Who will replace JG after his firing this season?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've never bought into this "lame duck year" for Garrett. First of all, that's the wrong use of the term as his contract expires at the end of this season and his future is unknown. Lame ducks are on the way out.

He fits too neatly into Booger's world and ya know what happens about shoes when you get older? You go for comfort over style and he is very comfortable with Garrett because he knows his place. If Garrett says the wrong thing, Booger can count on him recanting that before the day is over.

But, it goes deeper than just HC, he's part of the family and his wife is best friends with Booger's daughter. While, technically, it wouldn't be the same as firing, not extending him sends the same message. And we know Booger is all about employing the whole clan.

And some are really missing out on the most important aspect of this, the convenience of Garrett. Isn't Booger getting all the attaboys? Better in the draft and didn't he fix Garrett's problem by adding Cooper? Garrett is the resident scapegoat and even Kellen Moore got a taste of that in that interview when he was asked about Garrett gets the blame in a loss. Not only is Garrett the scapegoat, he's the willing scapegoat, he's not going to rock the boat because he knows his place. He showed that in how fast he recanted in the Linehan is staying remark and he's willing to let Booger take care of the coaches.

Booger has it set up exactly how he wants it and that's not changing.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas isn't going to the playoffs. That's a fact. If we want to go into the playoffs, it would take a miracle by Philadelphia to tank. The NFC is simply too loaded for us to get into a WC spot. Here are the likely/predicted NFC playoffs.

1. NO
2. SEA
3. PHI
4. GB
5. SF (49ers)
6. Lions/Rams/Carolina/Bucs/Vikings/Bears

This would obviously mean Dallas is knocked out of contention. JG will likely be fired. Who would replace him? I know there are swirling rumors of Lincoln Riley, but I severely doubt he'd leave Oklahoma. We all heard the Payton rumors last year, and he signed an extension with NO just a few months ago. In addition to that, JJ (unfortunately) likes to hire from the inside, however, we don't have many personnel that could handle that job. Kellen is a rookie OC, aka, not ready for HC. Richard is a potential candidate, however, some teams are still trying to snag him, plus we aren't very high on him as is (which wouldn't stop JJ anyways). Rod is too old and likely wouldn't take the job any ways. Who else is there? McCarthy is still available I have heard. I'm not too familiar on any other coaches possibly available. Thoughts?

This guy.....

AAAABY0v7YcGMgEnqg6smWAzPu1w1s-SJLj6lBjvy0UwIo1RDDYO-kZi2UE7feBer6SKyvDA8Mv2QR7OCXCnp9xCBgg78rHt.jpg

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The only reason is ego and to prove he can coach at that level. He's got a bird's nest on the ground at OU in a conference that doesn't demand both sides of the ball and he will not make more money. And as long as the transfer portal remains, he will not have to worry about QB.

That's what drove Saban and Spurrier to the NFL, they'd won a championship, now to add to the resume. Show their chops at the top level. Spurrier would have left earlier if not for the money, 5M at that time was tops.

Why would any good successful HC want the headache of the NFL and fatality rate of 20-25% every year and patience at an all time low. Ego is the only reason I can think of, he wants to prove something to himself and others.

He may decide to test the NFL but until the money is so good that it becomes a driving force, I don't see him doing it. Guy is definitely not stupid and that would not be a smart move for him, at this time. Now, if he wins a Championship or two, that could change for sure. I don't see it now though.

JMO

Western

Reaction score
Jerry realizes the error of his ways.
No more puppets, no more "process", no more clapping, & no more on-the-job training.

Get a proven winner who won't take any BS.
Make the phone call to Tuscaloosa.

Nick+Saban+Discover+BCS+National+Championship+LBC157DcVirl.jpg

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score
I was listening to "talking Cowboys yesterday Brian Broadus said something that really got me thinking.

There are 2 levels of head coaches. Game winning Elite and "the rest". Among the elite, he mentioned, Peyton, Bellichek (and a couple more). He flat out said JG is one of "the rest".He asked the question that really got me thinking. If we are going to get another "the rest" type of head coach, what are we really gaining? Peyton, Bellicheck (and the other 2 again I can't remember) aren't going anywhere. So what would we really gain if we were to fire Garrett?

I'm by no means a Garrett supporter but I have to think realistic...
This logic doesn't make any sense. That's like saying all 28 quarterbacks outside of Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and Mahomes, all perform the same.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dallas isn't going to the playoffs. That's a fact. If we want to go into the playoffs, it would take a miracle by Philadelphia to tank. The NFC is simply too loaded for us to get into a WC spot. Here are the likely/predicted NFC playoffs.

1. NO
2. SEA
3. PHI
4. GB
5. SF (49ers)
6. Lions/Rams/Carolina/Bucs/Vikings/Bears

This would obviously mean Dallas is knocked out of contention. JG will likely be fired. Who would replace him? I know there are swirling rumors of Lincoln Riley, but I severely doubt he'd leave Oklahoma. We all heard the Payton rumors last year, and he signed an extension with NO just a few months ago. In addition to that, JJ (unfortunately) likes to hire from the inside, however, we don't have many personnel that could handle that job. Kellen is a rookie OC, aka, not ready for HC. Richard is a potential candidate, however, some teams are still trying to snag him, plus we aren't very high on him as is (which wouldn't stop JJ anyways). Rod is too old and likely wouldn't take the job any ways. Who else is there? McCarthy is still available I have heard. I'm not too familiar on any other coaches possibly available. Thoughts?
Lma0

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If I’ve learned anything in life it’s that history repeats itself. The clapper is gonna clap his way to another underachieving season.
Never Say Never. And change is inevitable. Again we have talent but its individual talents. If we could only pull it together we could be unstoppable. I have no doubt about that

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There is a much bigger question. What head coach winning head coach. Would put their reputation on the line without having total control of their football team.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm not seeing the Cowboys making the playoffs either.

But I also see a 5 year $50M extension for Garrett.

Because that what Jerry Jones does.

Idgit will love it. Congrats.
If we don't make the playoffs this season. Bet the farm. Garrett is gone

32BellyOption

Reaction score
Never Say Never. And change is inevitable. Again we have talent but its individual talents. If we could only pull it together we could be unstoppable. I have no doubt about that

I agree we have talent and it’s the coaches job to pull that talent together and make it a cohesive unit. And Ginger isn’t the guy who can get it done. How many years are we gonna give this clown? Teams with far less talent are doing much better than us because of coaching.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I agree we have talent and it’s the coaches job to pull that talent together and make it a cohesive unit. And Ginger isn’t the guy who can get it done. How many years are we gonna give this clown? Teams with far less talent are doing much better than us because of coaching.
I'm not disagreeing with it. The first time he showed any Moxie to me was throwing the flag at the referee my biggest complaint about Jason is he demands no respect on the sidelines.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No it’s how you judge success. Post season wins and rings.
No it's totally a different question than your first one. And it deserves a new conversation. You can't combine both. Because there's two different answers. I'm not going to condemn the guy completely because he isn't all failure. He does some things very well. And some things he doesn't you have to take everything on an individual basis