Who will be the new DL coach?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Non of us know what type of quality coaches are out there. And know is going to say…I won’t work for MM … or Jerry …

Another fan related myth just because they are not happy.
Fans like to pretend Dallas is this mythical place and I get it, the team is extremely popular.

However, coaches do not want to uproot their family for a one-year gig. Or, if they have options, they choose the other team since they have a better chance of lasting a few years there. You are even seeing it with assistants now (Wells, Harris) who the team (not the coach) is blocking the move. McCarthy is in a situation where if they do not experience remarkable success next year, he is likely done.

There are coaches and agents who do not like dealing with Jerry and/or Stephen. You can squeeze your eyes tight and try to pretend otherwise.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fans like to pretend Dallas is this mythical place and I get it, the team is extremely popular.

However, coaches do not want to uproot their family for a one-year gig. Or, if they have options, they choose the other team since they have a better chance of lasting a few years there. You are even seeing it with assistants now (Wells, Harris) who the team (not the coach) is blocking the move. McCarthy is in a situation where if they do not experience remarkable success next year, he is likely done.

There are coaches and agents who do not like dealing with Jerry and/or Stephen. You can squeeze your eyes tight and try to pretend otherwise.
And you can do the same. Squint all you want.
And they do not have to uproot their families. They can find a temporary place for a year. Travel if needed.

Reactions: JPM

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
And you can do the same. Squint all you want.
And they do not have to uproot their families. They can find a temporary place for a year. Travel if needed.
Sure.

Coaches love being away from their families. That's how it works.

Remind me.How many years did you coach?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Leon Lett was ok when he was here but I feel we need to do better. Zimmer will find his guy.

Rayman70

Reaction score
anybody have a list of available guys zim might choose from or has worked with in the past?

exciter

Reaction score
Shariff Floyd played for Zimmer in Minn. He’s currently on staff already
They just let him interview with Washington the day before they let Zimmer decision out. Wonder if there’s still some animosity between the two!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure.

Coaches love being away from their families. That's how it works.

Remind me.How many years did you coach?
What does that have to do with anything if I coached or not.
Can’t prove your point so you need to attack me. :lmao2:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Who will be the new DL coach?

Also, who replaces Whitt?
I have to say I don't really care.
Jerry is just beating my fanhood out of me.
Don't care we have no Cowboys football for several months.
I used to really look forward to training camp.
Meh

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
What does that have to do with anything if I coached or not.
Can’t prove your point so you need to attack me. :lmao2:
Not attacking you. Just pointing out that you have no idea what you are talking about and just posting an opinion based purely on your fandom.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
It is self evident. Where is yours, I’m still waiting.
Self-evident? The answer of a man with no answers.

Experience and results.

The Cowboys choices for DC were someone who has been fired two times in the last four years, a coach out of the league two years, and a coach outside of the league since 2016. In-house candidates took equivalent jobs in Seattle and Washington. They chose security over uncertainty.

Also, the "lame duck" comment doesn't just apply to the Cowboys. It applies to any coach in their last year of their contract. Are there coaches who will take this opportunity? For sure.

Quality coaches with options are probably not taking that chance.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Andre Patterson & Zimmer have a history. Patterson is still with the Giants but he could be available with the DC change. He could also give him a higher title, like he did the last couple of years in Minnesota.

Minnesota Vikings (2014–2019)
Defensive line coach
Minnesota Vikings (2020)
Co-defensive coordinator / defensive line coach
Minnesota Vikings (2021)
Assistant head coach / co-defensive coordinator / defensive line coach

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Can we bring in the San Francisco DL coach? He knows Shanahans scheme
Kris Kocurek? You probably can't get him.

Maybe his assistant Darryl Tapp though. He's been their Assistant DL Coach for 3 years and could be ready to run his own unit.

No ties to Cowboys, McCarthy, or Zimmer though.

Carson

Reaction score
Kris Kocurek? You probably can't get him.

Maybe his assistant Darryl Tapp though. He's been their Assistant DL Coach for 3 years and could be ready to run his own unit.

No ties to Cowboys, McCarthy, or Zimmer though.
Guys like Tapp are the moves we need to be making