Who was shocked that Romo retired?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I for one thought his competitive spirit would drive him to continue to play and try to win a championship. Were there other factors that made him quite other than the booth job?

Personally, I am disappointed in him. Does his decision give an indication as to why he just didnt have the IT factor in his career?

Romo was toast buddy...

In a thread that you started, you both express disappointment with the guy for not continuing to play, question is legacy because of it, and then say that he was toast, anyway. If you wonder why you're on the other end of conversations about taking your opinions seriously on Cowboys topics, it's because of stuff like this.

There was a small part of me that wanted to see the Cowboys look stupid by Romo succeeding elsewhere...

And, of course, this. Kudos for acknowledging it, I guess, but it's tough to read in and to continue to take a discussion seriously.

Both Romo and Dak are/were very good players. Dak was better than we had any right to expect, and it ended up being the right decision to let him continue to play, but that's all water under the bridge. Both QBs handled a tough situation much better than many of our fans did. We were just really lucky to have found a gem at the bottom of the 4th. But I'd be just as confident going into this season with Tony Romo at QB1 and Dak backing him up.

diefree666

Reaction score
I think both the Texans and the Broncos blew it. Yes a trade means accepting romo's contract but he seemed quite willing to negotiate a new one. There was room to get a deal done.
Now the Bronco's have Lynch so they might not be as desperate as the Texans but we will see. Fact is their D is starting to shed pieces and their window is shorter than the Texan's is.
the Texans really have no excuse at all in any way. Their D is built to win it all now and they have enough pieces on O that a top QB could really make the scoreboard heat up.

Bottom line is that both teams got too cute and wasted time that probably was the deciding factor. The more time Romo thought about it the more retiring and going to CBS looked like the way to go.

Have to laugh at the gomers that claim Romo was glass; each of his last injuries were freak occurrences. You might as well say Carr was made of glass due to how his injury happened.

If I had been Elway I would have quietly told Romo that we want you badly but we have to work on how to do it. And that could have been done; everyone always talks to everyone else which is why all this tampering BS is exactly that. If Elway had done that early I think Tony would be a Bronco now. The texans just look totally incompetent.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
I thought he would definitely be playing for another team at this point.

I still think he plays this season...something will happen to a QB (Tannehill and Flacco already) and the offer might really entice him. I believe that he still wants to play.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I for one thought his competitive spirit would drive him to continue to play and try to win a championship. Were there other factors that made him quite other than the booth job?

Personally, I am disappointed in him. Does his decision give an indication as to why he just didnt have the IT factor in his career?

The way it happened was weird.

I thought he might retire after the end of the season, but then he waited until it was obvious that another team was not going to trade for him and then retired.

He should have retire because he could get permanently injured. Back injuries are not like having a gimpy knee or something.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
In a thread that you started, you both express disappointment with the guy for not continuing to play, question is legacy because of it, and then say that he was toast, anyway. If you wonder why you're on the other end of conversations about taking your opinions seriously on Cowboys topics, it's because of stuff like this.

And, of course, this. Kudos for acknowledging it, I guess, but it's tough to read in and to continue to take a discussion seriously.

Both Romo and Dak are/were very good players. Dak was better than we had any right to expect, and it ended up being the right decision to let him continue to play, but that's all water under the bridge. Both QBs handled a tough situation much better than many of our fans did. We were just really lucky to have found a gem at the bottom of the 4th. But I'd be just as confident going into this season with Tony Romo at QB1 and Dak backing him up.

Dont make me laugh. While you were crying your panties out that Romo wasnt playing I was telling you all about how Dak was the real deal. When you start making predictions and analysis that actually come true, then feel free to talk down to me.

Maybe that is your problem, you dont take me seriously. You might want to listen to those of us that get it right. Considering how woefully bad you are analysis and predictions.

After all, who can take any Cowboy fan seriously that thinks that Jason Garrett is the next hall of fame coach in waiting. Just look at your signature. Have you every seen anything so pathetic?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dont make me laugh. While you were crying your panties out that Romo wasnt playing I was telling you all about how Dak was the real deal. When you start making predictions and analysis that actually come true, then feel free to talk down to me.

Maybe that is your problem, you dont take me seriously. You might want to listen to those of us that get it right. Considering how woefully bad you are analysis and predictions.

After all, who can take any Cowboy fan seriously that thinks that Jason Garrett is the next hall of fame coach in waiting. Just look at your signature. Have you every seen anything so pathetic?

There's nothing to take seriously.

That Romo v Dak comment, for example. It all stems from me saying Romo would probably have won that first Giants game. As he probably would have. There's zero substance to your argument otherwise. You just don't bother getting your facts right.

You're wrong about almost everything you say. Literally. But since you don't care about accuracy, you convince yourself otherwise.

Like the Romo example I gave earlier that you completely sidestepped: you're disappointed he didn't continue and certain he's done. All in the same thread. And when you're called on it, you deflect.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
There's nothing to take seriously.

That Romo v Dak comment, for example. It all stems from me saying Romo would probably have won that first Giants game. As he probably would have. There's zero substance to your argument otherwise. You just don't bother getting your facts right.

You're wrong about almost everything you say. Literally. But since you don't care about accuracy, you convince yourself otherwise.

Like the Romo example I gave earlier that you completely sidestepped: you're disappointed he didn't continue and certain he's done. All in the same thread. And when you're called on it, you deflect.

Lets be hones here. There is only one reason and one reason only that people take you seriously on here. And we both know what that is.

Your silly insults might mean something, but how can I take anyone seriously that thinks that Jason Garrett is a great head coach. Your signature is laughable. Its an embarrassment. But clearly you have no shame.

My concept on Romo is obviously too complicated for you to understand. I have no interest in explaining it to you.

Last edited:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lets be hones here. There is only one reason and one reason only that people take you seriously on here. And we both know what that is.

Your silly insults might mean something, but how can I take anyone seriously that thinks that Jason Garrett is a great head coach. Your signature is laughable. Its an embarrassment. But clearly you have no shame.

My concept on Romo is obviously too complicated for you to understand. I have no interest in explaining it to you.

Lol. I think you nailed it. I'm happy letting post histories speak for themselves.

Maybe somebody will help me out later and PM me the Cliffs Notes version of your 'concept on Romo' to bring me up to speed. That would be great.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Lol. I think you nailed it. I'm happy letting post histories speak for themselves.

Maybe somebody will help me out later and PM me the Cliffs Notes version of your 'concept on Romo' to bring me up to speed. That would be great.

The funny part is you actually think you have some kind of audience. LOL

How about you just get lost and stop stalking me.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score

True, but only for the Cowboys and being that wasn't going to happen, I truly believe Candice had him hang his cleats. His back was a mess and another big hit would of benched him yet again. He made the right decision. I wish Aikman didn't retire when he did. We'll never know had he not retired due to all those concussions, would he of taken us to yet another SB championship? Instead, until Brady, we had to listen to Big mouth Bradshaw how him and Montana were the only ones with 4 rings.

Last edited:

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
I was very surprised but once it happened it made sense. I thought the competitiveness would've drove him to Houston... that being said, I'm a little bit of a gym rat and a weekend warrior in some recreational leagues and I suffer from some back pain quite often. I can't imagine the level of pain he feels at times or having to manage it.

I think the pain, the fact that he would have to relocate his family or arrange to fly back and forth, as well as learning a new team, playbook, teammates and facilities for just 2-3 years max... I think all of those things together made it not worth it. As some have said, if he didn't have his family, I think he would be playing.

That being said, I'm proud of him and the career he had. I have no doubts that if he was slated to be Dallas' starter, he would be playing this season.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I was shocked. I thought he would give it a go with another team. But I don't think being disappointed in him is the correct term. He had a great career. He got offered a tremendous opportunity with CBS.. he didn't really want to play for anyone else so he took the CBS gig. I believe that if he was still the starter for the Cowboys, he wouldn't have even considered the CBS job at all. I will forever say that the Cowboys screwed it all up by giving the starter job to Prescott. When Tony was able to play, he should have been back in there playing as the starter. 1 of 3 things would have happened, 1. He plays the rest of the year and shows he is healthy and can hold up (trade value explodes). 2. He gets injured again, sealing his fate as an NFL Player 3. He plays below his normal expectations which we would have re inserted Dak. In the end, Dak had shown enough in the 8 or 9 games that he was the future and Dallas could have traded Tony at the end of the year. Once he didn't go back in, Everyone in the NFL knew Dallas was going to release him, so why would anyone even consider trading for him.. The FO botched it, which was a fitting way to end his career in Dallas, seeing how they botched his whole career anyway.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
So the folks who've bad mouthed him his entire career are disappointed In him that he's retiring..shocking

I'm not. I'm glad his era here is done.

Although he didn't officially retire yet. He left the door slightly open.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

I think his injuries were more of a concern than other teams were willing to take on with the kind of contract he'd demand.

And the incentives in Cap relief if he wasn't going to start was too much incentive not to release him.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
As much as I was a fan of Dak I would have put Romo back in and let his career play out on his own.

Daks run was incredible but I certainly did see the urgency of making him the starter once Romo was ready to play.

I think we all got caught up in the hoopla along with Jerry. Once I saw Romo in his brief appearance I knew . And how better defenses played us down the stretch. They would never be able to stack the line like that on Romo's ability to go downfield .

Worse case scenario was Romo goes down again or he's unable to move the ball and we reinsert Dak. In the end we didn't advance any further with Dak.

I understand the argument of providing him valuable experience moving forward but I would have thought our priority would have been in winning now which I don't think there's any doubt Romo's prolific passing attack and experience if he can play provided us a much greater opportunity winning and advancing in the playoffs.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
These type underlying agendas against Romo is just another example of how under appreciated he was by too many fans. Romo practically single handed for several years kept this team relevant while we were rebuilding the team after the one Bill built we let fade under Wades watch.

Romo deserved to be reinserted. Very disappointed In Jerry. I was certain he'd put Romo back in but he fell to the public pressure.

I said from the beginning Jerry would screw it up. Initially I thought he'd put Romo in too soon risking injury again but then waited too long. The first sign of Daks struggles should have been an indicator.

But it's another example of Jerry playing to the public opinion and the casual fans venom towards Romo not understanding the game following the medias rhetoric.

This offense was built for Romo and his prolific passing attack. Now we're totally dependent on a dominating running game . Let's hope we don't lose Zeke a few games and Dak can respond with a more downfield passing attack or this will be long disappointing season.

bigbob

Reaction score
. I also think the Texans tried to downplay their interest thinking that if the Cowboys wouldn't just release him then, they would before June 1st. What they didn't count on is that gave CBS time to make him an incredible offer and, more importantly, it gave Romo time to think about it. I think if the Texans could do it all over again, they would do whatever they had to do to get Romo in there as soon as possible.
I think this was how it happened.
The CBS job is something rare and no one saw that coming.

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
These type underlying agendas against Romo is just another example of how under appreciated he was by too many fans. Romo practically single handed for several years kept this team relevant while we were rebuilding the team after the one Bill built we let fade under Wades watch.

Romo deserved to be reinserted. Very disappointed In Jerry. I was certain he'd put Romo back in but he fell to the public pressure.

I said from the beginning Jerry would screw it up. Initially I thought he'd put Romo in too soon risking injury again but then waited too long. The first sign of Daks struggles should have been an indicator.

But it's another example of Jerry playing to the public opinion and the casual fans venom towards Romo not understanding the game following the medias rhetoric.

This offense was built for Romo and his prolific passing attack. Now we're totally dependent on a dominating running game . Let's hope we don't lose Zeke a few games and Dak can respond with a more downfield passing attack or this will be long disappointing season.

Agree on all counts except I think Stephen and Garrett made the call and Jerry just didn't meddle. I think it's why Jerry kept bringing it up and kept talking about Romo.