Who gets moved in a draft day trade: Barber or Choice?

newlander

Reaction score
Look at the facts here guys: 3 quality RB's is too many. Yeah, if one or two gets hurt you want all three but it's a luxury that most teams can't get away with year after year. Not enough footballs to go around for sure. One or two will end up butt hurt and probably are already. Everyone talks about MB3 getting traded but I just don't see it happening. He has a huge contract and........he's been hurt as well. As much as it pains me to say it Choice is the guy I think they're considering moving IF the right price comes along. His contract is low, he's easy to trade and I think there are teams willing to give up a mid to low 2nd rounder for him, knowing they can plug him right into the starting lineup. This opens up all sorts of possibilities on the draft board. And don't tell me they aren't entertaining the idea because they're rumored to be looking at RB's including Tate out of Auburn. (San Franciso, KC and Houston pick 17-20 in the 2nd round and all need a RB of Choice's talent and character)

Gaede

Reaction score
Wouldn't be surprised if Choice was the one traded. I'd hate it, cause he is probably my favourite player on this team...but for some reason, I don't think the coaching staff really likes him....They played him, only reluctantly, in his first year and barely gave him any carries this year.

If they truly liked the guy, they would've found a way to put him on the field.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Gaede;3259941 said:
Wouldn't be surprised if Choice was the one traded. I'd hate it, cause he is probably my favourite player on this team...but for some reason, I don't think the coaching staff really likes him....They played him, only reluctantly, in his first year and barely gave him any carries this year.

I dont agree with this at all. Barber is the guy making all the money. They want him on the field. Felix is the homerun hitter. They want him on the field. There's only so many snaps on offense. Plus Choice was in alot in passing situations.

Get rid of Barber please.

newlander

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree Gaede. He's well respected and liked, but it's a business and when you have as much invested in MB3 and then Felix is a #1 pick: it's a numbers game IMO. Personality has nothing to do with it. I'm not saying he'd be a #1, 30 carry per game back. But his talent, elusivity, vision and leadership would be valued by someone picking 17-26 in the second round IMO.

****We all WANT to ship MB#3 Slate: I think they do too. But isn't it impossible due to his contract? Would be a question for Adam, but I remember him getting a BOAT load of benjamins up front......**********

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
newlander;3259950 said:
I respectfully disagree Gaede. He's well respected and liked, but it's a business and when you have as much invested in MB3 and then Felix is a #1 pick: it's a numbers game IMO. Personality has nothing to do with it. I'm not saying he'd be a #1, 30 carry per game back. But his talent, elusivity, vision and leadership would be valued by someone picking 17-26 in the second round IMO.

****We all WANT to ship MB#3 Slate: I think they do too. But isn't it impossible due to his contract? Would be a question for Adam, but I remember him getting a BOAT load of benjamins up front......**********

No adam needed. You can release Barber..no ramifications since it's an uncapped year. Barber is due a 4 mil bonus this june. That's real money that Jerry would be saving if he cut him before then.

I honestly hope he's gone. I want to see a Jones and Choice combo

newlander

Reaction score
Thanks Slate...I just can't wrap my mind around this whole "uncapped year" thing. It's really gonna happen...unreal to me. I really didn't think it would come to fruition. BAD for GBay, KC, Oakland, etc...and great for Dallas, Washington, Giants, etc....

I just can't disagree with you on MB3: they know he's going downhill, it's real obvious. Put Tate in there with Choice and Jones and look the ______ out!

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
newlander;3259995 said:
Thanks Slate...I just can't wrap my mind around this whole "uncapped year" thing. It's really gonna happen...unreal to me. I really didn't think it would come to fruition. BAD for GBay, KC, Oakland, etc...and great for Dallas, Washington, Giants, etc....

I just can't disagree with you on MB3: they know he's going downhill, it's real obvious. Put Tate in there with Choice and Jones and look the ______ out!

The uncapped year isn't what you think. It won't be like baseball. There's numerous restrictions from allowing teams to become like the Yankees. If anything, it rewards teams that draft really well since keeping your drafted players is alot easier.

Reaction score
newlander;3259939 said:
Look at the facts here guys: 3 quality RB's is too many. Yeah, if one or two gets hurt you want all three but it's a luxury that most teams can't get away with year after year. Not enough footballs to go around for sure. One or two will end up butt hurt and probably are already. Everyone talks about MB3 getting traded but I just don't see it happening. He has a huge contract and........he's been hurt as well. As much as it pains me to say it Choice is the guy I think they're considering moving IF the right price comes along. His contract is low, he's easy to trade and I think there are teams willing to give up a mid to low 2nd rounder for him, knowing they can plug him right into the starting lineup. This opens up all sorts of possibilities on the draft board. And don't tell me they aren't entertaining the idea because they're rumored to be looking at RB's including Tate out of Auburn. (San Franciso, KC and Houston pick 17-20 in the 2nd round and all need a RB of Choice's talent and character)

2nd round pick ? only way we let him go is if we get offered a 1st. Like you said he can start for many teams in the league. I hope we keep him. Get rid of Barber.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
newlander;3259939 said:

If it were me, I'd probably cut Barber to keep Choice and have him split time with Jones, but we'll see. This doesnt look like a particularly good RB draft and people have NFL film on Choice having success against good teams. Somebody that really needs a starting quality RB might offer a premium pick for him and depending on what it is, it might be worth it for us. If they are bound and determined to keep Barber, then trading Choice (for the right pick/s) would be worth it because at least we could get help at another position for a guy we probably wouldnt be playing much barring injury to soemone else.

arglebargle

Reaction score
I can recall Jerry saying a couple of times that trading players up close to the draft is the worst for your return. If he can take the money hit of Barber's bonus, then sometime around training camp, when some team's starting RB goes down, you can make a much better deal.

Though I am sure Jerry is happy to listen to any draft pick proposals that cross his desk.

yimyammer

Reaction score
newlander;3259995 said:

The business is to win football games and I don't understand how a team can't just put the best player on the field regardless of how much a player is paid or where they were drafted.

Randy White

Reaction score
NOBODY is trading for Barber. He plays the easiest position to replace and his contract is bloated.

Choice, on the other hand, would bring back the most value. What pick would that be, I don't know other than I'm almost sure it wouldn't be a 1st or 2nd round pick and since anything after that is actually less valuable to the Cowboys than Choice is, he's not going anywhere either.

The only way Barber gets off the roster is if they cut him.

Randy White

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3260008 said:
The uncapped year isn't what you think. It won't be like baseball. There's numerous restrictions from allowing teams to become like the Yankees. If anything, it rewards teams that draft really well since keeping your drafted players is alot easier.

No, it won't be like baseball, but he is right in that it could be good for teams who'd want to spend money.

Although there will be plenty of restrictions to sign players who's contracts have expired, there are no restrictions to sign players who's contracts were terminated. If teams go on cost cutting mode, like they should if they're smart, there should be a tremendous amount to talent on the streets, more so than the players who's contract have expired.

Theoritically speaking, the Cowboys themselves could be getting rid of at least two talented players who can still contribute, but their contracts are too bloated to keep: Newman and Hamlin. Like them, most of the rest of the teams would be doing the same.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
Randy White;3260308 said:
No, it won't be like baseball, but he is right in that it could be good for teams who'd want to spend money.

Although there will be plenty of restrictions to sign players who's contracts have expired, there are no restrictions to sign players who's contracts were terminated. If teams go on cost cutting mode, like they should if they're smart, there should be a tremendous amount to talent on the streets, more so than the players who's contract have expired.

Theoritically speaking, the Cowboys themselves could be getting rid of at least two talented players who can still contribute, but their contracts are too bloated to keep: Newman and Hamlin. Like them, most of the rest of the teams would be doing the same.

what about Flo an MBIII - Hamlin is really not that bad

Newman you want to get rid a top 10 CB - it amazes me

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Both.

Jerry the GM makes a blockbuster draft day trade with Jerry the Owner. Owner Jerry even offers to throw in a 5th rounder for the rights to Choice while GM Jerry returns a 7th rounder from next years draft, along with Barber.

Joe_Fan

Continuity Is Overrated
Reaction score
Gaede;3259941 said:

It's the same reason why Austin wasn't played much initially.

We're strapped down by players with ridiculous contracts.

So unfortunately that forces us to play players like Williams and MBIII when we have much cheaper and more productive players on our roster.

Joe_Fan

Continuity Is Overrated
Reaction score
UnoDallas;3260384 said:
what about Flo an MBIII - Hamlin is really not that bad

Newman you want to get rid a top 10 CB - it amazes me
Newman is making more than Romo this year.

And quite honestly he's nowhere near what we're paying him.