Who has a Lance 5 jersey? Read post 48

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I kinda get the whole disliking buying jerseys for putting money in Jerry Jones' pocket but never understood why simply wearing sports apparel is held so negatively by some people. It is like some sub-cultural taboo. Where did this clothing aversion originate? In America? Or overseas?
I wore jerseys like crazy as a kid, had a closet full, but have never purchased one in my adult life. I have several Cowboys hats, tshirts, etc, but zero jerseys and have no real desire to buy one either. Granted part of that is because of the high amount of player turnover anymore and don't want to drop $150+ on a players jersey only to see them on another team a year from now, but something about it does feel weird to me as well these days.

stiletto

Reaction score
I kinda get the whole disliking buying jerseys for putting money in Jerry Jones' pocket but never understood why simply wearing sports apparel is held so negatively by some people. It is like some sub-cultural taboo. Where did this clothing aversion originate? In America? Or overseas?
I don't know I just have never understood grown men wearing jerseys of other men. I wear cowboys hats and t-shirts,etc but I don't think you have to wear a jersey of a dude to show you're a fan. I guess I'm just intrigued as to why people feel it is a cool thing to do. I was taught by my father not to disrespect my name or put another man's name above my own. Guess it is upbringing for me ..

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I mean, you've gotten this far in counting, I'd probably just hang on to 5 for a bit. Enjoy the win.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I don't know I just have never understood grown men wearing jerseys of other men. I wear cowboys hats and t-shirts,etc but I don't think you have to wear a jersey of a dude to show you're a fan. I guess I'm just intrigued as to why people feel it is a cool thing to do. I was taught by my father not to disrespect my name or put another man's name above my own. Guess it is upbringing for me ..
Agree. I wore them as a kid often, but a lot of these guys I looked up to and idolized. As an adult it's a different player/fan relationship and I don't put athletes on a pedestal.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wore jerseys like crazy as a kid, had a closet full, but have never purchased one in my adult life. I have several Cowboys hats, tshirts, etc, but zero jerseys and have no real desire to buy one either. Granted part of that is because of the high amount of player turnover anymore and don't want to drop $150+ on a players jersey only to see them on another team a year from now, but something about it does feel weird to me as well these days.
Correct me if I am wrong. You became disinterested in wearing a jersey with player names on the back as an adult but was not personally adverse to wearing them before reaching adulthood? Is that correct? You do point out that player movement (which I also never liked regardless of what players wear) would be a turnover because the investment would not be relevant to what you would initially pay for. I can understand that too.

Does price and player movement play a major factor in feeling weird about wearing any player's jersey? Does a player's name on a jersey add to that weirdness in your opinion?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
For me jerseys are all about the team….not the name of the back. The name on the back is secondary….when I see someone it’s usually from the front….

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Agree. I wore them as a kid often, but a lot of these guys I looked up to and idolized. As an adult it's a different player/fan relationship and I don't put athletes on a pedestal.
As a child I think jerseys were about idolizing the name on the back…..but that’s because you’re not a child very long. As an adult the names become interchangeable…the team becomes what I wear jerseys for not the player.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks. Family usually makes up a large part of any individual's self-identity. I find nothing wrong personally with your father's philosophy in 'overlay' another person's name atop your own. It enhances a person's sense of self in its own way.

This is a sub-cultural point of view though. It is fair saying most people buying sports apparel do not generally share it. Thanks again for helping me understand your take. I appreciate it.

stiletto

Reaction score
For me jerseys are all about the team….not the name of the back. The name on the back is secondary….when I see someone it’s usually from the front….
I prefer my jerseys in a display case on the wall with a signature. To me that's an investment/collectible. Otherwise, I don't like to play pretend football player anymore. Just my way but to each their own. I get it.

stiletto

Reaction score
None of my family plays for the Cowboys. So dumb.
So why wear another man's name? To pretend you are him? You can say something is dumb all you want but educate me why it is awesome to dress up as another guy to show you are a fan....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I prefer my jerseys in a display case on the wall with a signature. To me that's an investment/collectible. Otherwise, I don't like to play pretend football player anymore. Just my way but to each their own. I get it.
Yeah I just don’t view it that way but I never did. As a kid I wore jerseys but had no idea what I was wearing…didn’t know the players I was more a NbA fan…idolized Shaq and Penny…..

It’s just supporting your team. When I see someone with a 88 I don’t think oh they are idolizing Irvin or Dez…you wouldn’t know. I’m not looking at someone’s backside to see what name is on the jersey…they are just repping the Cowboys….

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So why wear another man's name? To pretend you are him? You can say something is dumb all you want but educate me why it is awesome to dress up as another guy to show you are a fan....
I never seen someone correlate wearing a jersey to “dress up” lol…I think this is when pretending to be an alpha is going too far lol….

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Some of you need to tap the brakes on Lance. Some already have him starting at some point during the season and one fan has him leading us deep in the playoffs. :rolleyes:

CWR

Reaction score
I got one. Leggo Lance!!! Leggo COWBOYS!!

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong. You became disinterested in wearing a jersey with player names on the back as an adult but was not personally adverse to wearing them before reaching adulthood? Is that correct? You do point out that player movement (which I also never liked regardless of what players wear) would be a turnover because the investment would not be relevant to what you would initially pay for. I can understand that too.

Does price and player movement play a major factor in feeling weird about wearing any player's jersey? Does a player's name on a jersey add to that weirdness in your opinion?
The honest answer there is I don't fully know. Cost and player movement is certainly a factor, but I really don't have a desire to wear a jersey in general these days so I'm assuming more goes into it than simply that. Now if someone gifted me a jersey would I have a hard stance that I could never wear it? No, but I'm also skeptical that I would ever wear it outside of actually going to a game.

The reasons that could be anything from what you've mentioned to some psychological trauma this team put me through as a kid to having a different outlook on life and athletes in general. In reality it's probably a combination of all that plus more.

CWR

Reaction score
It looks cool. Don't be a hater. We're not trying to pass it off as business attire. It's Sunday morning gear, that is all.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You pansies and your jerseys.

If you don't have at the very least a full sleeve of Cowboys tats, then get back on the porch.
It is funny you say that, although I know it is a swipe at Prescott lol, but I never got a permanent tattoo in my entire life. I'm 59. The only tattoos I ever had were those temporary sticky label transfer kind that wash off. :muttley: