Who here wants McCarthy back?

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never wanted him in the first place tbh.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
4-9 is not a knee jerk reaction.

4-9 indicates major problems along with a very rough start to the season when the team was much healthier.

If not for a miraculous win against Atlanta, this team woule be 3-10.

That is cause for concern and the Head Coach needs to be held accountable.
You are clueless.We lost the entire offensive line, many of their backups and the starting QB. Yeah, let’s fire the HC. Clueless.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First of all, who is Booger going to hire after firing McC under these circumstances? The other HC's fired had time on the job and history and Booger hired this man after a 12 hour interview and ended the search, that's how sold on him he was. After a season like this one he becomes unsold? No way that happens.

The man, any man, deserves, at minimum, a second year with a full and normal off season.

Now, about Nolan, that's different but he's been coaching under the same set of circumstances as McC and has had his own share of replacement players. Does anyone here think he actually calls plays for LB's to get caught flat footed and out of their gap? Faulting the play caller goes just so far before player execution takes over.

J12B

Reaction score
You are clueless.We lost the entire offensive line, many of their backups and the starting QB. Yeah, let’s fire the HC. Clueless.

We haven't been losing because of poor offensive line play.

It's been because of awful defense against the run, terrible on 3rd down, not forcing turnovers.

The main problem with the offense is turnovers and not protecting the ball.

Most of that is on coaching.

You just don't understand football.

RS12

Reaction score
Never liked the hire to begin with but if they are going to bring in the same or worse, what's the difference. And unfortunately that is Jerry's MO.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
If the logic around here is that Mike McCarthy deserves another year, wouldn't that also qualify for Mike Nolan?

Didn't Nolan get the same amount of time that McCarthy got to make and implement any changes.

Trick question, because they both never should have been hired in the first place.

When someone shows and tells you who they are, believe them.

It just takes some of you a few years to finally acknowledge it.

Or in Jerry's case, 10 years of Garrett and 25 years (and counting) of his own ineptness.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It's been because of awful defense against the run, terrible on 3rd down, not forcing turnovers.

How can turnovers and protecting the ball be on people not on the field. That is execution and that is on the players. I do not think Moore called one fumble this year.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
With the caveat that he has to can Nolan, yes, I would take him back

J12B

Reaction score
How can turnovers and protecting the ball be on people not on the field. That is execution and that is on the players. I do not think Moore called one fumble this year.

It's about discipline.

Tell me what good coached teams have a lot of turnovers.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I don't.

This team looks awful under him.

Even early in the season when healthier they looked awful and undisciplined.

That's all on the head coach.

He's accomplished nothing since getting here and done nothing to suggest he can turn this team around.

But of course Jones will give him another year.
too bad hes clearly back, guess you need to move on..,:lmao2:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

AND we have a terrible defense and DC.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I want to see him in at least a somewhat normal year with a defense on the field. If he insists on bringing Nolan back, then I want him gone. Nolan is his problem and he should be smart enough to cut bait and make the change.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
I think it’s misguided to fire him after one season.

I do want a new DC though. Hiring Nolan was his main mistake.

Not sure if mentioned anywhere but his 1st choice was Jim Haslett and he decided to go with Titans as LB coach, not sure why but they spent last offseason in the bunker going over tape "supposedly"

maybe he saw enough of how Big Mac would do things and said i want know part of this.

wecasa

Reaction score
Give him another shot. A full offseason including training camp. Gotta dump the defense tho. They never showed any signs of improvement all year long. The offense, despite losing just about every starter on the line has improved and played at least average at times. The defense still blows assignments. Still cant tackle. Still cant get off the field on 3rd down. Still chases down plays from behind.

Now if the season starts much the same as it did this season, I'd have a short leash. But because it's Old Jer, he will ride it out, make no significant changes and sell it as the greatest show on turf.

I'm tired. No more drinking the Koolaid. I'm out.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I didn’t want him from the beginning, really. I wanted Meyer or Matt Rhule.

But at this point, it’d be unfair to fire him after his first year. This season has been so bad for us from an injury standpoint, plus the pandemic, that he’s at least deserves to show us what he can do with a healthy roster.

Another point: it’s hard to attract good coaching candidates when you fire them after one bad year. Firing McCarthy would set a bad precedent when finding the next HC.
that cute but well fist off rumors have it that meyers may not coach again with the same health issues he had at OSU,, so what we would have had him one to 2 years and quit..nah

Rhule what has he done that truly better then MM? seriously same record and the panther s had half the injures that we had to try and overcome..MM was in a no win situation because it was not just few injuries' it was so many has to be record and they never have stopped we are losing players at a record pace especially OL, DBs, and played ALL our qbs....

there zero proof any of thes choices do any better this season given the circumstances..

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don't.

This team looks awful under him.

Even early in the season when healthier they looked awful and undisciplined.

That's all on the head coach.

He's accomplished nothing since getting here and done nothing to suggest he can turn this team around.

But of course Jones will give him another year.

Typical fan that simply doesn't understand football or coaching.

But to answer your question...........................MM wasnt my first choice and I dont think its really a matter of wanting or not. What are the replacement options? Personally I think you have to give any new coach two years.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Of course he should be back. This isn’tMadden. You don’t knee jerk yourself and fire him after 1 year.

Unless your a Garrett lover and then you want him fired even though they gave their hero 10 years of ineptitude.

Sheepish

Reaction score
Midseason I was on the fence because we looked SO bad.

But even now I think you have to give him another season. The offense was doing pretty well until Dak went down and some of the circumstances this season were beyond his control.

I would like to see Nolan replaced though. I would also like to see better decision making and less drama on special teams for example.