Who is winning championships without a Franchise QB?

IslandCowboy

Reaction score
Just off the top of my head here are two QBs in the past 20 years that were not great and won super bowls - Eli Manning and Joe Flacco.

Jimmy G also almost won a superbowl if it wasn't for some crazy flukes. Jared Goff also could've won a superbowl if it wasn't for a pretty amazing showing by the Pat's defense.

It is certainly possible to win a superbowl without a great franchise quarterback you just need an elite defense. It obviously helps a lot if you have an elite franchise quarterback, but it's not a requirement.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Any QB that wins the job on his team is the Franchise QB. Goff was the franchise QB for the Rams until he wasn't and now Stafford is. Questionable at this point if Goff is the Lions franchise QB or if Hurts is for the Eagles or Darnold for the Jets.

There is no doubt that Prescott is the franchise QB for the Cowboys and gives this team the best chance this upcoming season. Dalton would be the franchise QB until a rookie takes over if they go that route but the offense will not be as effective.

The choice is get the most out of this offense with Prescott on a tag or contract this season or begin a new era with a new franchise QB. Prescott makes this a better team but he does not make it a true contender.

Those years between the franchise QBs Aikman and Romo are a shining example of a franchise in search of the franchise QB. To think it could not return to that swinging door is a large assumption.

You have to consider this brain trust's history with that position and ask yourself "do you trust them to find one even as good as Prescott"?

For that reason, I've always considered Dak better than he really is because I've seen bad and this team could have had Lynch or Cook. With the Cowboys, you can't get into vacuum thinking about that position, you have to consider everything.

You're trying to equate the terms of starting QB with franchise QB and they're not the same. There is the starting QB which is what it says, the QB who is the starter. Then there is the franchise QB which refers to a QB that the team thinks they can build a winning team around and be a winning team. Teams don't necessarily think their starting QB is a QB to build around but he could just be the best they have until they can get a franchise QB. The Cowboys believe Prescott is their franchise QB.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Just off the top of my head here are two QBs in the past 20 years that were not great and won super bowls - Eli Manning and Joe Flacco.

Jimmy G also almost won a superbowl if it wasn't for some crazy flukes. Jared Goff also could've won a superbowl if it wasn't for a pretty amazing showing by the Pat's defense.

It is certainly possible to win a superbowl without a great franchise quarterback you just need an elite defense. It obviously helps a lot if you have an elite franchise quarterback, but it's not a requirement.

You forgot Dilfer but even if we say that all of yours and mine choices of meh QB's that' WON a Super Bowl, that's only 3 out of 59 Super Bowls or roughly 5% and like you said it is possible but VERY unlikely that it happens.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

I agree. My main issue is that this team has shown time and time again that they are not good at building a very good defense, much less an elite one.
No matter the resources.

DFWJC

Reaction score
If we are calling a "franchise QB" any player better than the average NFL starter....so top 15 in the league ....then yes, it's rare to win it all without at least one of those guys.
And preferably you'd have someone even better, of course.

Assume Dak at the very least meets the first criteria.

It always circles back to the same question

Do you pay Dak as if he is a top 2-3 QB in the whole league?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
It's means your talking out of your backside. Either that or you have an extremely narrow criteria for a franchise QB. They don't all win championships. You want to crap on Dan Marino, Warren Moon, Jim Kelly, Randal Cunningham and the other 3 dozen or so great QBs that couldn't get it done?

We aren't talking about Romo for HOF here, but to say he didn't qualify as a franchise QB is asinine.

Romo could come out the booth today and play better than The Dak today.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
The reference to disparaging comments was directed at you it was directed at the person I replied to that you stuck your nose in to play thought police. 5star made a comment about what Prescott fan say and I then replied that what 5star said sounds just like what Prescott haters say and then you stuck your nose in playing thought police. Here's a hint for you. You're really not the thought police and you're not a mod so stop pretending you are.

You are such a hater!

(do I fit in with the dak lover crowd now...I used the right word, right?)

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You are such a hater!

(do I fit in with the dak lover crowd now...I used the right word, right?)

Obviously you haven't read many of my comments because if you did you would have seen that I've been supporting Prescott. So no you didn't use the right word.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Obviously you haven't read many of my comments because if you did you would have seen that I've been supporting Prescott. So no you didn't use the right word.

You misunderstood my post. I know you support The Dak, and you fans of his use the term "hater" if others don't like the bum. So, I used the word "hater" so I could be friends with the The Dak crowd that always uses that juvenile word.

(damn, I feel dirty even wanting to fit in with the The Dak crowd).

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Simple to me, if a team has a QB and is not looking for another, that is their franchise QB. Teams that are in franchise QB limbo right now are JAX, NYJ, SF and PHL.

At one time, LAR and PHL thought they had their franchise QB's and acted upon that belief.

The Cowboys thought they had their franchise until an injury sidelined him and another stepped in. Then they doubled down when the former QB1 wanted to compete for the job and decided Prescott was the new and future franchise QB.

That hasn't changed. I see 0 apprehension that Prescott is their franchise QB and they just need to stop trying to milk the media coverage, bite the bullet and do the deal. If that's 3 X 41.5M with 100M guaranteed, then that the price to play because none of these rookie QB's will max this offense as well as Prescott will. They might do OK but he will at least max out the offense.

I was wrong, I thought the media would tire of the Dak Saga but Booger is milking this for all he can get. If they don't get this done, we'll see an entire 60 Minutes with Prescott's brother.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You misunderstood my post. I know you support The Dak, and you fans of his use the term "hater" if others don't like the bum. So, I used the word "hater" so I could be friends with the The Dak crowd that always uses that juvenile word.

Do they all drink hard seltzers and like saying avocado toast a lot?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

If you feel dirty and refer to Prescott as the bum than my guess is you really aren't a Prescott fan and sound more like a hater. Hater isn't a juvenile word, it's a word that reflects what someone says that is the opposite of what a fan says or who is obviously someone who dislikes Prescott. Whats another word for dislikes, hate.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you feel dirty and refer to Prescott as the bum than my guess is you really aren't a Prescott fan and sound more like a hater. Hater isn't a juvenile word, it's a word that reflects what someone says that is the opposite of what a fan says or who is obviously someone who dislikes Prescott. Whats another word for dislikes, hate.
Completely disagree with that, dislike and hate are not synonymous. Hate gets thrown around too easily and is a social media word.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score

Of course I'm not a The Dak fan. Did you just now figure that out. If you don't like eating liver, do I call you a hater? You aren't drinking this early again, are you?

USArmyVet

Reaction score

The issue is that like many words these days 'hate' has been so damn watered down and used in a juvenile manner that it has become laughingly meaningless. Does anyone truly believe that members on here that simply do not agree with re-signing Dak Prescott....a football player no one has ever met hence has no emotional ties to whatsoever.....genuinely 'hates' him?

That is the problem these days.....people being lazy and using words that are not only inappropriate but done so in a manner that immediately renders their ability to debate mute.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Completely disagree with that, dislike and hate are not synonymous. Hate gets thrown around too easily and is a social media word.

Not true. How many times have you or anyone have said or written "I just hate it when" when in actuality according to you it should be "I just dislike it when". The word hate is used far more in everyday conversations that in the media.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Of course I'm not a The Dak fan. Did you just now figure that out. If you don't like eating liver, do I call you a hater? You aren't drinking this early again, are you?

Then you just proved what I originally said that what you say about Prescott fans sound just like what Prescott haters say. CASE CLOSED!