Twitter: Who made you fall in love with football?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
For me it was 7th and 8th grade.

The A-team. Was a 4a district at the time.

We won district two years in a row.

Then, our high school turned 5a my freshman year, and competition was a lot tougher in high school. We still played, and it was still fun. I just remember I didn't like being mediocre and losing so much after being a winner. But that's how it was for me. I just liked it a little less because my team wasn't as dominant.

I played pop warner growing up. That was fun, and I don't remember losing. I'm sure we lost here and there. But we were all good athletes.

Before that, I played flag football. And we lost one game, then won state, never lost again.

I never played in college.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My 3 older brothers. Something sports was always going on around our house and with our friends.
Football, Basketball, Baseball. Watching and / or playing, year round.

But football was always #1 to me since the ice bowl especially. And watching Ohio State Buckeyes as well.
Dallas was on TV just about every week in Ohio, so exposure to them as well as the Bengals was it.
Bengals on the early game, Cowboys on the late game. Plus all the MNF games.

coult44

Reaction score
Three names.......Staubach, Calvin Hill, and Duane Thomas. Believe it not, didn't pay much attention to defensive players until LT

On a NFL level. Tony Dorset, Walter Peyton, Ronnie Lott, and the NFL hardest hits VHS tapes. Then the Cowboys of the early 90’s.

On a personal level. The local high school team were some of the best football influences ever and made me want to be good. They gave me a nickname when I was 7 at a week long football camp and took me under there wing. 40 years later if we talk on FB they still refer to me as “Rock”. I had the name long before Duane Rock Johnson.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Same here! After that game, I was hooked for life!

There was a carnival that came to town every Super Bowl weekend. My dad was the only one who drove in the family so we could only go on Sunday. We went every year immediately after the Super Bowl. My dad took us the previous year after the Cowboys lost to the Colts in Super Bowl V but was miserable. He told us the only way we were going to the carnival this time was if the Cowboys beat Miami in the Super Bowl. That’s the only reason I watched the game. I was pulling for the Cowboys with every ounce of fiber in my body. When they won I was hooked! The 1972 season was my first full season as a Cowboys fan.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
1998, some American teachers were playing touch football while in Taiwan. I didn't play, but watched them. I later on also worked as an English/Mandarin interpreter for them.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
There was a carnival that came to town every Super Bowl weekend. My dad was the only one who drove in the family so we could only go on Sunday. We went every year immediately after the Super Bowl. My dad took us the previous year after the Cowboys lost to the Colts in Super Bowl V but was miserable. He told us the only way we were going to the carnival this time was if the Cowboys beat Miami in the Super Bowl. That’s the only reason I watched the game. I was pulling for the Cowboys with every ounce of fiber in my body. When they won I was hooked! The 1972 season was my first full season as a Cowboys fan.
That was the last game the Miami Dolphins lost for over a year. Remember the following year they had that perfect season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That was the last game the Miami Dolphins lost for over a year. Remember the following year they had that perfect season.

We caught them just in time. The next time we played them was two years later and they beat the Cowboys at Texas Stadium on Thanksgiving 14-7. Miami went on to win their second consecutive Super Bowl that season.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We caught them just in time. The next time we played them was two years later and they beat the Cowboys at Texas Stadium on Thanksgiving 14-7. Miami went on to win their second consecutive Super Bowl that season.
Yup! I remember it. How time flies!

plasticman

Reaction score
It wasn't a person, it was the entire concept of the game.

I was born in Scotland and lived in Europe my first 12 years. When we came to the U.S. I didn't know how to play the game, I didn't know how to play any American games. Needless to say, I had a very awkward time in junior high school.

Anyway, when I first saw American football on TV I was really intrigued. This was a game with very militaristic concepts and the players war uniforms that resembled, in some ways, a knight. That is to say, they wore protective outfits including a helmets. In the game. you had a guy in charge, the quarterback was obviously the leader. he issued instructions to his men, a certain strategy for advancing his little army closer to the goal, both physically and pointwise.

I was very impressed with the fact that each player had a specialized role. Some would catch the ball, some would hold the ball and attempt to power past their opponent. I was especially impressed with those players that sacrificed themselves in order for their teammate to be successful..

I found the game to be exciting and brutal. I mean, in order for a play to stop, one team had to grab the other team's guy with the ball and throw him to the ground. Wearing "armor" meant they could use their body as a shield, a ramming device, or even a projectile in order to achieve their team goal. I found this to be fascinating.

Truck

Reaction score
Written. He was the reason I really started following the Cowboys a lot more seriously about 12 or 13. Wittis a Cowboys legend.