Who Takes the Blame for Bringing in Noodle-Arm Cassel?

Thorsson

Reaction score
After watching Matt Cassel lose four games with Dez Bryant in the lineup, an 80-yard kickoff return, and decent rushing performances by McFadden against a mediocre opposition, all I can ask is this: Who is going to take the blame for bringing in Cassel, a QB with a noodle arm?

Weeden blows away Cassel in every aspect of the game except maybe in mobility. Yes, Weeden did not play well against the Patriots, but they're the BEST team in the NFL!

It's my guess that Jerry Jones, and not JG, is at fault here for bringing in a guy that can't even score a TD against one of the worst teams in the league.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
After watching Matt Cassel lose four games with Dez Bryant in the lineup, an 80-yard kickoff return, and decent rushing performances by McFadden against a mediocre opposition, all I can ask is this: Who is going to take the blame for bringing in Cassel, a QB with a noodle arm?

Weeden blows away Cassel in every aspect of the game except maybe in mobility. Yes, Weeden did not play well against the Patriots, but they're the BEST team in the NFL!

It's my guess that Jerry Jones, and not JG, is at fault here for bringing in a guy that can't even score a TD against one of the worst teams in the league.

You do.

misc-burn_him.jpg

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score

let me guess.

you lost a bet and the loser had to sell weeden back to the cowboys?

Thorsson

Reaction score
Right now, Cassel couldn't win the starting job at Ohio State! I can't believe he couldn't even get the Cowboys into the end zone against Tampa Bay!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It was a group decision. That is what you keep hearing. Then you hear Garrett say he wanted him when he was the QB coach in Miami.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
do we all realize how poor the QB play in the NFL is right now?
who, exactly, did you want to go and get?
Should we have acquired Tom Brady to be our backup? Stupid Jerry!!!!

Nexx

Reaction score
under the circumstance im not sure they a lot of choices. i applaud the front office for at least going out to get someone. cassel did have the team in position to win a few of the games but ultimately they defense could hold the leads.

links18

Reaction score
:hammer:
the blame should be placed on the entire front office for having an entire offseason with Brandon Weeden and Vaughn(?) as the only backups on the roster of a team expected to contend for a SB.

This right here.

pancakeman

Reaction score
I don't really get the noodle arm thing. He threw quite a few good looking passes (including a couple that were dropped) vs the Bucs. My bigger complaint about him lately is that he has trouble seeing the whole field and getting rid of the ball. He's far from perfect, of course, but a) some starters in this league suck, and b) he gives us a better chance than Weeden to win. Am I the only one that still thinks that?

RS12

Reaction score
Who Takes the Blame for Bringing in Noodle-Arm Cassel?

With any luck we have seen the last of both Weeden and Cassel.

AlterEgo

Reaction score
Does anyone remember when Kitna played? Did it appear that he just followed the system or did he improvise? I can't remember, but I'm beginning to think this entire offense and team thrives on Romo being a magician and getting huge chucks of yardage on broken plays that demoralize the other team and lift up the Cowboys. Now if Kitna seemed to just follow the system, then I'm wrong.

khiladi

Reaction score
Does anyone remember when Kitna played? Did it appear that he just followed the system or did he improvise? I can't remember, but I'm beginning to think this entire offense and team thrives on Romo being a magician and getting huge chucks of yardage on broken plays that demoralize the other team and lift up the Cowboys. Now if Kitna seemed to just follow the system, then I'm wrong.

Dallas played more 2 TE sets and tried running more. Crayton and Holliday for example, claim Garrett sabotaged Wade, because the play-calling dramatically changed.

Kitna though had more INTs than TDs and won against crappy teams. But when throwing, if I remember, he was the typical gun-slinger, improviser.

That being said, the defense actually generated close to 30 TOs in the last 8 games, after Jerry went off and the team was playing for their jobs and had nothing to lose, so they could be more aggressive.

It wasn't the offense that was winning them games, it was the defense and nothing left to play for.

movaughn88

Reaction score
the blame should be placed on the entire front office for having an entire offseason with Brandon Weeden and Vaughn(?) as the only backups on the roster of a team expected to contend for a SB.

Everyone keeps saying this, I have not heard any realistic alternatives to who we should have had as a backup. Honestly, who would you have signed/traded for this offseason, before camp started so they would be ready to go?

Tim Tebow? John Skelton? Trade for Matt Barkley right before the season? Do you think Brett Hundley or Bryce Petty could have stepped right in Week 3?

The QB position is a dumpster fire in the NFL right now.

AlterEgo

Reaction score
He had more INTs than TDs and won against crappy teams. That being said, the defense actually generated close to 30 TOs in the last 8 games, after Jerry went off and the team was playing for their jobs and had nothing to lose, so they could be more aggressive.

Well if that's the case, it one more item that supports my theory. That scares me.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
under the circumstance im not sure they a lot of choices. i applaud the front office for at least going out to get someone. cassel did have the team in position to win a few of the games but ultimately they defense could hold the leads.

I just thought it was odd that they showed an immediate lack of faith in Weeden by trading for Cassel when they did.