Who will replace JG after his firing this season?

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Dallas isn't going to the playoffs. That's a fact. If we want to go into the playoffs, it would take a miracle by Philadelphia to tank. The NFC is simply too loaded for us to get into a WC spot. Here are the likely/predicted NFC playoffs.

1. NO
2. SEA
3. PHI
4. GB
5. SF (49ers)
6. Lions/Rams/Carolina/Bucs/Vikings/Bears

This would obviously mean Dallas is knocked out of contention. JG will likely be fired. Who would replace him? I know there are swirling rumors of Lincoln Riley, but I severely doubt he'd leave Oklahoma. We all heard the Payton rumors last year, and he signed an extension with NO just a few months ago. In addition to that, JJ (unfortunately) likes to hire from the inside, however, we don't have many personnel that could handle that job. Kellen is a rookie OC, aka, not ready for HC. Richard is a potential candidate, however, some teams are still trying to snag him, plus we aren't very high on him as is (which wouldn't stop JJ anyways). Rod is too old and likely wouldn't take the job any ways. Who else is there? McCarthy is still available I have heard. I'm not too familiar on any other coaches possibly available. Thoughts?

Playmaker247

Reaction score
Dallas isn't going to the playoffs. That's a fact. If we want to go into the playoffs, it would take a miracle by Philadelphia to tank. The NFC is simply too loaded for us to get into a WC spot. Here are the likely/predicted NFC playoffs.

1. NO
2. SEA
3. PHI
4. GB
5. SF (49ers)

This would obviously mean Dallas is knocked out of contention. JG will likely be fired. Who would replace him? I know there are swirling rumors of Lincoln Riley, but I severely doubt he'd leave Oklahoma. We all heard the Payton rumors last year, and he signed an extension with NO just a few months ago. In addition to that, JJ (unfortunately) likes to hire from the inside, however, we don't have many personnel that could handle that job. Kellen is a rookie OC, aka, not ready for HC. Richard is a potential candidate, however, some teams are still trying to snag him, plus we aren't very high on him as is (which wouldn't stop JJ anyways). Rod is too old and likely wouldn't take the job any ways. Who else is there? McCarthy is still available I have heard. I'm not too familiar on any other coaches possibly available. Thoughts?
Are you aware philly has the same record as us?

Batman1980

Reaction score

Are you aware Philly has a Super Bowl winning head coach while we have a clapper?

giphy.gif

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score

Philadephia has competent coaching and a team that doesn't make nearly as many mistakes and may I add, that team actually plays as a unit and looks like it wants to play? Dallas is the complete opposite of what I just said.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
We will make the playoffs, we will win the East and Garrett will be the coach of the Dallas Cowboys next year - FACT. I mean if you can declare the Cowboys as out of the playoffs as FACT after 5 weeks, I can claim mine as a FACT with just as much credibility.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

1. NO
2. SEA
3. PHI
4. GB
5. SF (49ers)

I am not saying we will, but I am not saying we won't....last year we were 3-5 and we were discussing picking in the top 10 and who we should pick. there is 11 games left....this doom and gloom is a bit to immature....yes we lost two games. mostly because we shot ourselves in the foot and our own mistakes, as opposed to what the opponents did necessarily.

playoffs often get decided in the second half of the season and who surges...

we shall see

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
I'm not seeing the Cowboys making the playoffs either.

But I also see a 5 year $50M extension for Garrett.

If I was this Dallas team, I'd band together and walk out until JJ gets a new coach. If I'm one of the many talented players in Dallas, I wouldn't want to waste my prime on a team that is ran by a coach that bases his philosophy off of luck rather than planning and scheming.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
We will make the playoffs, we will win the East and Garrett will be the coach of the Dallas Cowboys next year - FACT. I mean if you can declare the Cowboys as out of the playoffs as FACT after 5 weeks, I can claim mine as a FACT with just as much credibility.

giphy.gif

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
I was listening to "talking Cowboys yesterday Brian Broadus said something that really got me thinking.

There are 2 levels of head coaches. Game winning Elite and "the rest". Among the elite, he mentioned, Peyton, Bellichek (and a couple more). He flat out said JG is one of "the rest".He asked the question that really got me thinking. If we are going to get another "the rest" type of head coach, what are we really gaining? Peyton, Bellicheck (and the other 2 again I can't remember) aren't going anywhere. So what would we really gain if we were to fire Garrett?

I'm by no means a Garrett supporter but I have to think realistic...

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
JG is not getting fired ...

Here is the deal (you heard here first)

- JJ and SJ told JG they are not bringing him back after this contract unless he wins the SB (or maybe reach the SB)
- Because they are not renewing his contract, they did not want to make changes on the coaching staff. Keep everything as is.
- Almost all coaches will be gone, especially the coordinators. The new regime will bring their own guys and decide on who to keep.
- JG had only one request for this last year (last chance) which is to remove Linehan. They obliged, and all ageed to put KM as OC
- The Kitna move was always on the cards because they need someone to work with Dak to figure out if there is hope)

JG haters will get their wish (unless he gets to SB of course - I doubt). And to be honest, I am (JG fan) ready to turn the page. I was ok with 5 years window,
but it seems the team is stuck at the same level and cannot get out of it and progress further. JG has some great attributes, but they mostly fit a front office guy more than a coach, as much as he always has his guys play for him and play hard. But play hard is not what it is all about. It's winning. Post season winning of course, and he cannot get past that hurdle.

I like Jim Harbough frankly, but wouldn't mind Lincoln Riley. It's a young league now and you need young blood. Maybe Quin can join him as the DC since he is getting fired from ATL.

:cool:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think Folks need to get off the Lincoln Riley train. Simple question, why would Riley come to the Cowboys? Riley makes 6 mil per year, plus performance incentive bonus. He is at a Power House Program where he calls all the shots. He can be there for as long as he wants, assuming he finishes at the top of the Big 12 consistently, which is not a high bar for OU. Why would he come to the NFL where he has significant pressure to win and could be out of a job in a few seasons? Why would he put up with the BS Pro Players bring, why would he do all that goes along with being a Pro Coach and all for what could easily be less money?

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
JG is not getting fired ...

Here is the deal (you heard here first)

- JJ and SJ told JG they are not bringing him back after this contract unless he wins the SB (or maybe reach the SB)
- Because they are not renewing his contract, they did not want to make changes on the coaching staff. Keep everything as is.
- Almost all coaches will be gone, especially the coordinators. The new regime will bring their own guys and decide on who to keep.
- JG had only one request for this last year (last chance) which is to remove Linehan. They obliged, and all ageed to put KM as OC
- The Kitna move was always on the cards because they need someone to work with Dak to figure out if there is hope)

JG haters will get their wish (unless he gets to SB of course - I doubt). And to be honest, I am (JG fan) ready to turn the page. I was ok with 5 years window,
but it seems the team is stuck at the same level and cannot get out of it and progress further. JG has some great attributes, but they mostly fit a front office guy more than a coach, as much as he always has his guys play for him and play hard. But play hard is not what it is all about. It's winning. Post season winning of course, and he cannot get past that hurdle.

I like Jim Harbough frankly, but wouldn't mind Lincoln Riley. It's a young league now and you need young blood. Maybe Quin can join him as the DC since he is getting fired from ATL.

:cool:

Per the bolded, when did this happen? Yes, this is the last year of Garrett's contract but nothing was ever said about them not resigning him after the season. If you saw otherwise, I'm curious where you saw this.

Proximo

Reaction score
This place is hilarious, especially after a loss.

Hey OP, I bet at the mid-way point of last season (when we were 3-5 coming off of a two TD loss to Tennessee), you were also super certain that we wouldn’t make the playoffs. See how that turned out?

Sometimes it’s okay to just let things play out, enjoy the ride.
Gnome sayin?