB Morris Claiborne

S J.J. Wilcox

Exclusive Rights:

DE David Irving

My assumptions are that Twill and Mo will get way overpaid. I see guys on here saying sign Mo for 1 yr 1M, no chance. He's gonna get 6M offers, TWill will get 8. No way.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
RB:
No one. I'd rather getting a RB in the late rounds of the draft. There are always guys sitting around late in the draft. Seahawks' Alex Collins and Thomas Rawls went in the 5th and undrafted, Dolphins' Ajayi went in the 6th, and the list goes on.

Sigh.

BoysWin

Reaction score
Here is the list:

QB Kellen Moore --------- as a Assistant QB coach/not a player
QB Mark Sanchez ------- NEVER
RB Lance Dunbar ------ time is up in DAL
RB Darren McFadden ----- 1 year deal and draft RB from PITT
WR Brice Butler -------- gotta be better
WR Terrance Williams ----- ST deal? 1-3 years
TE Gavin Escobar ----- NEVER
G Jonathan Cooper ----- yes, I like this experiment
G Ronald Leary ---------- love to keep Leary at $2.5MM/year. Very doubtful at $6+/year
DT Richard Ash ------ who?
DT Jack Crawford ----- JAG
DE Ryan Davis -------- churn
DT Terrell McClain ------- injury prone but productive. Needs to be the right contract
LB Andrew Gachkar ------ ST's?
LB Justin Durant ----------- churn and retire
LB Rolando McClain ----- NOT
CB Brandon Carr ----- 1 year deal
S Barry Church -------- 2 yr deal
CB Morris Claiborne ----- Sean Lee type contract. I like his play in 2016/just injured 80% of the time
S J.J. Wilcox ------ hated Wilcox. Now like his role. 1 yr deal

Exclusive Rights:

DE David Irving - ABSOLUTELY

Sydla

Reaction score
I think there should be one big fat thread for this.

Anyways.

It hurts to say it, but I ragged on McClain, but he deserves at least an offer. Reasonable, of course. Given his injury history.

Both WRs can go. Butler especially. Williams can go see what deal he gets and then come back to see if it works. If not, goodbye.

Dunbar? Get out. McFadden? Same thing.

The secondary is the hard part. I honestly think PFF and a lot of people overrated them. Pick your one cornerback and then decide about if you want to bother to reward Wilcox for a few hard hit tempo setters. I think Church is an automatic, not that I necessarily agree, but he is just like a lifer.

It looks like a long list, but it really only boils down to a couple of players. The rest can be told to go seek out deals and then see what happens.

We have to be very very careful not to overrate performance based on a 13-3 record.

If they play defense, go shopping, have fun, let us know.

I think I'd rather look to upgrade Church. Tony Jefferson is a better player and might not cost a ton more than Church.