Image: Who would you want as HC of the Cowboys?

JeffInDC

Reaction score
I'll take this guy over any other!

w4LQ2pmE

I knew today was gonna be weird.....driving to work in dense fog. Now, I’m agreeing with Pappy? Now, as much as I would LOVE Tomlin in Dallas, there’s NO WAY I see Pittsburgh letting him walk away after this year’s coaching job. I don’t see how he DOESN’T get COY. I still Urban is the front runner. Plus, a lot of his assistants from his stints in FLA and Ohio St. are available for his staff (Adazio, Strong, Durkin, to name a few).

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Has it really made a difference? He brings in a HOF HC and he has his worst years working for this guy. Whoever he brings in will be the HC by title only. Booger's comfort level must be maintained.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And, Chip Kelly was pretty good UNTIL he got into talent acquisition part. That’s where he crapped his pants.

Thats true. He was 10-6 his first year. ......... he was a horrible talent evaluator and I'm not sure players respected him. His college offense bombed in the NFL.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Pete Carrol and Jim Harbaugh come to mind.
Harbaugh yes but Carroll kinda, was NFL assistant Coach or head coach from 1984-1999, he was a collegiate assistant 1973-1983, he was a "successful" NFL coach before he left the NFL in 1999, he got the Pats to the SB with Bledsoe. He then went on to be successful as a College HC at USC before coming back to the NFL in Seattle.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don’t think Tomlin will be available. I’m getting kinda interested in Greg Roman seeing what he did with Kap in SF and seeing what he is doing with Jackson in Baltimore I think he could do a lot with Dak and EE. Jackson has wheels but he was a horrible passer coming out of college and now look at him. Kap was pretty good under Roman. I even think if not mistaken Taylor was decent under him in Buffalo. He also gets a lot out of his running game. I just think he fits with the talent here.

I'd like to go defense but Roman would also be a good choice.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I’ve been saying this for years but Art Briles would be a dream. I never was a Baylor fan. But I was a fan of his. The dude can coach. Won multiple Championships in HS and than put Baylor on the map. His teams just had this swagger. They would jump up and down, the entire sideline for kickoffs and returns, and it was just electric. He screwed up looking the other way, but he’s done his time.

I’ve never been more impressed than in the one bowl game they played, all the QB’s were hurt so he changed the entire offense and they ran for like 400 yards. It was amazing.

Art Briles would be awesome. He was here as a consultant about two years ago if I remember correctly. Jerry and Briles are friends. I would consider him a long shot at this time.
My guess is the front runner is Clemson OC Elliot with Meyer as second choice.
I would bring Florida coach Dan Mullen in for an interview.

My order of preference is 1) OC Clemson Elliot, 2) Dan Mullen, 3) Meyer, 4) Briles.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
I'd like to go defense but Roman would also be a good choice.
Yes I’m usually going to go for D but the Cowboys have so much money on the offense and probably fixing to be more if they ink Dak and Cooper I’d like to get to most out of that money. Hopefully Roman would hire a good DC to pick up that side.

quickccc

Reaction score
if I have to choose in on a college coach to the first time NFL ranks, he had better be an exceptional college coach with well established credentials and resume because I'm certain
there is gonna be a sure adjustment period as he goes thru his speed bumps as he grows and learns the NFL ropes. And it will have to be something unitque and exceptional in
in what they bring to the NFL and how they better adjust as opposed to lesser heralded college coaching names.

that's why i'm leaning towards just two college HCs in Urban and Lincoln, while I expect the Cowboys to continue with their due diligence coach search among the NFL coaching ranks.
Who could be in their mind as that young, next Kyle Shanahan, who could make both an impact on both sides of the ball and most instrumental and innovative in best utilizing Dak and
Zeke ?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don’t think Tomlin will be available. I’m getting kinda interested in Greg Roman seeing what he did with Kap in SF and seeing what he is doing with Jackson in Baltimore I think he could do a lot with Dak and EE. Jackson has wheels but he was a horrible passer coming out of college and now look at him. Kap was pretty good under Roman. I even think if not mistaken Taylor was decent under him in Buffalo. He also gets a lot out of his running game. I just think he fits with the talent here.
May actually be Tomlins best season all things considered