Whoever wanted Big Mike Williams...

DLCassidy

Reaction score
stand up and admit we dodged a bullet by not signing him for our OL. A tiger rarely changes his stripes and Mike Williams rarely stops eating. He's about to eat his way right out of the league. Sad really. But better Jacksonville than Dallas signed him is the bottom line. Here's the link to the article that contains the blurb about MW being a longshot to make the Jags.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=99641

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Is he a longshot b/c he is fat? Or b/c he flat out sucks?

If anyone still thinks Bledsoe is no good, look at the blocking he's dealt with over the last 4 years.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
abersonc said:

If anyone still thinks Bledsoe is no good, look at the blocking he's dealt with over the last 4 years.

He weighed 400 pounds in early June.

I would say he is fat.

He gave five sacks in six starts (some at guard) last season.

I would say he sucks as well.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
At 340 he's capable of being a very good to dominant run blocker. I'm not convinced he has the feet to be an effective pass blocker at tackle. If he had the self discipline to keep his weight down and get into shape he could be a very good guard. Obviously that's not the case. And the fact that he's apparently not picking up blocking schemes quickly also is a huge red flag- either he's flat out dumb or he isn't putting in the effort. That would fit with his overall pattern.

The Answer

Benched
Reaction score
abersonc said:

Bledsoe's never truly had a good offensive line, especially in more recent years going back to his final 2 seasons in new england. Buffalo's line was a joke the time he played there, and last year we were hit with injuries...

~The Answer

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
At first I thought you meant the WR in Det. I thought I was going to get to pick on Hos again :(

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister said:
At first I thought you meant the WR in Det. I thought I was going to get to pick on Hos again :(
My thoughts exactly. Guess Hos dodged a bullet. :D

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:

From the same article:

There's growing concern among team insiders that the Lions never will find a way to motivate WR Mike Williams, whose desire to play has come into question. Williams, fined repeatedly for being late to meetings as a rookie last year, was suspended for the final two days of a recent mandatory minicamp for missing a treatment and being late for a meeting.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
My thoughts exactly. Guess Hos dodged a bullet. :D
Yeager >>> :spanking: <<< Hostile

Big Dog :shoot3: <<< Hostile

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
Yeager >>> :spanking: <<< Hostile

Big Dog :shoot3: <<< Hostile
:lmao: :lmao2: :laugh1:

On the other hand, imagine if we ended up with the WR Mike Williams instead of Ware. That one would sting for a while.

jimmy40

Reaction score
The Answer said:
Bledsoe's never truly had a good offensive line, especially in more recent years going back to his final 2 seasons in new england. Buffalo's line was a joke the time he played there, and last year we were hit with injuries...

~The Answer
Bledsoe actually played ten years of his career without an offensive line at all, he even snapped the ball to his damn self. Bledsoe truly is God at the QB position.

The Answer

Benched
Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
Bledsoe actually played ten years of his career without an offensive line at all, he even snapped the ball to his damn self. Bledsoe truly is God at the QB position.

Drew was the #1 overall pick in 1993 for a reason.....the pats were the worst team in the league. Between 93'-95' the pats were still rebuilding, although Bledsoe led them to the playoffs in 94'.

The only stretch during his NE tenure where Bledsoe had any semblence of an average line or better was between the 96'-98' seasons, coincidentally the same three years when he made the playoffs 3 straight seasons, including a superbowl birth.

1999 & 2000 were rebuilding years in New England, and the oline was downright putrid as Bledsoe was sacked 100 times in 2 seasons! We all know what happened in 2001.....

2002-2004 things weren't much better in Buffalo, although Drew shattered multiple franchise records in 2002 despite being sacked 54 times. Then Tom Donahoe opted to build the defense instead of the offense and Bledsoe suffered mightily in 2003 & 2004.

As for last year....we all know what happened after Flozell went down.

~The Answer

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I still think it makes sense to convert Mike Williams into a hole clogging NT.

He obviously has the size.

ghst187

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
On the other hand, imagine if we ended up with the WR Mike Williams instead of Ware. That one would sting for a while.

I was definitely one of those that wanted WR M Williams. He has been a huge disappointment so far....of course the entire Detroit team has been also and esp Harrington. Perhaps BMW would do better under BP and playing with Bledsoe instead of Harrington...probably never know. I'm certainly happy with Ware.
It's all worked out much better for us than if we had drafted BMW.

As for BMW the OL....what a waste.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
ghst187 said:
It's all worked out much better for us than if we had drafted BMW.

kinda makes you glad that Parcells doesn't like to take WRs in the 1st round eh? :cool:

MONT17

Reaction score
if that was Chad Hutchinson with all those sack totals people would he holds on to the ball to long, in other words he cant read a D!!!! but the Christian Laetner of Football DREW Bledsoe gets a free "its the OL" pass for 15 years!!!

Bledose has had sack problems with 3 different teams???

lspain1

Reaction score
jimmy40 said:

:lmao2: I like Bledsoe, but this one made me snarf my coffee this morning!

burmafrd

Reaction score
Even in the SB year with NE, the O line was just above average. ANd in the SB Reggie White and friends made just about all of them their *****es. Bledsoe has never really had a real good line; a couple o fyears it approached good but that was about it. In 2002 the O line at Buffalo was decent early on, then wore down with injuries - by the end of the year it was not good at all. BLedsoe still set Bill franchise records all over the place.

ghst187

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
kinda makes you glad that Parcells doesn't like to take WRs in the 1st round eh? :cool:

I suppose, but its not often or reliable to assume you can trade a 6th round draft pick for an established, stud WR (TG) or acquire the game's #1 WR in FA without a massive bidding war and subsequent salary cap crunch.
I suppose drafting other positions well and planning to use FA to get WRs is a strategy, safer than drafting them but much more expensive.
I guess if we continue to manage as well as we have and JJ continues to keep the bank open...we can continue that strategy.

neosapien23

Reaction score
I will admit that I wanted Mike Williams for a 1 year deal. I didn't think anyone would want to waste anymore than that. How much guaranteed money did he get from the Jags?