News: Who is the Dallas Cowboy with the most to prove in 2017?

Pants

Reaction score
c'mon, the clapper has the most to prove...McClay just got him another load of shiny new toys, let's put them to good use

If you are talking about players only, then I would say start with DLawrence and TCrawford; and, even though they won't be playing (4 games and for the year, respectively), prove your worth Irving and Gregory by working hard and showing the team that you will be ready when the time comes (Gregory may be a lost cause)

Old'Boyfan

Reaction score
DLaw. Not even close to me. And Crawford is next

Absolutely agree on DLaw, nobody else is even close. DLaw's snap count %:
2014 - 21.1%
2015 - 66.3%
2016 - 31.1%
That's a pathetic ROI.

#2 to me just might be Cedric Thornton though. Cedric played only 26% of defensive snaps last year. Not good for what was our biggest FA signing in 2015. I realize snaps played is not the only factor in determining a player's value, but it is an indicator nonetheless.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last edited:

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
2014 - 21.1%
2015 - 66.3%
2016 - 31.1%
That's a pathetic ROI.

#2 to me just might be Cedric Thornton though. Cedric played only 26% of defensive snaps last year. Not good for what was our biggest FA signing in 2015. I realize snaps played is not the only factor in determining a player's value, but it is an indicator nonetheless.
Good post! Thanks for the snap count info. Good stuff

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
  • Dlaw has the most to prove...if he fails this year, he's gone
  • T Crawford - if he doesn't show more, I also believe that he's gone primarily because his contract is terrible. 9 million a year for him..:muttley::lmao::banghead:
  • Thorton - he has to show he's worth keeping
  • Scandrick - a bad year and he's gone. A mediocre year, and he's gone

Mostly defensive guys that are needing to prove it. There's probably 2-3 offensive guys that need to step up as well.

ALBIT

Reaction score
Not sure if he qualifies for the answer, but im going to say Jason Garrett. Years past he has got a free pass with Romo getting hurt , last year he stepped in you know what that Dak was so good. But this team has a had a tough time stringing 2 solid consecutive seasons in a row. So let's see how this season goes. If I had to choose I would choose him. This is not a knock on him at all ( while I don't love the guy as a head coach ) , but let's see what happens.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Byron Jones. Lawrence and Crawford are no brainers for hot seat and the only thing they have to prove is whether they should get playing time. Crawford's contract was a giant mistake. Byron has competition now and being average won't cut it. If Jordan Reed torches him again....

ALBIT

Reaction score
Byron Jones. Lawrence and Crawford are no brainers for hot seat and the only thing they have to prove is whether they should get playing time. Crawford's contract was a giant mistake. Byron has competition now and being average won't cut it. If Jordan Reed torches him again....

I don't think Jones was average. They had him playing all over and I think he handled it pretty well. He is very athletic. I like this kid. I see a good future for this kid. Im not worried about him too much, but I guess we will see.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I'm with you. If both don't have great seasons, they'll be out of here next year.

Dlaw is gone no matter what. But they'll probably keep Crawford another year because of that terrible contract.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
2014 - 21.1%
2015 - 66.3%
2016 - 31.1%
That's a pathetic ROI.

Reportedly, Thornton is supposed to be reporting in better shape this year -- maybe the opportunity to start has inspired more conditioning on his part, though. I'm hopeful that his improved fitness, performance and better familiarity with the defensive system might serve to help his cause.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Cowboys will always be "America's Team." It doesn't even sound right trying to apply the moniker to another team "Tampa Bay Buccaneers...America's Team."

ondaedg

Reaction score
I don't think Jones was average. They had him playing all over and I think he handled it pretty well. He is very athletic. I like this kid. I see a good future for this kid. Im not worried about him too much, but I guess we will see.

Haven't seen that flash of brilliance that demonstrates a high level of talent. Hope he proves me wrong.

gmoney112

Reaction score
This is a question that makes you realize a lot of the young talent on the team. There's a lot of potential at different areas.

The most obvious to me would be Dak, really just by nature of position.

ALBIT

Reaction score
Haven't seen that flash of brilliance that demonstrates a high level of talent. Hope he proves me wrong.

I agree with that totally. But not sure he was ever drafted to ever show this amazing flash of brilliance. They drafted him because he is a great athlete who can play different positions in the backfield. It's early in his career , so let's see how he does. I like the kid, but I have been wrong before.