Who Is The Next Recipiant Of The Rob Pettiti Award?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Was on a board that Brandon Noble's wife happened to find during a big discussion about him. Everyone was hating on him for signing with Washington and his wife told him about the thread and he showed up with the username BN75. Everyone thought he was a fake but someone on the board use to work for the Cowboys in some capacity and knew a lot of information about Brandon Noble that couldn't be googled. This guy posed several questions to Noble that only Brandon Noble would know such as the names of each of his agents, his first signing bonus and several other questions that google didn't provide answers for. Noble answered every question correctly and joined in the debate.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yea, that one never made sense. Almost couldn't tell the difference between a Cowboys' board and Eagles' board.....if it weren't for the pictures of Super Bowl trophies and Championship rings.

It was all due to a frustrated fan base that saw Bledsoe hit the turf like a crash dummy all season. The board I was on had fans who didn't seem to realize that Bledsoe was nailed to the turf and even a good OL would have had a tough time keeping him upright. Bledsoe was a QB who took a career high 55 sacks in 1999 in NE under Belichick.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
When a team goes into a season without addressing a position correctly and it's glaringly obvious to fans they tend to turn on the player if they struggle all year. This is unfair on the player but it's how it is, you want to stop the complaints, be better.

If Carr doesn't take a discount I think he is on a sixteen game count down to departure.

Damn so they're gonna cut Carr right before our first playoff game? That sucks

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I remember the quote from Parcells on Rob. "I won't let you fail." Felt bad for his father he was a great poster with good insight into the team.

Frozen700

Reaction score
I would say Mo Claiborne but that would be an insult to Rob, he could at least stay healthy.

kLhRkr6.png

MO deserves to be in a class all by himself.

I Nominate T-Will or Carr

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Lumping RW31 in with Rob Pettiti makes absolutely no sense when Pettiti was a 6th round pick who played and started only one season with the Cowboys. The Cowboys were stuck on the OL with little talent and pretty much had to start him which is why he became expendable after his rookie season. Pettiti lasted only 5 seasons in the NFL playing with 4 different teams and had only one start after he left the Cowboys. He was never that good a player or the Cowboys would have at least kept him as a backup.

The fact that he never stuck with a team more than 2 seasons points to him not being a very good player. RW31 was a top 10 pick who played like a top 10 pick for about 4 seasons. Even putting Felix Jones on that list makes no sense. He was a first round pick drafted to be a complimentary player to Marion Barber who was the starter. Felix never started a game as a rookie and played 5 years with the Cowboys showing flashes his first 3 seasons. Some here see things in a very odd way.

I don't see how Petitti got all the hate he received. Yes, he wasn't very good but he's a rookie 6th rounder who we drafted expecting that Jacob Rogers would start at RT (Jake actually looked good early on and won the starting spot before getting injured). I believe Torrin Tucker, who we had been developing for a while was expected to be the next man up buy never took that step forward. So we've got a kid who isn't ready getting thrown out there with a statue of a QB to protect.

Really, that one is on the front office and bad luck. There are tons of spots on many teams where a lack of depth is going to put someone who isn't ready in a starting spot - we got hit at a position where we were already thin and the results were predictable.

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
I don't see how Petitti got all the hate he received. Yes, he wasn't very good but he's a rookie 6th rounder who we drafted expecting that Jacob Rogers would start at RT (Jake actually looked good early on and won the starting spot before getting injured). I believe Torrin Tucker, who we had been developing for a while was expected to be the next man up buy never took that step forward. So we've got a kid who isn't ready getting thrown out there with a statue of a QB to protect.

Really, that one is on the front office and bad luck. There are tons of spots on many teams where a lack of depth is going to put someone who isn't ready in a starting spot - we got hit at a position where we were already thin and the results were predictable.

I think some people upped the hate due to the fact his father was posting here. For some reason they seemed to enjoy insulting Pettiti to his father.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Easy choice.......and it's already started. Chaz Green. Played like a bum during rookie mini camp.....

Already hurt.....

needed surgury already.......

Wasted a 3rd round pick on the guy....when he clearly could have been had much later. Should have taken Darryl Williams instead....or Jay Ajayi

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

I think another reason he received so much hate was because many FANS thought he was a lot better than what he was due to being named the starter on opening day. I know many on the board I was on at the time thought the Cowboys may have struck gold with Pettiti in the 6th round. Him being named the starter got everyone's expectations up and when he became the weak link on an already bad OL everyone pointed at him. The results with him that season were predictable and although he got thrown in way too soon the starting experience he gained as a rookie should have helped him develop into at least a solid backup in the league. The fact that he bounced around the league for 5 years and got very little playing time after he left the Cowboys indicates he was never a very good player.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Easy choice.......and it's already started. Chaz Green. Played like a bum during rookie mini camp.....

Already hurt.....

needed surgury already.......

Wasted a 3rd round pick on the guy....when he clearly could have been had much later. Should have taken Darryl Williams instead....or Jay Ajayi

Green hasn't even earned a spot on the team yet much less a starting job. He's closer to Jacob Rogers than Pettiti.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Surprised no one has mentioned Mike Jenkins he seems a lot closer to fitting the criteria for a Rob Pettiti award than the players that are being named. Jenkins had 6 picks his first 2 seasons 5 coming in 2009 which appeared to be his breakout season. After a pro bowl season in 09 Jenkins looked as if he might become one of the better young corners in the game but began a steady decline in 2010 highlighted by his infamous ole move vs the Packers on a Sunday Night game. He ended up getting beat out by Orlando Scandrick a 5th round pick. After Jenkins recorded 6 int's his first 2 seasons he only produced 4 int's his next 5 seasons.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Surprised no one has mentioned Mike Jenkins he seems a lot closer to fitting the criteria for a Rob Pettiti award than the players that are being named. Jenkins had 6 picks his first 2 seasons 5 coming in 2009 which appeared to be his breakout season. After a pro bowl season in 09 Jenkins looked as if he might become one of the better young corners in the game but began a steady decline in 2010 highlighted by his infamous ole move vs the Packers on a Sunday Night game. He ended up getting beat out by Orlando Scandrick a 5th round pick. After Jenkins recorded 6 int's his first 2 seasons he only produced 4 int's his next 5 seasons.

But that's not the criteria for the Pettiti award if I'm remembering correctly. It's which player gets an irrational and overwhelming amount of hate. Petiti was not a good layer for us, but the level of vitriol aimed at him was far greater than what was deserved. It's more of whipping boy/scapegoat. Carr, Mo and Hayden all fit the bill at this point in time. Underperforming based on salary/draft position/expectations = burn at the stake.

If people are calling for him to be cut RIGHT NOW (despite the fact that it's the offseason and it does not make football sense to cut a player like that before going through training camp), then he's probably a good candidate. The 'award' is more of a reflection of the fans with pitchforks than it is the player himself.

fortdick

Reaction score
Past winners of the annual zone whipping boy award have been.. Phil Costa, Troy Hambrick, Julius Jones, Felix Jones, both Roy Williams and Nick Hayden... Who else have I missed..

It's too late for Bobbie Carpenter, but my guess is it will be Sean Lee

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
I think some people upped the hate due to the fact his father was posting here. For some reason they seemed to enjoy insulting Pettiti to his father.

From what I remember, there seemed to be a divide because some posters felt many went easy on Pettiti's performance because they knew his father would read it. That probably led to increased negativity. Otherwise, I doubt Rob's stay in Dallas would have been so memorable.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not sure exactly what some of you are looking for as qualifications for this list but if you're looking for some obscure player who no one expected much of and ended up drawing some excitement early then completely fell off and was gone there's no better name than Otto Stowe. Unless you're a long-time Cowboys fan who has a great memory you'll have no recollection of Stowe because he came and went in a blink of an eye. He looked like the second coming of Paul Warfield for 7 games during the 1973 season. The Cowboys had picked him up from Miami and he looked as if he came out of the same mold as Paul Warfield with great hands and body control. He caught 23 passes for 389 yards and 6 TD's in only 7 games during the 73 season and got injured. He never saw the field again for the Cowboys but no WR in Cowboys history looked as impressive as Otto Stowe did for the first 7 games of their Cowboys career. He averaged 16.9 yards a catch that season and even had 3 rushes for 28 yards. This is the only Cowboy footage I can find of Stowe during the 73 season he caught 2 TD's in this game.

I remember this game so well because the first half was a NIGHTMARE! Harold Jackson caught 7 passes in this game for 238 yards and 4 TD's and it pretty much all came in the first half. :omg:Charlie Waters got TOASTED! That had to be the worst half of football I had ever seen the Cowboys play but as usual with Staubach at the helm they came back in the second half to make the game very interesting.