Who is your biggest surprise player this year?

GORICO

Reaction score
For me, Noah Brown has been a big surprise. I expected Tolbert to slide into the role of temporary starter until Gallup returned, and be the 3rd receiver going forward. But Noah Brown has definitely earned time on the field for more than just special teams and blocking.

that is solid pick Noah Brown....i might also add Tyler Smith at LT....seamless replacement but maybe even better and so young......i want to keep Peter at LG as we play Rams against Aaron Donald...still will

have to double or chip but can be done

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
How Cooper Rush’s name isn’t coming up in every post is beyond me. He’s been hands-down the biggest surprise player. He didn’t look very good at all in preseason. When he was waived some said good riddance and now he’s 3-0 as the starter this season and the toast of Cowboys Nation. Lol Second would be Noah Brown.

GORICO

Reaction score
Outside of Cooper Rush, it's Noah Brown, although the more I looked at his tape from college and studied his story, that he declared for the draft as a freshman, I'm not really all that surprised. He's only 26.

New player, Doran Bland.

Injured player will be Michael Gallup.

2Run----did not see Gallup on injury report.....maybe you heard somethng i did not?....i love Bland by the way....so young but so so instinctual

Pass2Run

Reaction score
that is solid pick Noah Brown....i might also add Tyler Smith at LT....seamless replacement but maybe even better and so young......i want to keep Peter at LG as we play Rams against Aaron Donald...still will

have to double or chip but can be done

I'm hoping Tyron Smith really can come back. If he comes back and is just 80 percent of what he was before, and plays RT or something, then that would give us a chance to make a run. Not sure where he fits in the whole deal, but I like the way our team is shaping up.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
2Run----did not see Gallup on injury report.....maybe you heard somethng i did not?....i love Bland by the way....so young but so so instinctual

Nah, I'm just talking about him being injured from the off-season and coming back against the WFTs. He's healthy, as far as I know.

GORICO

Reaction score
Wilson - We appear to have finally found a Safety.

Rush- wow. Nobody saw 3-0 coming.

Tyler Smith- most figured it would be the great collapse on left side of OL after Tyron went down .

Not necessarily in that order .

mr Diehard----- i believe we have best scouts when it comes to locating O lineman....we have hit on so many....lets not count Chaz Green 3rd rd pick.....oops

GORICO

Reaction score
Wilson - We appear to have finally found a Safety.

Rush- wow. Nobody saw 3-0 coming.

Tyler Smith- most figured it would be the great collapse on left side of OL after Tyron went down .

Not necessarily in that order .

i believe Tyron Smith will be happy to be the best 3rd or backup tackle in NFL.....he is so settled in Dallas area....finish out Hall of fame career

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dak. Honestly thought he'd get out of the funk he ended the year in last year and get off to a good start. Injury aside, he was worse. That was a sad surprise.

Rush has been another huge surprise obviously. Shocking to see a qb with his skillset command the offense as effortlessly as he has.

Last edited:

Jumbo075

Reaction score
How Cooper Rush’s name isn’t coming up in every post is beyond me. He’s been hands-down the biggest surprise player. He didn’t look very good at all in preseason. When he was waived some said good riddance and now he’s 3-0 as the starter this season and the toast of Cowboys Nation. Lol Second would be Noah Brown.

The key word is Surprise. I’m not really that surprised that a 5 year veteran backup has played well - not great - but well. Perhaps it comes from watching Danny White and Tony Romo grow into starters gave me confidence that a guy who can hang around that long might have some ability. Plus the Vikings game showed he could get it done. So some of us just are not as SURPRISED as others

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
For me, Noah Brown has been a big surprise. I expected Tolbert to slide into the role of temporary starter until Gallup returned, and be the 3rd receiver going forward. But Noah Brown has definitely earned time on the field for more than just special teams and blocking.

Noah Brown is a great one, but its Gotta be Rush. Complete shock we have won 3 in a row with him. Easy schedule and shut down defense or not.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The key word is Surprise. I’m not really that surprised that a 5 year veteran backup has played well - not great - but well. Perhaps it comes from watching Danny White and Tony Romo grow into starters gave me confidence that a guy who can hang around that long might have some ability. Plus the Vikings game showed he could get it done. So some of us just are not as SURPRISED as others

It’s very surprising to see a QB that’s been a career backup and was even cut a few years ago string together three straight wins this season. Rush looked borderline terrible in preseason and was waved. No one would’ve ever imagined we would be sitting here 3-1 with him especially after the opening season loss to Tampa with Dak. I’m more shocked than surprised at where we’re sitting with him right now. Feel free to provide some posts on what you were saying when he first took over. Would like to see if you showed any confidence with him prior to his first start this season against Cincinnati.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
It’s very surprising to see a QB that’s been a career backup and was even cut a few years ago string together three straight wins this season. Rush looked borderline terrible in preseason and was waved. No one would’ve ever imagined we would be sitting here 3-1 with him especially after the opening season loss to Tampa with Dak. I’m more shocked than surprised at where we’re sitting with him right now. Feel free to provide some posts on what you were saying when he first took over. Would like to see if you showed any confidence with him prior to his first start this season against Cincinnati.

So, you are calling me a liar. Whatever dude. Noah Brown was just simply a bigger surprise to me - for the reasons I outlined in my original post.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So, you are calling me a liar. Whatever dude. Noah Brown was just simply a bigger surprise to me - for the reasons I outlined in my original post.

I never called you a liar but it’s easy to come on here and say you’re not surprised by Cooper Rush because he’s a five year veteran. Noah Brown is also a five year veteran who’s had plenty of opportunities as a receiver over the years. Rush had only one career start and that was last season with a very talented offense. He didn’t play well in the preseason and the offense he took over this season looked bad in the opener against Tampa with our starting QB. All I asked you is if you have posts on the board showing confidence in Rush prior to his first start this season against Cincinnati. I don’t remember anyone showing confidence in him going into that game. Practically everyone who was keeping it real thought Cincinnati would win. It’s easy for any fan to say after the fact that they’re not surprised by the success we’ve had with Cooper Rush, especially considering how bad he looked in preseason. Say what you will but no one saw this coming.

plymkr

Reaction score
For me it's Rush. When we played as bad as we did in week 1 and then Dak got hurt and he's replaced by a guy that was cut a week before. I thought we were done. Not trying to make this an agenda post, it's just my biggest surprise is a guy we cut has run the offense well enough to get us to 3-1.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm going to add a guy nobody is talking about b/c of all the drama on the other side of the line. Terrence Steele is quietly having a pro bowl caliber season so far and is really emerging as an elite pass protector......... only 2 guys in the league have allowed fewer Qb pressures. .

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Biggest surprise this year is how much “Next man up” is working.

Starting QB, always a chance to be a season killer. Remember all the Romo injury years and the post-Aikman years? 3-0 baby!

WR #2 and #3 down. No problem, Noah Brown to the freaking rescue.

Tyron Smith, you may remember some of the years and/or games we didn’t have him… hey, no problem, a rookie from a small school who didn’t even prepare for it at training camp not giving us any bad memories.

Our new franchised TE down, and boom, 2 rookies fill the gap and actually look better together.

Defensive captain and surprise player of last year goes down, No problem.. Wilson having a Pro Bowl year.

Blanda for Lewis. Farniok/Peters for McGovern. The list will go on…..

I hear coaches say it all the time but I rarely see the money where the mouth is on ‘next man up.’

CWR

Reaction score
Biggest surprise this year is how much “Next man up” is working.

Starting QB, always a chance to be a season killer. Remember all the Romo injury years and the post-Aikman years? 3-0 baby!

WR #2 and #3 down. No problem, Noah Brown to the freaking rescue.

Tyron Smith, you may remember some of the years and/or games we didn’t have him… hey, no problem, a rookie from a small school who didn’t even prepare for it at training camp not giving us any bad memories.

Our new franchised TE down, and boom, 2 rookies fill the gap and actually look better together.

Defensive captain and surprise player of last year goes down, No problem.. Wilson having a Pro Bowl year.

Blanda for Lewis. Farniok/Peters for McGovern. The list will go on…..

I hear coaches say it all the time but I rarely see the money where the mouth is on ‘next man up.’

This is to help make up for "next man up" being a complete failure in the JG era.