Who would you like to see start at FS?

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
Pat Watkins. I would love for him to start, which would mean he would be better than Coleman/Davis (who we already know aren't very good.)

baj1dallas

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
In Jacksonville Davis should start. When Watkins is ready we make the move. Maybe after the bye week? BP will know when it is time.

I agree...I missed the second Commanders game last year, but other than those two games how many times did Davis blow his assignment? He should be improved this year. I say start Davis (unless they start in the nickel) and give Watkins a little time to earn it before you start him.

YoungBuck

Reaction score
DragonCowboy said:
Pat Watkins. I would love for him to start, which would mean he would be better than Coleman/Davis (who we already know aren't very good.)

Are you at camp? I'm wondering how you know Coleman isn't very good.

According to the professional scouts...

Marcus Coleman
2006 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 75 | Key
Alert: None

Sean Taylor
Grade: 76 | Key
Alert: C

GRADING SCALE
100-90 Elite Player
89-80 Outstanding Player
79-75 Solid Starter
74-70 Good Starter
69-65 Adequate Starter
64-60 Good Backup
59-55 Adequate Backup
54-50 Marginal Backup
49-45 Poor Player
30 Developmental Player

According to those that scout players he's about even with Sean Taylor.

AtlCB

Reaction score
youngbuck said:

Marcus Coleman

Sean Taylor

GRADING SCALE
100-90 Elite Player
89-80 Outstanding Player
79-75 Solid Starter
74-70 Good Starter
69-65 Adequate Starter
64-60 Good Backup
59-55 Adequate Backup
54-50 Marginal Backup
49-45 Poor Player
30 Developmental Player

The guys at ES will send letter bombs to Scouts Inc. when they read this. :lmao:

YoungBuck

Reaction score
AtlCB said:
The guys at ES will send letter bombs to Scouts Inc. when they read this. :lmao:

Ya they get pretty upset when you bring it up at extremedissapointment.com

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
youngbuck said:

Marcus Coleman

Sean Taylor

GRADING SCALE
100-90 Elite Player
89-80 Outstanding Player
79-75 Solid Starter
74-70 Good Starter
69-65 Adequate Starter
64-60 Good Backup
59-55 Adequate Backup
54-50 Marginal Backup
49-45 Poor Player
30 Developmental Player

Apologies, I thought I read somewhere that Coleman wasn't having a very good camp. Plus, when everyone was talking about him going to the CB position, I thought that meant he wasn't good at the FS position.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
In Jacksonville Davis should start. When Watkins is ready we make the move. Maybe after the bye week? BP will know when it is time.

:hammer:

it looks like Watkins will start the season coming in on the nickel D

YoungBuck

Reaction score
DragonCowboy said:
Apologies, I thought I read somewhere that Coleman wasn't having a very good camp. Plus, when everyone was talking about him going to the CB position, I thought that meant he wasn't good at the FS position.

He hasn't had a bad camp he's just been working with the 3rd team because Bill wants to see KD and Watkins get more work. Like Bill said he "knows what he has" with Coleman and doens't need to see him prove himself.

He said in the press conference today that he'll be playing coleman more this week and in the preseason game so we should have a lot more knowledge on him soon.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Who would you like to see start at FS?

I'd like to see whoever does best in camp start at FS. They're all Dallas Cowboys, so I have no favorites. I don't want one to succeed and another to fail. I want them all to succeed.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Rack said:
I'd like to see whoever does best in camp start at FS. They're all Dallas Cowboys, so I have no favorites. I don't want one to succeed and another to fail. I want them all to succeed.

politically-correct bastid :D

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
politically-correct bastid :D

What's politically correct about it? If anything, it's the complete OPPOSITE of being politically correct. I want the best player to win the job. Period. No favortism towards a person's experience, height, ability to withstand multiple gun shot wounds... Just the best player. Nothing politically correct about it.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Rack said:
What's politically correct about it? If anything, it's the complete OPPOSITE of being politically correct. I want the best player to win the job. Period. No favortism towards a person's experience, height, ability to withstand multiple gun shot wounds... Just the best player. Nothing politically correct about it.

I was just referring to your quip about them all being Cowboys, and being sarcastic

how does it go...oh yeah, calm down Nancy

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I want Watkins to win it for a few simple reasons:

1) We pretty much know what we have in Davis and Coleman. Somewhat competent starters who don't offer much (if any) upside. Watkins, on the other hand, is only upside, since we have no idea what he's actually capable of (comparable to the "backup quarterback being the favorite guy on the team" argument).

2) Watkins' height just enamours me. I'd love to see what a 6-5 safety looks like back there. Especially one with such jumping ability, some ball-hawking skills and speed.

3) He's impressed in practice. If he were non-existent in practice, I'd be much less excited to see him start. But since he's apparently been performing well, it piques my interest even more.

YoungBuck

Reaction score
Dale said:
I want Watkins to win it for a few simple reasons:

1) We pretty much know what we have in Davis and Coleman. Somewhat competent starters who don't offer much (if any) upside. Watkins, on the other hand, is only upside, since we have no idea what he's actually capable of (comparable to the "backup quarterback being the favorite guy on the team" argument).

Well that's a tricky point. Like the saying goes, "potential is what gets coaches fired." It's fine to have the highest ceiling in the league, but at some point you have to produce. While he has very little upside, where Coleman is at this point in his career is at a better level than where Watkins is at this point in his career.

Watkins may have a much brighter future with us, but I think Coleman gives us the much more solid present.

2) Watkins' height just enamours me. I'd love to see what a 6-5 safety looks like back there. Especially one with such jumping ability, some ball-hawking skills and speed.

Watkins' height scares me. If he's just going to be sit back there in a deep zone then he's a great player to have. The problem is he'll have to play some guys in man coverage. When he does his height puts him at a big disadvantage.

He has a lot of work to do in man coverage. When he is in OTM (over top man), he doesn't play with good technique to the inside hip of the receiver. So, he gets spun around too much and ends up with his back toward the receiver too much. He needs to be a little more fluid with his hips. In college, because of his speed and leaping ability, he was able to get away with this a lot. In the NFL, however, he'll lose in most of those situations.

I think Santana Moss is licking his chops looking at a 6-5 rookie.

3) He's impressed in practice. If he were non-existent in practice, I'd be much less excited to see him start. But since he's apparently been performing well, it piques my interest even more.

He's impressed in practice because he's picked off a few balls. What you don't get in TC reports are how he looked in coverage or how many times he shut down a guy. That's what really important to me. Bill has said he's a special guy so I hope he turns out well and has earned the starting spot.

Dallas grabbed him in the 5th because he has the natural ability to be exactly what they needed...an over the top roll player, with great range, and leaping ability to contest the deep ball. When he is in the game on 3rd and long, look for a lot of short passes, screens and draws. He really does take away the ability of the offense to throw the deep ball over the top. The only problem with this though, is it signals to the Offense what you intend to do Defensively when he is in the game in coverage. Hope this answers your question."

He has got to get better in this department, as he is the last line of defense. I do like his ability in the passing game though. I don't know if you noticed, but how many deep balls did SEA attempt while he was in the game...0. The other coaches in the league have seen the tape on this guy and they know his strengths. So, as of now, he fits the criteria of the ceterfield Free Safety that we lacked last year. In that aspect, I am encouraged.

(the coverage report I took from CBartel at C-F.com)