Who really likes the salad?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Yeah, actually what is Catalina dressing? Not sure I've had that one.
Not sure. I prefer Thousand Island dressing which I believe is basically Russian dressing mixed with relish.

You know thinking about this. I was just called a bigot by someone on this board. Maybe it's my enjoyment of Thousand Island dressing is the cause of that confusion. You know, some people refer to Thousand Island dressing as White Trash Dressing. lol.

McDonalds must be bigots since they use it on their Big Macs. :D

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Not sure. I prefer Thousand Island dressing which I believe is basically Russian dressing mixed with relish.

You know thinking about this. I was just called a bigot by someone on this board. Maybe it's my enjoyment of Thousand Island dressing is the cause of that confusion. You know, some people refer to Thousand Island dressing as White Trash Dressing. lol.

Own it you bigot.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Catalina, French and Russian are all similar. When I was growing up, our House salad dressing was called 1890 and it was a French type dressing. Loved it, especially on sliced tomatoes with lost of pepper.

Back in the day, we only had iceberg lettuce and maybe leaf, if we were lucky. The exotic lettuces weren't in existence then. And before any of you wise guys checks in, yes, back in the day our salads accompanied Triceratops Tri Tip.

Got into this discussion with a bud just last week of what is available now vs what was around when we were kids. We decided the good old days were BS. Just the available vegetables and cuts of meat and seafood vs then makes this the winner, hands down.

I forgot some salads, Crab and Shrimp Louis, Shrimp Remoulade, West Indies Salad and Lobster Pasta.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Holy Nothing Else To Do With His life, Sam, he's tracking you. Nothing left to do but change your moniker to Archie Bunker.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Well, I'ma gonna tell ya! I shall consume that rabbit food table fare outta' the bottom of one of yer' yon fair ol' ladies once fashionable worn out handbags/ purse. ( Durn tootin' too! ) W/ perfume scented / lipstick stained crutons to boot)

* Man, about 3 days ago,the AZ. summer heat had done took up full residence in my A.O. ,& I was feeling like 3 day dead medium sized roadkill n life, till I dropped into the supermarket & spent $40 bucks on nothing but fresh vegetables and mostly fruit, that's all I've been eating for the last three days and lemme' tell ya' today's about the best I've felt in the last fistful or so of years( that I ,,,er,,, can soberly recall):starspin:

o_O:lmao:o_O

I don't go out of my way to eat a salad but sometimes I find myself REALLY wanting a salad. I figure that's just my body's check engine light going off and telling me to eat some damn vegetables.

aria

Reaction score
Dinner! I put a normal size bowl next to it for scale. Admittedly, I tapped out with a few bites left tonight. 3/4ths a bag of croutons, 2 whole eggs, a few egg whites, 2 shredded chicken breasts, carrots, bell pepper, arugula, cuc’s... you get it. Unfortunately I’ll be hungry in about an hour and will be throwing down on a couple lbs of cherries while watching Netflix.

yixBa0m.jpg

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Dinner! I put a normal size bowl next to it for scale. Admittedly, I tapped out with a few bites left tonight. 3/4ths a bag of croutons, 2 whole eggs, a few egg whites, 2 shredded chicken breasts, carrots, bell pepper, arugula, cuc’s... you get it. Unfortunately I’ll be hungry in about an hour and will be throwing down on a couple lbs of cherries while watching Netflix.

yixBa0m.jpg
That 2lb of Cherry's done lured me back into the illuminated circle of "fruitful' discourse there, BROUGHAM'S:laugh:

* As that's the first thing I started scarfing down on ( &lip spit launching Cherry pits @ dang ner' Benjamin .177cal. pump up pellet air rifle velocities,,,o_O)
Though, it took me 2 days to knock off that $7.50 bag o' CHERRY'S ( for I am well versed in the crisis management of an unscheduled impending mudslide from the backside due to the overindulgence can sprout forth @ 2a.m.)

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That 2lb of Cherry's done lured me back into the illuminated circle of "fruitful' discourse there, BROUGHAM'S:laugh:

* As that's the first thing I started scarfing down on ( &lip spit launching Cherry pits @ dang ner' Benjamin .177cal. pump up pellet air rifle velocities,,,o_O)
Though, it took me 2 days to knock off that $7.50 bag o' CHERRY'S ( for I am well versed in the crisis management of an unscheduled impending mudslide from the backside due to the overindulgence can sprout forth @ 2a.m.)
Melon, you were born too late. You could have been as famous as Joe Rochefort, the Code Breaker of Midway. The Japanese navy would have been arguing over the real meaning of your messages and we'd have kicked their butts a lot earlier.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just had a wonderful meal prepared for me as usual. Kind of a pasta carbonara thing. But who really likes the salad? I know I should eat it but it's rabbit food. I'm a carnivore by nature. I'm gonna guess this is the 35th thread of this nature over the years. We are Cowboy fans after all.
Never been a salad guy. Not a fan of lettuce and onions. Simply looking at the insides of freshly sliced tomatoes makes me nauseous. I love ketchup and stewed tomatoes. Fresh tomatoes? Yuck.

I prefer either cole slaw or carrot raisin salad, which is not technically 'salad' in my book.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Had one for dinner last night. Try this on one.

Marinate flank steak in olive oil, red wine vinegar, touch of balsamic and a handful of peeled and smashed garlic cloves. Let that go for at least 12 hours and then take the steak out and put on a rack in the fridge to dry out so it will char better. Cover liberally with fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt. Grill that medium rare and let sit while you grill the salad.

Grill romaine cut in half lengthwise, iceberg wedge, radicchio quartered and cocktail tomatoes. Here's the trick, if you let the lettuces sit after grilling, they will lose their crunch so you need to get everything cut as it comes off the grill. Slice the steak thinly on a bias and cut into bite sized pieces and top the salad with that and blue cheese bites and sourdough croutons. Dress the salad and dig in.

The flavor complexity of grilled vegetables and fruits applies to lettuces as well but the trick is in the timing and keeping the crispness of the inner leaves. There is one drawback, this is so good that just a cold salad from the fridge seems flat.

I also recommend all y'all make your own dressings, there are some incredible infused olive oils and vinegars out there that make excellent dressings. For that salad, my favorite is garlic olive oil, splash of balsamic, cabernet vinegar from O and raspberry vinegar.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Funny, I thought I saw a lock icon on this thread because there was one right below it. I was dying to see the salad comment that would have closed this thread.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Never been a salad guy. Not a fan of lettuce and onions. Simply looking at the insides of freshly sliced tomatoes makes me nauseous. I love ketchup and stewed tomatoes. Fresh tomatoes? Yuck.

I prefer either cole slaw or carrot raisin salad, which is not technically 'salad' in my book.

My God, coleslaw?

That's where I draw the line. I imagine the invention of cole slaw occurred when some kitchen worker tried to send too much down the garbage disposal. The drain line clogged and up from the disposal came what is now referred to as coleslaw. Really, I draw the line at mayonnaise. Whoever started mixing that with everything should be scratched from the history books.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My God, coleslaw?

That's where I draw the line. I imagine the invention of cole slaw occurred when some kitchen worker tried to send too much down the garbage disposal. The drain line clogged and up from the disposal came what is now referred to as coleslaw. Really, I draw the line at mayonnaise. Whoever started mixing that with everything should be scratched from the history books.
I will add something to that which will make my love for coleslaw seem even more stupid. I hate mayonnaise with anything EXCEPT coleslaw! I gag simply looking hard at a mayonnaise jar but I will eat coleslaw as if it were my last meal.

Yeah. I'm nutty. :laugh: