Who is more important to keep: Byron or Quinn?

ghst187

Reaction score
I’d say Quinn but I suspect he will be like DLaw in that he plays his butt off in a contract year, gets his $ and then makes business decisions regarding effort...

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Bryon Jones was once an average Free Safety whose best ability was his covering the TE. Kris Richard moved him immediately to corner and he had his best season as a Cowboy. He followed it up with a strong season last year coming off hip surgery. Highly durable, has never missed a game, great locker room guy. As a shadow, press corner, very good, anything else very average.

Robert Quinn was acquired via trade with the Dolphins last year. He was coming off of an average sack year, but with the Cowboys he registered 11.5 sacks in just 14 games due to a suspension to start the year. Throughout last year, he certainly looked like an elite, edge rusher. He does have an injury history, but hasn't missed a healthy start in two seasons. Not a great run defender, more of a very good pass rusher.

Both players have some question marks. Fa dollars at each respective position is extremely costly. Byron due to his age, is going to cost much more on the open market, where Quinn is looking one last big contract.

As of fa and the draft, this year's class has more quality corners then edge rushers available, especially in the draft. You aren't going to replace either's production.

In my opinion, Robert Quinn is more of the wildcard, due to his age, injury past, where we know what we are getting with Bryon Jones, an durable, consistent starter. However, the deciding factor who makes my game changing plays? Robert Quinn and it's not even close.

Jones.

Quinn is terrible vs the run. He doesn’t protect the edge . We had many problems with him crashing down the line .

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Bryon Jones was once an average Free Safety whose best ability was his covering the TE. Kris Richard moved him immediately to corner and he had his best season as a Cowboy. He followed it up with a strong season last year coming off hip surgery. Highly durable, has never missed a game, great locker room guy. As a shadow, press corner, very good, anything else very average.

Robert Quinn was acquired via trade with the Dolphins last year. He was coming off of an average sack year, but with the Cowboys he registered 11.5 sacks in just 14 games due to a suspension to start the year. Throughout last year, he certainly looked like an elite, edge rusher. He does have an injury history, but hasn't missed a healthy start in two seasons. Not a great run defender, more of a very good pass rusher.

Both players have some question marks. Fa dollars at each respective position is extremely costly. Byron due to his age, is going to cost much more on the open market, where Quinn is looking one last big contract.

As of fa and the draft, this year's class has more quality corners then edge rushers available, especially in the draft. You aren't going to replace either's production.

In my opinion, Robert Quinn is more of the wildcard, due to his age, injury past, where we know what we are getting with Bryon Jones, an durable, consistent starter. However, the deciding factor who makes my game changing plays? Robert Quinn and it's not even close.

Even if i am a fan of a CB who once played the game my strong conviction is football is won up front.

Pass rush and the ability to stop the run helps your pass defense so much and makes them look good. I would invest in a good safety and draft 2 CBs. And keep Quinn.

Even if Gregory is coming back you cannot go into the season with only one guy knowing how to rush the passer. Gregory also will need some time to get back into shape. And remember he has still to be considered a rookie the way his "career" went so far. We can use Quinn as a stop gap to see if Gregory finally gets it.

Get 2 new DTs thru FA or 1 in the draft, 1 in FA. Hope for Hill to show some more motivation in his 2nd year (maybe the old coaching staff was a problem for him).

Byron also is a product of the system we played which longs for tall CBs. I would let him walk. For the money he will demand he is not the corner i would like to have.

DanA

Reaction score
I honestly wouldn't bring back either. Quinn IMO has come off a season playing above his level and Byron Jones will never get picks. I'd rather spend the money on a safety and a high priced DT and hope Gregory, Armstrong and some other DE free agent can get it done. Draft a corner.

kskboys

Reaction score
I honestly wouldn't bring back either. Quinn IMO has come off a season playing above his level and Byron Jones will never get picks. I'd rather spend the money on a safety and a high priced DT and hope Gregory, Armstrong and some other DE free agent can get it done. Draft a corner.
Quinn had 19 sacks one season.