Who would you try and re-sign now to get a bargain?

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yes, getting ahead of myself, but assuming this team is as good as it looks with 3 games in, now is the time to get some bargains. This can backfire, I think I prefer to keep the tension going all year and let these guys prove themselves, but realistically, the Boys can save some money if they sign now AND pick the right high character achievers.

Cedric Wilson has a $2 million 1 year deal. Do you think he would go for a $3-$4m multiyear contract? That's not much damage on the cap for a 3rd wideout, especially today. Has he shown enough now that his agent knows a payday is coming and will wait? No hurt feelings from Gallup who still has to play for his contract.

The journeymen we signed to one year contracts. Worth signing again? Let's be real, even if guys like Kearse end up with a fantastic season, what are the odds they repeat? Think 90's Cowboys defensive backs like Larry Brown and James Washington. But can we sign one for a cheap contract and depth? Or should we just wait for the next version of them in free agency next year?

Dalton Schultz. The way I look at his and Darwin's contract together is that both equal what we would pay one All Pro TE. We keep looking for that next superstar TE, but until then are happy with both of these guys, especially Dalton. How much do you think he will get in the market if he continues like this? Coverage is going to back off all year with our wideouts and his numbers will continue to grow.

The only potential holdouts I see are Tony Pollard who ends in 2023, and Diggs who ends in 2024. Both are making a lot less for their position if they continue to produce the rest of the year like this.

Players who have contracts ending after his year:
  • Connor Williams
  • LVE
  • Keanu Neal
  • Michael Gallups
  • Dorance Armstrong
  • Dalton Schultz
  • Cedrick Wilson
  • Brandon Knight
  • Luke Gifford
  • Ty Nsechke
  • Brent Urban
  • Carlos Watkins
  • Malik Turner
  • Maurice Canady
  • Jayron Kearse
  • Damontae Kazee
  • Noah Brown
  • Bryan Anger
  • Randy Gregory
  • Malik Hooker
  • Cooper Rush
  • Corey Clement
  • Jake McQuaide

WOW---- see many on that list i want real bad...hope we can dump bad contracts and pick up the good players here...i want Malik Hooker , Randy Gregory, damonte Kazee, Jayron Kearse, luke Gifford, Cedrick Wilson..for sure Dalton Shultz, Keanu Neal and Connor Williams

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This isn’t true.

We can cut Jarwin pretty cheaply and we can structure Shultz’s contract so that it has very little impact on 2022 cap. It comes down to what we want to do and how much we want to allocate to the offensive side of the ball.

We absolutely have the choice though.

Its 100% true. Whether fans like it or not.

Expand on ‘cutting Jarwin cheaply’, and adding even more to the amount that they’re over the cap. While being down a player.

And unless they can play around to where Schultz’ contract counts virtually nothing in 2022, and kick the entire can down the road, they can’t afford him.

I understand that it’s a frustrating reality for people, but it is a reality.

Batman1980

Reaction score

Expand on ‘cutting Jarwin cheaply’, and adding even more to the amount that they’re over the cap. While being down a player.

And unless they can play around to where Schultz’ contract counts virtually nothing in 2022, and kick the entire can down the road, they can’t afford him.

Yeah they made a massive mistake paying Jarwin before he even did anything and before they really knew what they had in Schultz.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would like the Cowboys to look elsewhere for another receiver rather than sign Brown.

If not use the money to sign one of our safeties or Dalton Schultz.

I’m spit-balling ideas about what they might do if both Cooper and Gallup are gone after this year. My thinking is that keeping Wilson or Brown helps with continuity and knowledge of the offense, lessening their loss on some level.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah they made a massive mistake paying Jarwin before he even did anything and before they really knew what they had in Schultz.

They did get Jarwin cheap compared to the going rate for starting TE’s but the problem is that in the meantime, Schultz proved to be the better all around player. Just in time for Dallas to be cap-strapped while he hits free agency.

DanA

Reaction score

See....this is wrong again.

Cut: Jaylon + Jarwin + Zuerlein
Restructure: Dak + Martin

THAT PUTS US 20m UNDER THE CAP!

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
See....this is wrong again.

If we cut Jarwin we have 2m in dead money but also lose his 4.5m base salary so the net change is that 2.5m in cap space is free up.

You’re right about this. I made an incorrect assumption about Jarwin’s contract before I looked at it. They can save about $4 million with a release.

Also, assuming we carry over the 8m in cap space from this year, if we cut Jarwin and Jaylon while restructuring Dak and Martin that would put us about 16m under the cap. That's more then enough for some cheap FA's, draft picks and then one or two more expensive players like Shultz or Gregory.

I would need to see the specifics on those moves. At present they’re a projected $15 million over for 2022.

DanA

Reaction score
You’re right about this. I made an incorrect assumption about Jarwin’s contract before I looked at it. They can save about $4 million with a release.

I would need to see the specifics on those moves. At present they’re a projected $15 million over for 2022.

Cut: Jaylon, Jarwin, Zuerlein
Restructure: Dak + Z.Martin
Carry over 8m
Puts us about 20m under the cap.

Draft picks - 5m
Veteran FA's - 5m

• Shultz contract: 3 year 21m 2022 cap hit 4m
  • Kazee contract: 3 year 15m 2022 cap hit 3m
  • Wilson contract 2 year 6m 2022 cap hit 3m
That puts us pretty much right on the salary cap with the option of restructuring others like Zeke. This is very doable.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cut: Jaylon, Jarwin, Zuerlein
Restructure: Dak + Z.Martin
Carry over 8m
Puts us about 20m under the cap.

Draft picks - 5m
Veteran FA's - 5m

• Shultz contract: 3 year 21m 2022 cap hit 4m
  • Kazee contract: 3 year 15m 2022 cap hit 3m
  • Wilson contract 2 year 6m 2022 cap hit 3m
That puts us pretty much right on the salary cap with the option of restructuring others like Zeke. This is very doable.

Can you give me the specifics on those cut savings and restructuring?

Hardline

Reaction score
Who we draft will determine also who gets signed and who walks.