Who is winning championships without a Franchise QB?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The issue is that like many words these days 'hate' has been so damn watered down and used in a juvenile manner that it has become laughingly meaningless. Does anyone truly believe that members on here that simply do not agree with re-signing Dak Prescott....a football player no one has ever met hence has no emotional ties to whatsoever.....genuinely 'hates' him?

That is the problem these days.....people being lazy and using words that are not only inappropriate but done so in a manner that immediately renders their ability to debate mute.

So every time someone says they hate a player, any player that they never met, that they really don't hate them? I'll tell you the same thing I told couch and that is how many times have you or anyone said or written "I just hate it when" ? Every time you've said that in some conversation with someone you were being juvenile according to you because you used the word hate. Anyone that say they never said "I hate it when" or "I hate it because" is only fooling themselves because EVERYONE uses that at some times.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
So every time someone says they hate a player, any player that they never met, that they really don't hate them? I'll tell you the same thing I told couch and that is how many times have you or anyone said or written "I just hate it when" ? Every time you've said that in some conversation with someone you were being juvenile according to you because you used the word hate. Anyone that say they never said "I hate it when" or "I hate it because" is only fooling themselves because EVERYONE uses that at some times.

Anyone on any side of the aisle that says they 'hate' a player needs to turn off the television and social media and find themselves a hobby for if they truly 'hate' a football player then they are too emotionally invested in something they have no direct impact on whatsoever.

While I somewhat understand your position, I will admit to hating people I have not met: I HATE people that hurt animals, I HATE people that hurt children, I HATE men who hurt women......so while I may never have met them I HATE their lack of morals and character to act in such a vile manner.

So while I may not agree with the job JJ has done running Dallas into the ground I do not hate him....nor do I hate Dak simply because I do not think Dallas should re-sign him. Which I suppose is why I say I dislike things or say something pisses me off as I reserve HATE for truly HATEFUL things.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Anyone on any side of the aisle that says they 'hate' a player needs to turn off the television and social media and find themselves a hobby for if they truly 'hate' a football player then they are too emotionally invested in something they have no direct impact on whatsoever.

While I somewhat understand your position, I will admit to hating people I have not met: I HATE people that hurt animals, I HATE people that hurt children, I HATE men who hurt women......so while I may never have met them I HATE their lack of morals and character to act in such a vile manner.

So while I may not agree with the job JJ has done running Dallas into the ground I do not hate him....nor do I hate Dak simply because I do not think Dallas should re-sign him. Which I suppose is why I say I dislike things or say something pisses me off as I reserve HATE for truly HATEFUL things.

So you're saying that in some conversation you have had with someone and that person says something and you never said "I hate that when"? I'm not talking about the cruelty to animals, kids or women but just some run of the mill type things and if you're saying you never have then you're only fooling yourself. Just this last week on a news report I heard a minister say he just hated it when people take everything they hear on the news as facts and not look at all sides. So I guess that minister is juvenile for using the word hate?

USArmyVet

Reaction score
So you're saying that in some conversation you have had with someone and that person says something and you never said "I hate that when"? I'm not talking about the cruelty to animals, kids or women but just some run of the mill type things and if you're saying you never have then you're only fooling yourself. Just this last week on a news report I heard a minister say he just hated it when people take everything they hear on the news as facts and not look at all sides. So I guess that minister is juvenile for using the word hate?

Okay well when someone tells me I am fooling myself therein I am lying about when I use the word hate without knowing me then I am done with the conversation but you enjoy the day.

Rayman70

Reaction score
in todays NFL where its a passing league and the way the rules favor the offense, NO TEAM CAN win a Title without a prolific passer. Many dont view Brady as what we would deem a prolific passer, but when he does pass, he puts it where it needs to be. If you don't have a franchise guy, you aint winning in todays NFL. Or at least, you wont win the SB. Look at what Brady did passing to Gronk when he had to in the SB. The days of the trent dilfers of the world winning a SB are gone. Defense wins titles, but a franchise QB is a big part of getting there. Is Dak that? We need to find out.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Who is winning championships with a franchise QB? Brees 1, Rodgers 1, Wilson 1, Rothliesberger 2, Ryan 0, Cousins 0, Marino 0, Tarkenton 0, Kelly 0 and on and on it goes.

The QB is only one significant piece to the puzzle because E Manning has 2 because he played just good enough as McMahon, Dilfer and Johnson did. Their teams won the games and it is also significant to point out the 3 best defenses in the last 25 years only managed to win one ring each. They could not sustain it.

Elite or franchise doesn't really matter with Prescott because he has all the leverage and the agent to apply it and even has the owner saying that publicly. They are going to sign him, it's just a question of the amount.

Then we get all the threads blaming what they're paying Prescott for failure to achieve. Lost will be he came a lot closer to earning 40M last season than the DE, RB, WR or LB did earning their pay.
But he’s the most important piece. Not sure why fans want to dismiss this? Some want to introduce those rare exceptions we’re aware of but that’s not the norm.

And why it’s extremely difficult with mounting odds against winning and contending for championships without a Franchise QB.

It’s why they’re paid ridiculous salaries and so many risk , draft picks and trades can be made in order to land one.

As you stated earlier . You either have a Franchise QB or you’re looking for one.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You're trying to equate the terms of starting QB with franchise QB and they're not the same. There is the starting QB which is what it says, the QB who is the starter. Then there is the franchise QB which refers to a QB that the team thinks they can build a winning team around and be a winning team. Teams don't necessarily think their starting QB is a QB to build around but he could just be the best they have until they can get a franchise QB. The Cowboys believe Prescott is their franchise QB.
Yep

And the title here allows for those fans to argue the “championship “ angle but the bigger argument is it’s very difficult to build a winner and or contender without a Franchise QB.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Franchise QB's are game managers, play executors and field generals.

Elite QBs are that plus they create plays. Except for Brady, he is the ultimate play executor.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well, Wentz helped get them there, he just wasn't there at the end.

He wasn't there in the win or go home games including the biggest game of the year. We always say QB's gotta do it against playoff teams well foles did.

kskboys

Reaction score
But he’s the most important piece. Not sure why fans want to dismiss this? Some want to introduce those rare exceptions we’re aware of but that’s not the norm.

And why it’s extremely difficult with mounting odds against winning and contending for championships without a Franchise QB.

It’s why they’re paid ridiculous salaries and so many risk , draft picks and trades can be made in order to land one.

As you stated earlier . You either have a Franchise QB or you’re looking for one.
True. However, looking at it from another point of view, having a franchise QB does not put you in contention w/o having a team around him. So, overpaying him to the detriment of the rest of the team keeps you from super bowls.

Rayman70

Reaction score
The eagles did.
Iggles QB Foles played out of his mind and is very streaky. They caught lighning in a bottle with Foles and that is not normally how its done. We havn't seen it since.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Well, Wentz helped get them there, he just wasn't there at the end.
Wentz was new on the scene and caught teams off guard. The next year after they had film on him at the NFL level..he came back down to Earth and has never recovered his 2016 rookie magic.I think its mental with him.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
True. However, looking at it from another point of view, having a franchise QB does not put you in contention w/o having a team around him. So, overpaying him to the detriment of the rest of the team keeps you from super bowls.
True and I agree but that’s placing Super Bowls as initial or only objective.

I’d argue that being a competitive, relative , consistent contender is basic or first priority and objective.

Only then can you begin trying to maneuver enough supporting cast to support your Franchise QB.

And why it’s “ the” most important piece.If you’re able to keep from over paying then it helps of course but in the end you can’t move forward building around until you have. It’s a catch 22.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But there’s a reason why it’s the highest paid and so much effort and risk in landing a Franchise QB. It’s also why it’s critical the more Elite your franchise QB the easier or less expensive it is to build around them.

Every Franchise begins with finding their Franchise QB. It’s the cornerstone for building a team.

And the better your QB the easier it is to build around them. At some point their salary in cap era can limit supporting cast but in the end it’s still generally a better path than beginning to look for another Franchise QB .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
LeBron is a Blowhard..IN FACT, they both are. They win, so it gets forgiven when you win. I would hate to be there family members..wow...
They both represent and great spokespersons for the NBA and the NCAA respectively.

Anyone not respecting them and what they’ve done must not respect their leagues. I’d be more apt to believe the one speaking out against their achievements is the one I’d hate to be a family member of.