Who was shocked that Romo retired?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I just hope they're not being careless with the position again because Prescott bailed them out. While he's younger and built sturdier, you're still one play away from having to go out there with Kellen Moore under center.

And then scrambling to try to 'fix things'.

They should be trying to draft a Dak type QB at least every other year. OR at least when they see quality in rounds 2-5.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Early last year, I was talking to my wife and had a guess as to what happened:

Romo is married with 2 kids. You have to think his wife was constantly on him about retiring, in consideration of all the injuries he was stacking up and how that may impact his quality of life as he got older. I further imagined that Romo's constant argument is that he couldn't leave the Jones's high and dry without a viable replacement. In steps Dak and completely tears up that excuse. From that moment forward, his wife became a broken record and simply would not let it go. In steps NBC with a shiny new job offer. At this point, Romo had no more ammunition to fight off his wife and decided to cave under that pressure.

Keep in mind, this is just a guess. But after what Dak did in preseason last year, I had a feeling that was the end for Romo. So, to answer your question, I wasn't surprised.

Sounds like a very good idea of what happened. I also think he wasnt as coveted as he thought he might be.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They are making the same dumb QB mistakes they made with Romo. Unless their philosophy is all or nothing. Boom or tank.

I would have liked to see a more-established vet signing or a draft pick in the pipeline being developed. But they went a different route and I hope it doesn't blow up in their face.

jday

Reaction score
Sounds like a very good idea of what happened. I also think he wasnt as coveted as he thought he might be.

That aspect of the conversation was a surprise. I honestly thought there would be teams chomping at the bit to send a fourth rounder for a guy who could very possibly at the very least lend relevance to a struggling franchise. The Texans or Broncos would have been great landing places...especially the Texans considering their acquisition of Deshaun Watson. Dependent on how Deshaun does in preseason, they could have Romo act as an interim starter until he is ready. Of course, considering what they gave up to go get Watson, giving up any draft picks for Romo might have been too much of a draft investment in quarterbacks, but considering how complete that defense is, it's not completely unthinkable either.

NotForLong

Reaction score
No, it's an opinion. You should know the difference.

And there's no point in arguing an unprovable opinion.

Romo's retired and steeping into a great job, and the team has a bright future with Dak. Those are things to be happy about, not argue about.

Just because you call it an "UNPROVABLE OPINION" does not make the statement Romo is better then Dak not true.

If you really believe a Rookie QB is better then Romo go ahead believe that if you want to, but thats not true.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just because you call it an "UNPROVABLE OPINION" does not make the statement Romo is better then Dak not true.

Yeah, it really does. If something cannot be proven - and this can't - then it's not "true" or false.

If you really believe a Rookie QB is better then Romo go ahead believe that if you want to, but thats not true.

I'm not interested in arguing over an unproveable hypothetical opinion. Dak is here and Romo isn't playing. There's nothing at all to argue beyond those two facts.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Tony was done and he knew it. He's missed practically 2 straight years with injuries. I don't think badly of him. His future health should be more important to him than football.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Yeah, it really does. If something cannot be proven - and this can't - then it's not "true" or false.

I'm not interested in arguing over an unproveable hypothetical opinion. Dak is here and Romo isn't playing. There's nothing at all to argue beyond those two facts.

I really could careless about what you wanna argue about.

The fact is this Romo is better then Dak now. If you cant bring yourself to admit it, thats due to your inability to reason.

We dont have to do abscientific study to prove what everyone knows. Right now Romo is better then Dak hes seen more and hes experienced more

DFWJC

Reaction score
That aspect of the conversation was a surprise. I honestly thought there would be teams chomping at the bit to send a fourth rounder for a guy who could very possibly at the very least lend relevance to a struggling franchise. The Texans or Broncos would have been great landing places...especially the Texans considering their acquisition of Deshaun Watson. Dependent on how Deshaun does in preseason, they could have Romo act as an interim starter until he is ready. Of course, considering what they gave up to go get Watson, giving up any draft picks for Romo might have been too much of a draft investment in quarterbacks, but considering how complete that defense is, it's not completely unthinkable either.
The list was limited to 1-2 teams that he would even consider, and they had the leverage. If he'd come out and said he'd play anywhere and at a discounted rate...maybe. As it was, a new team would inherit Romo's contract in a trade. and, again,he only had a couple of places he MIGHT have played...if he played at all.

His wife did worry about his health, but she was on board for him playing if his heart was in it completely.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Tony was done and he knew it. He's missed practically 2 straight years with injuries. I don't think badly of him. His future health should be more important to him than football.
After November Romo was actually healthy last year

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really could careless about what you wanna argue about.

The fact is this Romo is better then Dak now. If you cant bring yourself to admit it, thats due to your inability to reason.

We dont have to do abscientific study to prove what everyone knows. Right now Romo is better then Dak hes seen more and hes experienced more

Tilting at windmills is an English idiom which means attacking imaginary enemies. The word "tilt", in this context, comes from jousting.

The phrase is sometimes used to describe confrontations where adversaries are incorrectly perceived, or courses of action that are based on misinterpreted or misapplied heroic, romantic, or idealistic justifications. It may also connote an importune, unfounded, and vain effort against adversaries real or imagined for a vain goal.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was done. He would have gotten hurt again within a game or 2. He was supposed to be 100 % healthy last summer too. He was breaking down.

There's no arguing that fact. Let's face it, he didn't last more than 3 plays in that last preseason game.

They can save the "freak injury" nonsense, they're all "freak injuries" or they never would have happened!

The fact is that some players get injured more often and Romo was one of 'em. Sad but true.

jday

Reaction score
The list was limited to 1-2 teams that he would even consider, and they had the leverage. If he'd come out and said he'd play anywhere and at a discounted rate...maybe. As it was, a new team would inherit Romo's contract in a trade. and, again,he only had a couple of places he MIGHT have played...if he played at all.

His wife did worry about his health, but she was on board for him playing if his heart was in it completely.

Everything you wrote sounds plausible for the exception of that last sentence. That sounds like something the Romo's wanted the fans to think. No wife wants to have to push their husband around in a wheelchair later in life.

NotForLong

Reaction score
He was done. He would have gotten hurt again within a game or 2. He was supposed to be 100 % healthy last summer too. He was breaking down.
He was injured on a freak play when he was sliding rhe jerk should never had touched him

Why would he have gotten hurt and if he did who cares we had Dak

DFWJC

Reaction score
Everything you wrote sounds plausible for the exception of that last sentence. That sounds like something the Romo's wanted the fans to think. No wife wants to have to push their husband around in a wheelchair later in life.
I actually know very well about the last sentence due to family connections not worth elaborating on. Of all the parts, that one is most certain.

Definitely a consideration though....just not at the level some might think.

jday

Reaction score
I actually know very well about the last sentence due to family connections not worth elaborating on. Of all the parts, that one is most certain.

Definitely a consideration though....just not at the level some might think.

I hear you, but unless you are Romo or his wife, you really don't know as well as you think. There is the reality of the situation inside the relationship and then there is what a couple wants everyone outside of the relationship to think. That sounds like something they would want everyone to think. It just sounds like posturing to keep his wife in good standing with the public at large. Which is smart because the public at large is stupid.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I hear you, but unless you are Romo or his wife, you really don't know as well as you think. There is the reality of the situation inside the relationship and then there is what a couple wants everyone outside of the relationship to think. That sounds like something they would want everyone to think. It just sounds like posturing to keep his wife in good standing with the public at large. Which is smart because the public at large is stupid.
i'll pm you

NotForLong

Reaction score
Tilting at windmills is an English idiom which means attacking imaginary enemies. The word "tilt", in this context, comes from jousting.

The phrase is sometimes used to describe confrontations where adversaries are incorrectly perceived, or courses of action that are based on misinterpreted or misapplied heroic, romantic, or idealistic justifications. It may also connote an importune, unfounded, and vain effort against adversaries real or imagined for a vain goal.
Ok Don Quixote. How long have you been saving those words of wisdom