News: Who Will Lead The Defense In Sacks?

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Definitely! It's not our money, JJ is too stubborn to admit defeat back to back years @ DE (two 2nds/one 3rd rd pick to acquire) due to these suspensions. How could it hurt @ all?

Bottom line is that not enough was done address the pass rush. Hoping one of the kids will dramatically improve enough to catapult the D to top 10 is not a sound strategy. Jerry was on right track last season by signing a a proven impact pass rusher in Hardy. Hardy's presence allowed DLaw and TCraw to have career seasons. A guy like Freeney should allow them to continue their progress instead of the more likely regress without a name defender creating one on ones.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Bottom line is that not enough was done address the pass rush. Hoping one of the kids will dramatically improve enough to catapult the D to top 10 is not a sound strategy. Jerry was on right track last season by signing a a proven impact pass rusher in Hardy. Hardy's presence allowed DLaw and TCraw to have career seasons. A guy like Freeney should allow them to continue their progress instead of the more likely regress without a name defender creating one on ones.

For sure, mortgage the future just like the Giants this past off season...as if that approach ends in anything but financial problems in the future. What is going to be paid to the offense, that is the true bell cow for this team?

DFWJC

Reaction score
The overall team total will up significantly, but I don't see any single player lighting it up.
A bunch with 6-8 sacks and maybe 1-2 around 10-11.
Guess that's pretty vague :dance:dancing around the answer

CCBoy

Reaction score
The overall team total will up significantly, but I don't see any single player lighting it up.

That should move Dallas up 10 - 15 places in turnovers alone.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
For sure, mortgage the future just like the Giants this past off season...as if that approach ends in anything but financial problems in the future. What is going to be paid to the offense, that is the true bell cow for this team?

Greg Hardy, Dwight Freeney type signings will not mortgage the future. These are low base, high incentive type deals due to age and off field issues. A deal that mortgages the future would be trading for proven pro bowl guys like Mo Wilkerson instead of waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting for high upside players like Ty Crawford or Randy Gregory. Cowboys are in position and should employ both strategies to improve team.

The funny thing is Wilkerson and Crawford are practically the same age, but one is much more decorated, playing consistently at pro bowl level AND paid accordingly, the other is just starting to break out (maybe) and up to now, overpaid. I also hope Ty has a break out season and puts up Hatcher numbers, but bringing in more talent actually assures such a thing happens rather than restricts it.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Who Will Lead The Defense In Sacks?
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2016/07/20/20-questions-who-will-lead-cowboys’-defense-sacks-2016

Nick Eatman: I wish I had a better answer than picking a guy that will serve a four-game suspension, but I just don’t. We did see DeMarcus Lawrence go on a tear last season and if he can get anywhere close to that pace again when he comes back, he can still flirt with double-digit sacks. I don’t see anyone else getting more than six, so my answer is Lawrence. I would like to give you a wildcard or darkhorse pick, but I really don’t have one. Maybe Mayowa can get hot and become that speed-rusher this team needs and perhaps Tapper uses his quickness to get a few sacks. But leading the team? It has to be Lawrence for me.

David Helman: I’m going to go with Tyrone Crawford, for a variety of reasons. Firstly, he’s not facing a four-game suspension – which will give him a leg up over the Cowboys’ other top pass rushers. More importantly, he plays the all-important three-technique position, which has long been touted as the most crucial position in Rod Marinelli’s defense. We saw how much a good three-tech can do for a defense when Jason Hatcher notched 11 sacks in 2013. Crawford is being paid $9 million per seasons to deliver those types of results, and he needs to deliver – not just because he’s well-paid, but because there aren’t many other options to generate pressure. Crawford played most of the season with a bum shoulder last year, so the hope is that he’ll be fully healthy in 2016. If he is, I think he’s capable of seven or eight sacks – which is likely good enough to lead the team.

Bryan Broaddus: Benson Mayowa. I really do believe that the pro scouts got this player right from what I was able to see from the OTA practices and on his tape from the Raiders. He showed me the ability to capture the edge and I believe he has the ability to finish. I know the numbers don't say that now but at the end of the season I think they will. I also like the fact that he started his career with the Seahawks. Those scouts know a thing or two about edge rushers and they saw something in him that gives me some hope that he can develop...

Tank Lawrence will lead the team in sacks. He will also be tied for 2nd for games suspended

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
Freeney actually has more career sacks than Haley did, so there's that.

And "a year" of Freeney is better for this team than what they currently have or don't have. Any player he could push off the roster doesn't deserve to be here anyway.

Oh I see the point, I just want us to draft players that can actually produce. I hate having to get rented players for only a year, even two. But hey I will still root for the Boys regardless.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
The better question is how many defenders will have double digit sacks, not who will lead the team in sacks. If no one gets more than 5 sacks, then who cares who led the team?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh I see the point, I just want us to draft players that can actually produce. I hate having to get rented players for only a year, even two. But hey I will still root for the Boys regardless.

I don't want to be in this position either, but thanks to prior moves and some bad decisions, here we are. Now it needs to be dealt with.

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
I don't want to be in this position either, but thanks to prior moves and some bad decisions, here we are. Now it needs to be dealt with.

Beyond this, which approach do you favor? drafting or signing good FAs?