Who is more clutch. Tony or Dak?

cern

Reaction score
More like your ability to use sarcasm. Maybe the glitch that you are always babbling about is between your ears, given how rarely your gibberish adds up to a complete sentence.
I haven't mentioned the glitch in quite a while other than to say dak doesn't have it. It amazes me how easily some are driven to anger. A dull rapier bears no wit.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Did he? Did he choose Dak while Romo was still on the team, or did he choose Dak when he had no choice?
You are very right sir...still no choice to the player was Daks momentum giving the team as a whole no choice. I Mean heck, I think they won 11 in a row.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Romo had zero div playoff wins, zero NFC championship appearances, and zero super bowl appearances in the brief ten years that he was here so he didn't win anything and therefore is not clutch.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Romo had zero div playoff wins, zero NFC championship appearances, and zero super bowl appearances in the brief ten years that he was here so he didn't win anything and therefore is not clutch.

You can win games and still not be clutch

See Aaron Rodgers. But I guess we are pushing "clutch" to championships and Super Bowls now. That's cool, I can go with that, since it can shut people up about Dak being clutch.

Gator88

Reaction score
I have some data on this, regarding playoff performance.

QB vs average defensive performance (defensive home/away split stats or combined if neutral):

1966-1993 have to manually calculate

1994 Green Bay D passer rating playing at opponent: 73.8
Aikman passer rating: 121.1, above (1-0)

1994 San Fransisco D passer rating playing at home: 67.8
Aikman passer rating: 68.1, above (2-0)

1995 Philadelphia D passer rating playing at opponent: 62.4
Aikman passer rating: 101.6, above (3-0)

1995 Green Bay D passer rating playing at opponent: 93.2
Aikman passer rating: 107.5, above (4-0)

1995 Pittsburgh D passer rating playing anywhere: 75.5
Aikman passer rating: 108.8, above (5-0)

1996 Minnesota D passer rating playing at opponent: 83.8
Aikman passer rating: 67.9, below (5-1)

1996 Carolina D passer rating playing at home: 53.6
Aikman passer rating: 37.4, below (5-2)

1998 Arizona D passer rating playing at opponent: 89.9
Aikman passer rating: 37, below (5-3)

1999 Minnesota D passer rating playing at home: 77.3
Aikman passer rating: 70.7, below (5-4)

2003 Carolina D passer rating playing at opponent: 78.6
Carter passer rating: 56.9, below (0-1)

2006 Seattle D passer rating playing at home: 75
Romo passer rating: 89.6, above (1-0)

2007 New York D passer rating playing at opponent: 74.9
Romo rating: 64.7, below (1-1)

2009 Philadelphia D passer rating playing at opponent: 77.8
Romo rating: 104.9, above (2-1)

2009 Minnesota D passer rating playing at home: 84.2
Romo rating: 66.1, below (2-2)

2014 Detroit D passer rating playing at opponent: 85.6
Romo rating: 114.0, above (3-2)

2014 Green Bay D passer rating playing at home: 76.7
Romo rating: 143.6, above (4-2)

2016 Green Bay D passer rating playing at opponent: 107.4
Prescott rating: 103.2, below (0-1)

2018 Seattle D passer rating playing at opponent: 95
Prescott rating: 83.6, below (0-2)

2018 LA D passer rating playing at home: 100.3
Prescott rating: 99.2, below (0-3)

Beuerlein, White, Staubach, etc. no info yet.
Aikman was 5-4 (incomplete) above average passer rating in playoffs.
Carter was 0-1 above average in playoffs.
Romo was 4-2 above average in playoffs.
Prescott is currently 0-3 above average in playoffs.

Excellent post, this doesn't exactly refer to clutch as in last drive plays, but is still an excellent indicator of playoff performance.

Calculating for averages:

Aikman (5/4) (of the 9 games shown) was an average of 4.76 passer rating above the opponent's average, with a high of +47.3 and a low of -52.9. Unsurprisingly he had positive differentials in 94 and 95 when he had incredibly strong supporting casts around him, and once that supporting cast declined, he was consistently performing worse than the average.

Carter (0/1) in his one playoff game had a -21.7 differential. Not really anything to say here.

Romo (4/2) in his 6 playoff games was an average of 18.12 passer rating above the opponents average with a high of +66.9 and a low of -18.1. Of Romo's 2 games where he performed under the opponent's average, he gets shortchanged in the Giants game, as he got robbed of a game winning touchdown when his receiver quit on a route for no reason, and then had to shoot for the endzone the next play and ended up with an interception.

Dak (0/3) in his 3 playoff games was an average of 5.57 passer rating below the opponent's average with a low of -11.4. Dak also has a rushing touchdown in each the Seattle and Los Angeles playoff games that don't get calculated in the passer rating if anyone was curious.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Just for arguments sake. It is possible that his play was "Clutch" but the team around him was not talented enough to get where they needed to be. Romo may have taken more chances because he needed to,to have chance what this thread is more about than just final records or championships. Cool?

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
There was nothing "clutch" about Dak in the Green Bay game, he was a huge reason we were chasing the Packers the entire game. That's not clutch.

Compare what Romo did against the Lions to the Green Bay game - Romo helped put that game away with a TD, Prescott tied the game up not take the lead.
I suggest you go back and watch that GB playoff game.......ohhh Romo came back and beat the Lions haha forgetting that Lawrence had 2 sack fumbles and 1 recovery to put away that game, not forgetting the controversial call.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
All these folks crapping on Dak in the playoffs and praising Romo are foolish. Romo beat McNabb/Vick and the Detroit Lions. Lost to a 40 year old Favre and fumbled a game winning FG.

Dak has played 3 games in the playoffs and all 3 games where against QBs that either won the Superbowl or was a starter in the Superbowl.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I suggest you go back and watch that GB playoff game.......ohhh Romo came back and beat the Lions haha forgetting that Lawrence had 2 sack fumbles and 1 recovery to put away that game, not forgetting the controversial call.

I don't need to rewatch the GB game, that is not a "clutch" game by Dak. He was part of the reason we had to play catch up the entire game and we didn't take the lead - GB did and won the game.

We were behind in the Lions game, Romo led us down the field late in the 4th and hit Williams in the end zone for a TD that took the lead. That qualifies as clutch DESPITE what the defense did after that and a controversial call is not Romo's fault. We could have still put 0 points up on the board after that, but instead, we took the lead. This isn't hard to get.

Gator88

Reaction score
All these folks crapping on Dak in the playoffs and praising Romo are foolish. Romo beat McNabb/Vick and the Detroit Lions. Lost to a 40 year old Favre and fumbled a game winning FG.

Dak has played 3 games in the playoffs and all 3 games where against QBs that either won the Superbowl or was a starter in the Superbowl.
:facepalm:

mattjames2010

Reaction score

Romo didn't face 40 year old Favre, he faced the Vikings D which was pretty dang good in 09
The Detroit Lions in 2014 also had a very good D and a really good pass rush, and they dominated our offensive line for most of the game

And LOL what did Romo face?

McNabb - started in a Super Bowl
Eli Manning - won two super bowls
Hasselbeck - started in a super bowl
Aaron Rodgers - won a super bowl

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I don't need to rewatch the GB game, that is not a "clutch" game by Dak. He was part of the reason we had to play catch up the entire game and we didn't take the lead - GB did and won the game.

We were behind in the Lions game, Romo led us down the field late in the 4th and hit Williams in the end zone for a TD that took the lead. That qualifies as clutch DESPITE what the defense did after that and a controversial call is not Romo's fault. We could have still put 0 points up on the board after that, but instead, we took the lead. This isn't hard to get.
You are so full of crap it's unbelievable, without Dak in that GB game we aren't even getting a chance to win.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Did he? Did he choose Dak while Romo was still on the team, or did he choose Dak when he had no choice?
The asked him after the chatter had started about Dak keeping the job he said, "Dak has things going pretty good for us right now, so we'll see how things go when the time comes." They asked him directly, who do you prefer? His response, "Well like I said we have things going...pretty good right now and I don't see how...I dont see how they go away from that."

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Romo didn't face 40 year old Favre, he faced the Vikings D which was pretty dang good in 09
The Detroit Lions in 2014 also had a very good D and a really good pass rush, and they dominated our offensive line for most of the game

And LOL what did Romo face?

McNabb - started in a Super Bowl
Eli Manning - won two super bowls
Hasselbeck - started in a super bowl
Aaron Rodgers - won a super bowl
I can play that game too.

Romo didn't face Hasselbeck he faced a FG that he fumbled..... He is so clutch, you win

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You are so full of crap it's unbelievable, without Dak in that GB game we aren't even getting a chance to win.

Both teams start 0-0 before every game. We had a chance to win, but instead, had a nothingburger up on the board for a while and had to scratch and claw our way back....but time ran out. That's what happens when you put yourself in a hole. Simple fact is, Dak was not "clutch" in that game.

Romo was clutch against Detroit.

Gator88

Reaction score
When Dak had the chance on his last drive to put away the Packers, but he had the ball swatted down at the line of scrimmage, forcing a fg? That only tied the game and made it so the Packers could win on a miracle fg instead of requiring a miracle td.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I can play that game too.

Romo didn't face Hasselbeck he faced a FG that he fumbled..... He is so clutch, you win

I am mocking YOU for bringing up the "DAK FACED THESE QBS!" This applies to Romo! Oh, I forget Favre...Favre won a Super Bowl as well. QBs don't face QBs, they face defenses.

Wipe the drool from your lip, this is too much for you.