Who retires first - Brady, Brees, Manning, Roethlisberger, Rivers?

Who retires first?

• Tom Brady

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Drew Brees

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eli Manning

Votes: 28 59.6%
  • Ben Roethlisberger

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • Philip Rivers

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
As the first generation of NFL superstars of this century is now on its last leg of remaining active NFL players, who among them will be the first to retire?

Brady?
Brees?
Eli Manning?
Roethlisberger?
Philip Rivers?

This is an interesting question in many ways. By the end of this season, if each walked away from the game, they're all bona-fide HOFers, each with a unique story and records to their own.

By the end of 2018, Drew Brees will arguably become the NFL's greatest QB in history statistically, with Tom Brady currently ~4,000 yards behind him (essentially one season). In all liklihood, the next time he suits up he wall pass both Brett Favre and Peyton Manning to become the all-time leading passer. (http://www.espn.com/nfl/history/leaders/_/stat/passyards)

Eli Manning may never get out of the shadow of his older brother, but he currently sits as the #6 all-time NFL passer by yards, followed by Roethlisbeger at #7 and Rivers at #8. All of them are within 1,500 yards of each other.

Rivers easily can go down as this generation of stars Dan Marino, walking away without a ring.

The NFL has a true lack of megastars that have emerged in to replace these 5 men, and time will tell if in the era of "full-disclosure" due to social media, if there will ever be a star at the level of Tom Brady again.

Last edited:

Bigdog

Reaction score
Big Ben
Manning
Rivers
Brees
Brady
I believe in this order. Big Ben and Eli might switch.

C42

Reaction score
If Eli wasn't so durable I’d put him before Ben, but the guy has never been hurt. The past two offseasons I have been expecting Ben to retire, so I’ll go with him.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
If Eli wasn't so durable I’d put him before Ben, but the guy has never been hurt. The past two offseasons I have been expecting Ben to retire, so I’ll go with him.
Right-on! ,,,ya,I picked the Pittsburgler to hang it up first also.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
As the first generation of NFL superstars of this century is now on its last leg of remaining active NFL players, who
Eli Manning may never get out of the shadow of his older brother, but he currently sits as the #6 all-time NFL passer by yards, followed by Roethlisbeger at #7 and Rivers at #8. All of them are within 1,500 yards of each other.

Rivers easily can go down as this generation of stars Dan Marino, walking away without a ring.

The NFL has a true lack of megastars that have emerged in to replace these 5 men, and time will tell if in the era of "full-disclosure" due to social media, if there will ever be a star at the level of Tom Brady again.
He doesn't have to, he had two rings first.:muttley:

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I went Rivers. He seems the most carefree of all the qbs, he could just say he wants to do something else at any point.

ksadler1

Reaction score
I picked Manning but l'd flip a coin between him and Roth...

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Surprising that the two oldest Brees and Brady are viewed as the least likely to retire.

kskboys

Reaction score
Brady.

At some point, he's simply going to have a sharp decline.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Brady.

At some point, he's simply going to have a sharp decline.
I wonder if it comes down to him wanting to break the records Brees is shattering. He's lagging about a season behind, but Brees is 2 years younger.

kskboys

Reaction score
I wonder if it comes down to him wanting to break the records Brees is shattering. He's lagging about a season behind, but Brees is 2 years younger.
Brady is extremely lucky to be playing in this time, and to have a top 10 all time HC. He's been kept protected by both his OL and by the rules. If Brady had played in the 70's/80's, he'd have been done by age 33.

Can you imagine how long Aikman would play in today's league?

Blake

Reaction score
They should all conspire to go out at once, then host a retirement party at Chucky Cheese . Now, that would be novel.

funkytown

Reaction score
Hopefully the Giants let Eli play forever.

He should to be the 1st one to go from this group. But put me down for the surprise. Brees.