Who was the last Cowboys OC you liked?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everyone on here hates Kellen and after Sunday I get it. But ever since online message boards were created the Cowboys OC has been the teams lightning rod since the days of Bruce Coslet in the 90s even when the team led the league in scoring offense and yards and it wasn’t only against bad teams.

So have you always hated the OC? Because they haven’t had 29 years of bad OCs so perhaps some years your anger should be more directed to the players.

For me I loved the 2007 team with Garrett. Always went for the dagger even when up 2 scores in the second half. I think Kellen brings a lot of creativity and obviously at times discretion is badly needed when to use it.

A lot of coaches and schemes are about the same and pretty much all are restricted to how well players execute. Kellen would look a lot better if players didn’t get in 3rd and 7 all the time.
The difference between the Cowboys and teams like the Rams/Bucs/Niners is the OLine run blocking scheme.

The offensive was very good in 2014 due to OL coach Bill Callahan and his run blocking scheme.

He departed after 2014 but all the 2016 starters had been coached by him previously and it had a carry over effect.

The Bucs run blocking scheme used a combination of something very similar to the old Counter-Trey scheme that Joe Gibbs used & the zone run blocking concepts current used by teams like the Rams/Niners.

• The Cowboys now use a lot of inside zone; whereas, the Ram/Niners use much more outside zone.
    • Inside zone is similar to straight ahead power-man blocking where it's more about the individual OLinemen winning their blocks.
    • Outside zone and the OL pulling plays like the Counter-Trey work by putting defenders into no-win situations.
      • The fails might be little more dramatic but the successful plays are also more dramatic.
Kellen Moore is dependent on the OLine coach to implement the run blocking scheme.

plasticman

Reaction score
The last one I liked was the last one whose efforts resulted in a championship.

That would be Norv Turner.

Then he became Washington's Head Coach, and I disliked him.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I agree with Norv Turner....of course he had an incredible offense to work with too. LOL.....All Pros everywhere....and THAT OL.....dammmmmmmm...

ESisback

Reaction score
Turner because he cussed like a sailor and was known as the coach with the colorful language.

All my coaches cuss or they can't be my coaches. Landry was the only exception but I fantasized about him talking dirty to me.

A spy once snuck into a Landry practice, and there he was, drunk and farting and dropping f bombs everywhere. The cheerleaders stayed clear, because he was notoriously handsy.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Easy answer and I think I can speak for the board here.

Jason Garrett.
tenor.gif

CWR

Reaction score
Everyone on here hates Kellen and after Sunday I get it. But ever since online message boards were created the Cowboys OC has been the teams lightning rod since the days of Bruce Coslet in the 90s even when the team led the league in scoring offense and yards and it wasn’t only against bad teams.

So have you always hated the OC? Because they haven’t had 29 years of bad OCs so perhaps some years your anger should be more directed to the players.

For me I loved the 2007 team with Garrett. Always went for the dagger even when up 2 scores in the second half. I think Kellen brings a lot of creativity and obviously at times discretion is badly needed when to use it.

A lot of coaches and schemes are about the same and pretty much all are restricted to how well players execute. Kellen would look a lot better if players didn’t get in 3rd and 7 all the time.

Kellen just kills our chance at a run game. If it was a part of his offense, and if he had some sense of game flow maybe we wouldn't be in 3rd and 7 so often.

I agree the players put us in bad positions as well.