Who is faster, Parsons or Hollywood Henderson?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I’m basing it off his overall ability and what he could have accomplished had he not been so busy doing drugs and promoting himself. You’re definitely missing something with him. He could have been Lawrence Taylor before Lawrence Taylor. Henderson admitted he was high during some games and he only played six seasons. He had 5 career INT’s and 13 1/2 career sacks while missing a number of games. He had 79 return yards off those 3 INT’s in 1977. He had a pick six in the NFC championship game vs the Rams. He helped dislodge the ball from Terry Bradshaw in the Super Bowl that Mike Hegman returned for a TD. He made some big plays in big games. He never got the most out of the ability he had because of the drugs and not being committed to being the best football player he could. Even Tom Landry said he could have been a lot better than he was if it wasn’t for the drugs and all of his antics. Landry cut him because he was smiling on the sidelines during a loss promoting some towels he was waving.

I may be bias, but that was the best Super Bowl ever! I don't think we'll have that many Hall of Famers on a Super Bowl field ever again.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Henderson said in this interview that Landry wanted all the rookies to shave their beards and he refused to shave his. Right from the start he went against the grain.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I may be bias, but that was the best Super Bowl ever! I don't think we'll have that many Hall of Famers on a Super Bowl field ever again.

The Cowboys had 6 Hall of Fame players on the field in those two Super Bowls against Pittsburgh. They had 5 Hall of Fame players on the field against Pittsburgh and Super Bowl XXX counting Deion. They could have had more Hall of Fame players on the field in those 70s Super Bowls had they beat Pittsburgh in both.

Tractor1

Reaction score
Who do you think ran a faster 40 time, Micah Parsons or Hollywood Henderson? There are different sources out there, but what is your best guess?

Henderson ran 4.6 at 220 lbs. Parsons seems to be bigger and faster.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Who do you think ran a faster 40 time, Micah Parsons or Hollywood Henderson? There are different sources out there, but what is your best guess?
Hollywood is 68 years old so I would say definitely Parsons. I don't think it would even be a close race.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I tell you the truth. I don’t know if it even matters. Speed, quickness, I don’t have statistics.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Henderson ran 4.6 at 220 lbs. Parsons seems to be bigger and faster.

That’s what it says when you Google it. He looked a lot faster than that. According to Google Lawrence Taylor ran a 4.53 40.

plasticman

Reaction score
Do not remember Hollywood sacking or pressuring the QB
Wasnt he prototypical off ball LB. LBs didnt edge rush as much back in the day. He was good but not LT good.
Unfair comparison. LT played in a 3-4 where there is always an unknown blitzer besides the front 3. The 3-4 defense incorporates an element of surprise in that you never know who that mystery blitzer is. Sometimes it was LT.

plasticman

Reaction score
The Cowboys had 6 Hall of Fame players on the field in those two Super Bowls against Pittsburgh. They had 5 Hall of Fame players on the field against Pittsburgh and Super Bowl XXX counting Deion. They could have had more Hall of Fame players on the field in those 70s Super Bowls had they beat Pittsburgh in both.
Super Bowl 6 Cowboy Hall of Famers:

Roger Staubach
Lance Alworth
Bob Hayes
Mike Ditka
Rayfield Wright
Bob Lilly
Herb Adderly
Mel Renfro

conner01

Reaction score
Was Henderson 250 pounds running a 4.3 40? I doubt it.

A lot of the players some of you grew up cheering for in the 60s and 70s would get bullied in today’s NFL because they would be physically outmatched.

A guy like Bruce Carter would’ve looked like Ray Lewis back then.
It’s not even close
There were few CB in those days running as fast as parsons
A LB with CB speed is rare today and today’s athletes are bigger, stronger and faster
But in his time Henderson was fast for a LB
But today he’d be slow and probably ran 4.6 or worse

conner01

Reaction score
Parson likely faster but Henderson during his playing days was one of the fastest LB in the league.
That’s the key
In his day
Today everyone is so much faster
In his day he was what parson is today, a freakish athlete compared to the guys he played against
Parsons is faster than some CB

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I was thinking collectively - both the Cowboys and the Steelers. The Steelers had 11 HofF in that game (including Chuck Noll); the Cowboys had 7 (including Tom Landry).
18 Hall of Famers on one field. I don't think that's ever going to happen again.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I was thinking collectively - both the Cowboys and the Steelers. The Steelers had 11 HofF in that game (including Chuck Noll); the Cowboys had 7 (including Tom Landry).
18 Hall of Famers on one field. I don't think that's ever going to happen again.

Pretty close between the Cowboys and Dolphins in the 1971 Super Bowl. I came up with 16 coaches and players on the field.

plasticman

Reaction score
For every pound that the Cowboys of the 70's lacked in weight compared to the current team, add it to their heart and love of the game. Many of them would have played for free.

The teams of the 70's played football. They would hardly recognize the game today with it's lopsided rules that favor offenses and handicap the defense. Today's football is half a game. With the exceptions of turnovers and sacks, fans hardly notice great defensive play. The only time a defensive name is called, it's for something negative and that is unbalanced.

The 70's teams didn't have "in the grasp" or "helmet to helmet" rules. The play was over when the QB was on the ground. They didn't have a no contact rule beyond five yards, receivers had to earn that catch. Roughing the passer? Only if the whistle had blown. Those are only a few differences.

And yet, there are far more game absences due to injury today than there ever was back in the 70's. Look back at the histories of these players. It wasn't unusual at all to find ten year careers in which they missed two or three games total.

The teams of the 70's didn't have players that had been trained at football summer camps since they were 8. They weren't administered selective, scientific diets that enhanced their abilities to get bigger and stronger. they didn't have personal, state-of-the-art weightlifting programs by experts who graduated from college with degrees in "Sports management".

How man fans today would have enjoyed the 6-2 score between the Cowboys and Browns in 1970 or the 5-0 score two weeks later in the playoffs? They were great! The Cowboys won both.

Please stop comparing today's NFL athletes to previous eras.-It's not relevant. It's not fair unless you acknowledge that the greatest difference between the two were the rules they had to play under. Do you really believe that guys like Romo, Brady, and Mahomes would survive a season if there was no such thing as "in the grasp"?

Again, I very much respect the dedication and skills of the football players today and I'm in no way belittling the intensity of their fan devotion. I'm just saying it was a different game played by a different kind of athlete back then.

A small story to add a little humor and take off a little of the edge:

Don Meredith, one of the toughest sons of a gun to ever put on a helmet, was playing with injured ribs. the team doctor had given him a protective jacket that was filled with a fluid that happened to be red in color.

On one particular play, Giant Hall of Famer LB Sam Huff hit Meredith so hard that he went instantly to the ground and the jacket ruptured. Huff was horrified to see all this red liquid oozing out of Meredith's chest. Meredeith looked up at Huff and said calmly, "Now look what you've done, Sam. You killed me!"

Flamma

Reaction score
Was Henderson 250 pounds running a 4.3 40? I doubt it.

A lot of the players some of you grew up cheering for in the 60s and 70s would get bullied in today’s NFL because they would be physically outmatched.

A guy like Bruce Carter would’ve looked like Ray Lewis back then.

Of course. But that doesn't include everyone. There were some player back then that could play today. Especially many of the WRs.

Back on those decades most of the players played for the love of the game and winning. Now that big money is involved you're going to attract attention. Now you're getting just the best athletes, not necessarily those that love the game.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Of course. But that doesn't include everyone. There were some player back then that could play today. Especially many of the WRs.

Back on those decades most of the players played for the love of the game and winning. Now that big money is involved you're going to attract attention. Now you're getting just the best athletes, not necessarily those that love the game.

I think Tony Dorsett would be great today but Cowboy fans would probably call him a change of pace back.

Flamma

Reaction score
I think Tony Dorsett would be great today but Cowboy fans would probably call him a change of pace back.

Tony Dorsett would probably be better today. Defenses no longer gang tackle like they used to. I'm not saying the players aren't bigger and stronger today, but they play much less aggressive. Dorsett would eat them alive. Go back and watch some of those late 80s early 90s games. The first thing you'll notice is how much more violent the game is. Dorsett then was what he would be now, elusive and really fast. But he, unlike RBs today, faced a lot of really good defenses. Today the best defense you're going to see is a bit above average. Thank the salary cap for that.

I think Hollywood Henderson had the speed and frame to play in today's game. But anytime we talk about players of the past, most probably wouldn't make it now. The money wasn't there, so you didn't attract the best talent. Just the most enthusiastic.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Tony Dorsett would probably be better today. Defenses no longer gang tackle like they used to. I'm not saying the players aren't bigger and stronger today, but they play much less aggressive. Dorsett would eat them alive. Go back and watch some of those late 80s early 90s games. The first thing you'll notice is how much more violent the game is. Dorsett then was what he would be now, elusive and really fast. But he, unlike RBs today, faced a lot of really good defenses. Today the best defense you're going to see is a bit above average. Thank the salary cap for that.

I think Hollywood Henderson had the speed and frame to play in today's game. But anytime we talk about players of the past, most probably wouldn't make it now. The money wasn't there, so you didn't attract the best talent. Just the most enthusiastic.

This speed works in any era.

Flamma

Reaction score
Last edited: