Who was the better player last year? Steele or Collins?

CWR

Reaction score
Objectively, Collins is a better player than Steele, but to his credit Steele allowed only two sacks (same as Collins) all season, playing 290 more snaps.

Yes Steele is the better pass blocker and doesn't get flagged as often. LC is the superior run blocker. At least that is how it had been.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think disrupting the chemistry they had in the early season was a big mistake

steele

The first half of the year when Steele was at RT he was good. Very good. Especially in the run game.

Once he was moved over the LT he seemed out of his element and he couldnt handle the upgrade in talent over there. Collins was terrible from the moment he stepped on the field.

I would say Steele, but they were both terrible in the 2nd half.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Objectively, Collins is a better player than Steele, but to his credit Steele allowed only two sacks (same as Collins) all season, playing 290 more snaps.
If your a better player, you play better. Collins did not play better!!! Simple

He gave up the same amount of sacks in 290 less snaps! That’s better?

Collins had more penalties per snap! That’s playing better?

Collins played terrible vs the Whiners too!

Glad we decided on keeping Steele and getting rid of the mediocre malcontent Collins.

conner01

Reaction score
Steele was better last year
Collins is more talented
Steele wants to play
I question if Collins wanted to play last year
Steele is on the roster
Collins is gone

conner01

Reaction score
I'm just the opposite, I would Not have been on board with switching him to OG.

- For someone who is/was trying to regain form with a hip issue, placing him inside where he is gonna have to count on bending his knees, and getting even lower to anchor,
even more so at OG in a phone booth, is differently than coming off the edge, in space on the edge would have been a big difference and a bigger challenge to Collins.

- The irony was that Cowboys staff was so hell bent on having him immediately inside at OG, and so reluctant to OT, when they first signed him as an undrafted rookie
because they thought his arm span length was too short for OT, and more suited for OG.

- But the Doug Free sudden retirement totally changed the dynamics.
Just as both the hip concern, suspension and emergence/development of Steele changed the dynamics of departure of Collins.
I think Collins wasn’t even on their radar but was too good to pass up. They had Free at tackle so guard got him on the field

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Not even close.

Collins.
LOL!

Who’s still on the team?

Collins has always been inconsistent and he will probably always be a knucklehead.

It was about more than just talent. Collins is an underachiever and Steele is an Overachiever. If talent is comparable, I take the overachiever every time.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
LOL!

Who’s still on the team?

Collins has always been inconsistent and he will probably always be a knucklehead.

It was about more than just talent. Collins is an underachiever and Steele is an Overachiever. If talent is comparable, I take the overachiever every time.
Being an overachiever is fine and dandy, but the underachiever in your scenario is still better and I don't like Collins one bit. I was glad he's gone, but I was disappointed to not replace him with equal or better talent.

Creeper

Reaction score
Collins. Collins is a good player and he will do well in Cincinnati.

But Steele is younger and less experienced. He could develop into an equal or better player with time. We talk about toughness, and Collins is a tough guy. Just remember when in 2020 a Washington player put a dirty hit on Dalton and all the offensive linemen stood around? That included Steele. When a player got a little dirty hit on Dak, in 2021, Collins went after him, getting himself kicked out of the game in the process. Do we want some nastiness on the OL or not?

plymkr

Reaction score
Collins himself was better.

The OL as a unit was better with Steele.

Coincidence? Don't know
This is what I think. Collins may have more talent but the offensive line and the offense did better when Collins was suspended. I wish they would have left well enough alone. We were rolling then Collins came back and Dak got hurt. After that the offense never looked the same.

I'll take a hard working consistent player over a talented knucklehead anyday.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

Yes, true. But they also adjusted their play calling a lot of times to get the ball out quicker with Steele playing RT.

I'm personally excited to see if Ball can compete for the starting spot. Dude looks the part.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Steele is the better pass blocker and doesn't get flagged as often. LC is the superior run blocker.

I would go the opposite. When Collins was on his game, he was better than Steele at pass pro. They are both good run blockers but Steele was crushing some folks early in the season.

As others have said, both seemed to struggle at times during second half of the season.

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
I would go the opposite. When Collins was on his game, he was better than Steele at pass pro. They are both good run blockers but Steele was crushing some folks early in the season.

As others have said, both seemed to struggle at times during second half of the season.

You may be correct. I was going off how they've graded out the last couple years. Personally, I don't narrow in on offensive line enough. That said, our offense was humming with Steele to start the season.