Who here wants McCarthy back?

CapnB

Reaction score
Im willing to give him a mulligan. Not a coach in this league could win with the junk we've had to play with this season. I dont think for 2 seconds Nolan will be back tho. I get it was a new system but you dont set records at being one of the worst defenses in the history of the league and there not be changes.

conner01

Reaction score
I don't.

This team looks awful under him.

Even early in the season when healthier they looked awful and undisciplined.

That's all on the head coach.

He's accomplished nothing since getting here and done nothing to suggest he can turn this team around.

But of course Jones will give him another year.
Who here’s opinion matters?

conner01

Reaction score
Team looks lost, passive, and game time decisions are pretty bad
MM is really poor at decision making to me
Poor strategy on going for 4th downs and punts
And while some of his decisions worked out there was a couple I thought were bad decisions even though they worked

fivetwos

Reaction score
I didn't want him in the first place but he's not getting fired after this messed-up year.
Curious....who did you want at the time?

Not calling you out...I didnt love it either at first...just asking what youd have done.

I think I liked the idea of Marvin Lewis as bad as that sounds....but I think he would have had this defense in line....and maybe that can still happen.

I also wouldn't mind drafting based on what he wants in players.

streetcredit

Reaction score
MM is really poor at decision making to me
Poor strategy on going for 4th downs and punts
And while some of his decisions worked out there was a couple I thought were bad decisions even though they worked

For example, yesterday with 2 min left in the game ....up by 16....4th and 1 from around 5 yard line. You kick a FG and go up by 3 scores, if they miss the 4th down conversion, there was a sliver of hope for the Bungles.

conner01

Reaction score
For example, yesterday with 2 min left in the game ....up by 16....4th and 1 from around 5 yard line. You kick a FG and go up by 3 scores, if they miss the 4th down conversion, there was a sliver of hope for the Bungles.
I agree
Whether it works or not to me is not the question
Was it a smart decision
MM wasn’t on my list of HC I wanted but we are stuck with him for the next year anyway
I get being aggressive but you have to be smart about it
I don’t mind fake punts but not if a failure leaves the other team in FG range
I like going on 4Th once you pass midfield but short of FG range but you have to call a play that has a reasonable chance of working
MM doesn’t make smart decisions and I think he gets aggressive sometimes just to be aggressive with no real plan to succeed

Shane612

Reaction score
Firing him after only one year would be like Jerry admitting he made a mistake.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't.

He's accomplished nothing since getting here and done nothing to suggest he can turn this team around.

I would keep him for next year because of COVID. But, his seat should be iron hot next year.

Shane612

Reaction score
Considering who hires the coaches...does it really matter. Odds are the coach brought in, would not be any better.

Yup.
Why doesn't Jerry add another title to his already long list of titles:
Owner/President/General Manager/Head Coach.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I think he deserves another chance. I want Mike Nolan gone as defensive coordinator though.

I want to see how McCarthy fares with a healthy Dak, a healthy offensive line (eight players that have started on the o-line have spent time on IR), and a defense that's not historically bad.

McCarthy has had a winning track record. I think a combination of no offseason, injuries of ridiculous proportions, and a defensive scheme change with personnel drafted for a different philosophy all worked against Big Mike this year.

Spot on

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think it’s misguided to fire him after one season.

I do want a new DC though. Hiring Nolan was his main mistake.
He can help his cause by cutting ties with Nolan, and hiring a ringer at DC,, question is who is that?

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't.

The game I thought the Cowboys looked best was against the Steelers. Then the Viking game to some extent. But every other game was pretty much how you described them. But we all know he's coming back. It's going to take another year of looking somewhat motivated and undisciplined to remove this head coach.

ICP

Reaction score
I've gotten to the point that I don't care anymore. Honestly don't think it makes a difference who coaches the team as long as dumb and dumber are running the show

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't.

I'm fairly indifferent to it. Obviously, I'd like to go out and find a coach who takes us immediately to the Super Bowl, but it's not that easy to find that guy.

With McCarthy, I know that he knows how to get there, but the question is whether he got there simply because he had a future Hall of Fame quarterback. Also, although we needed to see more from him this year, It's hard to judge him fairly when he's lost his three All-Pro offensive linemen and a fourth who probably should have been last year along with his starting quarterback. The defensive failings are on him and the coordinator he chose to hire, but obviously the offense hasn't been near what it was supposed to be.

So if you can find me a coach guaranteed to turn this team around his first year, I'm all for it. Otherwise, I'm fine with giving McCarthy another year and seeing what happens.