Who Takes the Blame for Bringing in Noodle-Arm Cassel?

Dodger12

Reaction score
After watching Matt Cassel lose four games with Dez Bryant in the lineup, an 80-yard kickoff return, and decent rushing performances by McFadden against a mediocre opposition, all I can ask is this: Who is going to take the blame for bringing in Cassel, a QB with a noodle arm?

Weeden blows away Cassel in every aspect of the game except maybe in mobility. Yes, Weeden did not play well against the Patriots, but they're the BEST team in the NFL!

It's my guess that Jerry Jones, and not JG, is at fault here for bringing in a guy that can't even score a TD against one of the worst teams in the league.

It depends on who worked him out and thought he had the tools to succeed. But the real question is who takes the blame for Weeden? Our inability to identify and/or develop personnel is inexcusable.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
why weeden everyone knows that he was a bust. Of course there are not many backups to get.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't really get the noodle arm thing. He threw quite a few good looking passes (including a couple that were dropped) vs the Bucs. My bigger complaint about him lately is that he has trouble seeing the whole field and getting rid of the ball. He's far from perfect, of course, but a) some starters in this league suck, and b) he gives us a better chance than Weeden to win. Am I the only one that still thinks that?
*Raises hand*

No. You're not.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After watching Matt Cassel lose four games with Dez Bryant in the lineup, an 80-yard kickoff return, and decent rushing performances by McFadden against a mediocre opposition, all I can ask is this: Who is going to take the blame for bringing in Cassel, a QB with a noodle arm?
Just wondering if you would have started this thread if Dez didn't drop the ball.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just thought it was odd that they showed an immediate lack of faith in Weeden by trading for Cassel when they did.
That was the FO trying to get a backup for Weeden that had some NFL experience since there wasn't one on the roster.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was the FO trying to get a backup for Weeden that had some NFL experience since there wasn't one on the roster.

That's one theory, or it was an admission that they themselves had little or no faith in Weeden and wanted to have some sort of alternative. The fact that they put Cassel on the field as soon as he knew the playbook shows me that they had seen all they needed to see from Weeden. And his release as soon as Romo is healthy was yet another clear indicator.

And they were right on both of these last two moves. The only real criticism comes from why they ever kept Weeden in the first place.

For as well as this team has done in talent acquisition in some areas, they've been caught with their pants down in several others. Namely quarterback, running back, and wide receiver, where their depth has been tested (and failed), and their choices have been suspect at best.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Just wondering if you would have started this thread if Dez didn't drop the ball.

finally someone beat me to it.

Cassel drops like a 50 yard bomb within a foot of dez in the endzone for the score and he's the noodle arm thats the problem? LOL

lostar2009

Reaction score
Does anyone remember when Kitna played? Did it appear that he just followed the system or did he improvise? I can't remember, but I'm beginning to think this entire offense and team thrives on Romo being a magician and getting huge chucks of yardage on broken plays that demoralize the other team and lift up the Cowboys. Now if Kitna seemed to just follow the system, then I'm wrong.

Kitna didn't play that mess. He chew Dez up on the sideline one play. He didn't appreciate lazy route running and demanded respect. Also Kitna was a starter for many years and was savy, be just played on some bad teams. When he played with us he executed well. Scoring TD's was not a problem with him. We screwed up with Weeden and Cassel bc they was never starters in the NFL.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Weeden throws lasers. Cassel reminds my of Payton Manning. Flutter balls mixed in with them good spirals. It's between the ears. Every QB on a NFL roster has an 'adequate' arm. Some have guns.

BTW, Payton reminds me of Unitas with his ball. He reminds me more in being able to direct an offense.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

Weeden blows away Cassel in every aspect of the game except maybe in mobility. Yes, Weeden did not play well against the Patriots, but they're the BEST team in the NFL!

It's my guess that Jerry Jones, and not JG, is at fault here for bringing in a guy that can't even score a TD against one of the worst teams in the league.

Now, when you say noodle arm... Can you specify?

Egg
Ramen
Wonton

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Throws ball over 50 yds yet has a noodle arm? :huh:

Many fans don't realize sometimes passes fall short because the QB is getting hit while trying to throw it...