Who was shocked that Romo retired?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agree on all counts except I think Stephen and Garrett made the call and Jerry just didn't meddle. I think it's why Jerry kept bringing it up and kept talking about Romo.
Lol

Right . Jerry had no input on the Romo decision.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think this was how it happened.
The CBS job is something rare and no one saw that coming.
I bet Romo doesn't have the career Troy does in broadcasting .

Romo has expressed before an interest in coaching.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think his injuries were more of a concern than other teams were willing to take on with the kind of contract he'd demand.

And the incentives in Cap relief if he wasn't going to start was too much incentive not to release him.

Yep, in my eyes, his body was failing him. He was toast. And with Dak sitting right there ready to go, there was no sense in sticking with Romo. But none the less, in the right situation, and on a lucky season where he could possibly hold up from the pounding, I would have loved to have seen Romo give it a shot in the right situation. Odds would not be in his favor, but I would have liked to see him try. Just not with the Cowboys.

Attached are the different formulas in the agreement and the financials for June that we can use.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
As much as I was a fan of Dak I would have put Romo back in and let his career play out on his own.

Daks run was incredible but I certainly did see the urgency of making him the starter once Romo was ready to play.

I think we all got caught up in the hoopla along with Jerry. Once I saw Romo in his brief appearance I knew . And how better defenses played us down the stretch. They would never be able to stack the line like that on Romo's ability to go downfield .

Worse case scenario was Romo goes down again or he's unable to move the ball and we reinsert Dak. In the end we didn't advance any further with Dak.

I understand the argument of providing him valuable experience moving forward but I would have thought our priority would have been in winning now which I don't think there's any doubt Romo's prolific passing attack and experience if he can play provided us a much greater opportunity winning and advancing in the playoffs.

I wouldnt say it was urgency. The importance of having Dak start playing was that he needs to the experience. Have to get him up to speed and be the best QB he can be as quickly as possible. Letting him ride the bench would only delay that and delay a possibly championship run. Why delay? He was clearly ready and good enough to lead this team. And it certain aspects he was already better than Romo. Just think how much more of the playbook we can use now. How much better Dak will be because he had the experience with defenses and also in the playoffs.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
100% shocked. Never saw it coming...not with the little play the 2 prior seasons. I figured his competitive drive would fire him through 1 more just to prove to himself he could still compete.

Him retiring was just....it didnt add up.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I wouldnt say it was urgency. The importance of having Dak start playing was that he needs to the experience. Have to get him up to speed and be the best QB he can be as quickly as possible. Letting him ride the bench would only delay that and delay a possibly championship run. Why delay? He was clearly ready and good enough to lead this team. And it certain aspects he was already better than Romo. Just think how much more of the playbook we can use now. How much better Dak will be because he had the experience with defenses and also in the playoffs.
We'll see if that experience pays dividends sooner or later.

But I'd argue Dak limits us in the playbook . He certainly did last year .

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We'll see if that experience pays dividends sooner or later.

But I'd argue Dak limits us in the playbook . He certainly did last year .

He was limited some I am sure. But he also opened up parts of the play book they could never do with Romo. Bootlegs, more roll outs, QB draws, ect......ect..... And there is no question that Dak had this team together and confident more than Romo ever did. I think its pretty clear that overall we lost nothing with Dak.

When the future is as good or close to as good as the present, you go with the future.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He was limited some I am sure. But he also opened up parts of the play book they could never do with Romo. Bootlegs, more roll outs, QB draws, ect......ect..... And there is no question that Dak had this team together and confident more than Romo ever did. I think its pretty clear that overall we lost nothing with Dak.

When the future is as good or close to as good as the present, you go with the future.
Dak obviously brought some assets Romo didn't have while Romo had some abilities Dak didnt or at least hasn't developed yet.

Whether or not we lost anything is pure speculative at this point . I'd argue though the 2014 team was better and closer to a championship caliber than 2016 and most of that would revolve around the effectiveness of Romo and our passing attach with a dominating running game.

I think the bigger argument is have we gained enough which is left to be seen. Proof is always in the pudding .Dak has his career ahead of him. We shall see.

diefree666

Reaction score
I bet Romo doesn't have the career Troy does in broadcasting .

Romo has expressed before an interest in coaching.

I really doubt Tony will coach; the hours they HAVE to work are insane and unless you REALLY love It and badly want to be one you will not last. Tony expressed interest but that was all. I seriously doubt he really wants too that badly.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I really doubt Tony will coach; the hours they HAVE to work are insane and unless you REALLY love It and badly want to be one you will not last. Tony expressed interest but that was all. I seriously doubt he really wants too that badly.

Here's the official statement Romo released after signing on with CBS........

“When you think about the NFL, two of the most iconic brands are the Dallas Cowboys and CBS Sports,” Romo said, via a statement released by CBS. “Going from one legendary team to another as I begin the next phase of my career is a dream come true. I have always known that once my playing career was over I wanted to become a broadcaster. I am ecstatic for the opportunity to work with Jim as I learn the craft and convey to fans my passion for this great game.â€

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dak obviously brought some assets Romo didn't have while Romo had some abilities Dak didnt or at least hasn't developed yet.

Whether or not we lost anything is pure speculative at this point . I'd argue though the 2014 team was better and closer to a championship caliber than 2016 and most of that would revolve around the effectiveness of Romo and our passing attach with a dominating running game.

I think the bigger argument is have we gained enough which is left to be seen. Proof is always in the pudding .Dak has his career ahead of him. We shall see.

So you are a Romo sympathizer? One of those guys that was crying his eyes out that they were sticking with Dak?

Sticking with Dak proved itself without a doubt from the results that unfolded and the year that he and the team had. There is no question it was the right choice. As far as Romo, he wasnt healthy enough to play and he lost his job, its that simple. And Romo in 2014 was not the Romo in 2016. The certainty that Dak was the guy going forward helped team chemistry and helped Linehan tailor his offense to Dak throughout the year. You put Romo back in and its a QB controversy, team is divided, and coordinator is changing the offense again. And if Romo goes down later in the season its big change all over again. And maybe Dak loses some confidence.

No question sticking with Dak was the right call.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So you are a Romo sympathizer? One of those guys that was crying his eyes out that they were sticking with Dak?

Sticking with Dak proved itself without a doubt from the results that unfolded and the year that he and the team had. There is no question it was the right choice. As far as Romo, he wasnt healthy enough to play and he lost his job, its that simple. And Romo in 2014 was not the Romo in 2016. The certainty that Dak was the guy going forward helped team chemistry and helped Linehan tailor his offense to Dak throughout the year. You put Romo back in and its a QB controversy, team is divided, and coordinator is changing the offense again. And if Romo goes down later in the season its big change all over again. And maybe Dak loses some confidence.

No question sticking with Dak was the right call.
Oh no. I was a critic of Romo for much of his career.

I just enjoy playing Devils advocate .

But for the playoffs I certainly would have liked to start Romo.

bigbob

Reaction score

Yeah I think Romo would have maybe
been better for the GB Game.
But we'll never know now.
They had the slow start and lost with
Dak so hard to say he was right choice for that game.
Tony looked good in the Phil game.

I will say that Tony would be better against ATL too.
Dak was clearly the future but
they might have gone further with Tony
but never know now.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I cant even take a statement like that seriously.