Who was the last Cowboys OC you liked?

Bigrandrn

Reaction score
Everyone on here hates Kellen and after Sunday I get it. But ever since online message boards were created the Cowboys OC has been the teams lightning rod since the days of Bruce Coslet in the 90s even when the team led the league in scoring offense and yards and it wasn’t only against bad teams.

So have you always hated the OC? Because they haven’t had 29 years of bad OCs so perhaps some years your anger should be more directed to the players.

For me I loved the 2007 team with Garrett. Always went for the dagger even when up 2 scores in the second half. I think Kellen brings a lot of creativity and obviously at times discretion is badly needed when to use it.

A lot of coaches and schemes are about the same and pretty much all are restricted to how well players execute. Kellen would look a lot better if players didn’t get in 3rd and 7 all the time.
In 2007, I think a lot was the players they had on O.

WTtoolman

Reaction score
Callahan was OC or assisitant HC , correct ? Or was it Linehan. I always like Callhan OL.
Callahan was the Run game coordinator/offensive line coach. Jerry blocked him from taking a job lateral job elsewhere in the final year of his contract, so I highly doubt we'll ever have him on our sideline again. I'd would definitely trade a conditional sixth rounder to have him back.

phildadon86

Reaction score
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – When Jason Garrett joined the Dallas Cowboys in 2007, he was given the title of offensive coordinator and the duty of calling the team's plays, neither of which he surrendered when he was named head coach midway through the 2010 season.

The team took a nosedive because the OL took a nosedive
Sparano was calling the plays. If you believe Garrett was the person who deserves credit for that 2007 offense you’re delusional.

The OL didn’t take a nose dive in 2008. Sparano went to coach Miami

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Scott Linehan he was a good play caller it’s not his fault he had two choking QBs Romo and Dak.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Norv Turner was the best OC and Callahan was the best OL line Coach, imho. Both were excellent in their specialties. I thought JG called plays hoping not to lose, rather than to win. He was often far too conservative under stressful circumstances, imho.

Last edited:

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
For everyone who chose Norv Turner, I recall a time when he was criticized for lack of creativity and running the ball too much lol.. He had the most accurate passer {Troy Aikman} in the history of the NFL, {Michael Irvin} one of the greatest WR's in the history of football, {Jay Novacek} always steady and reliable, making play after play when called upon. Norv Turner's offense was a heavy run-based offense that had a big, strong, mean, versatile and dominant O-Line {The Great Wall} arguably the greatest O-line in the history of the sport, and last but not least, our greatest weapon {#22 Emmitt Smith} League MVP, Super Bowl MVP, All Time Leading Rusher in NFL History. The offense wasn't very complicated, as Jerry Jones once joked that one of the owners of another team told him that everyone team in the league, from a strategic play-calling standpoint, knows what the Cowboys are going to do, but we can't stop it. That is the ultimate compliment to a Great Team.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This coach (Todd Haley) might not have been the official Offensive Coordinator for the Dallas Cowboys, but he had as much say in the playcalling since he was the passing coordinator for the Cowboys from 2004 - 2006 before he left to become the O-Coordinator of the Cardinals and led them to the Super Bowl the following year in 2007.

Todd Haley's offenses in Dallas were awesome! They had a mix of the Cowboys and Giants offenses of the 90s, along with a touch of the Patriots from the late 90s/early 2000s.

Here is a lengthy highlight reel for the Cowboys 2004 Offensive production. Totally dynamic highlight reel Offense led by old man Vinny Testaverde and passing to weapons like Keyshawn Johnson, Terry Glenn, Antonio Bryant, rookie Tight End Jason Witten and many more. That was an awesome Offense, along with a pretty good Defense as well!