Whoever wanted Big Mike Williams...

AbeBeta

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
I will admit that I wanted Mike Williams for a 1 year deal. I didn't think anyone would want to waste anymore than that. How much guaranteed money did he get from the Jags?

2 years, 3.8 mill. 1.4 mill of that was SB.

It won't kill them to have to cut him but that's the type of scratch that you could use to sign good ST players instead -- e.g. we got Boiman for 1 mill SB and Hannam for what, 1.5 in SB. Neither is going to average 1.9 mill a year either.

AtlCB

Reaction score
MONT17 said:
if that was Chad Hutchinson with all those sack totals people would he holds on to the ball to long, in other words he cant read a D!!!! but the Christian Laetner of Football DREW Bledsoe gets a free "its the OL" pass for 15 years!!!

Bledose has had sack problems with 3 different teams???
The problem with Chad was that he would usually fumble the ball as well.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I liked the idea of bringing Williams in as an FA. Risk was certainly part of the equation but the upside to anybody who could instill the desire to stay a biscut shy of 335 was immense IMO. I will take my medicine accordingly.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I liked the idea of bringing Williams in as an FA. Risk was certainly part of the equation but the upside to anybody who could instill the desire to stay a biscut shy of 335 was immense IMO. I will take my medicine accordingly.

BP usually steers clear of those "it's always something" guys like Mike Williams. 2 years ago he was late to Buffalo camp and out of shape because he was upset his grandmother died. Last year he got heavy because he got hurt. This year? Who knows, maybe his goldfish died. It's always something. That's why it still amazes me that BP was the guy that pulled the trigger on another "it's always something" guy Jacob Rogers. But I knew MW would never end up here because BP has little paience with fat guys, regardless of talent.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
MONT17 said:
if that was Chad Hutchinson with all those sack totals people would he holds on to the ball to long, in other words he cant read a D!!!! but the Christian Laetner of Football DREW Bledsoe gets a free "its the OL" pass for 15 years!!!

Bledose has had sack problems with 3 different teams???

Check out Bledsoe's sack rate his 1st five years (4 under Parcells) which was excellent. Bledsoe also did well here before Flo went down. Having said that, stop hijacking my thread.;)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
Check out Bledsoe's sack rate his 1st five years (4 under Parcells) which was excellent. Bledsoe also did well here before Flo went down. Having said that, stop hijacking my thread.;)

Bledsoe's sacks are directly related to his ability to stay disciplined and get rid of the football. I would also comment that the characterization of "Did Well" before Florzell went down is relative. Well in comparison to what? What happend to Bledsoe throughout his career can not be pinned on the OLs alone. Bledsoe shoulders a large part of that burden himself. That is my opinion anyway.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
What happend to Bledsoe throughout his career can not be pinned on the OLs alone. Bledsoe shoulders a large part of that burden himself. That is my opinion anyway.

You are right. He always has had problems.

But I think his early season success did show that all of us (myself included) overexagerrated the impact of his actions, but also underestimated how bad the OL in Buffalo was in terms of pass protection. I think they have turned over just about every player from their 2004 lineup. As with many things, the truth is usually in the middle.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Bledsoe's sacks are directly related to his ability to stay disciplined and get rid of the football. I would also comment that the characterization of "Did Well" before Florzell went down is relative. Well in comparison to what? What happend to Bledsoe throughout his career can not be pinned on the OLs alone. Bledsoe shoulders a large part of that burden himself. That is my opinion anyway.

My point was a combination of decent pass protection and having Bill Parcells as a HC minimizes that problem. He was on a pace through 6 games to be sacked 34 times last year which would have been a below average sack rate if compared to the rest of the league. And his sack rate with Parcells in NE was also well below average- just look at the #'s, especially sacks/attempts. Left without a coach conscious of the need to protect the QB 1st and/or a bad line he struggles because he wants to make plays downfield. That's it in a nutshell.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:

Drew will be the first to admit that he'll take sacks because he's looking for the homerun ball.

Really it depends on what you want. Do you want a guy who is going to make big plays? Compare him to a guy like Elisha Manning. Drew averaged about a half yard more per pass than Manning - that comes from trying to get the ball down the field rather than throwing it away.

The big questions are how many of those plays a) lead to fumbles and b) are in situations where a sack really hurts?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Alexander said:
You are right. He always has had problems.

But I think his early season success did show that all of us (myself included) overexagerrated the impact of his actions, but also underestimated how bad the OL in Buffalo was in terms of pass protection. I think they have turned over just about every player from their 2004 lineup. As with many things, the truth is usually in the middle.

I would have to agree with this statement. I would never say it is all on Bledsoe but it is, at least, a factor.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
My point was a combination of decent pass protection and having Bill Parcells as a HC minimizes that problem. He was on a pace through 6 games to be sacked 34 times last year which would have been a below average sack rate if compared to the rest of the league. And his sack rate with Parcells in NE was also well below average- just look at the #'s, especially sacks/attempts. Left without a coach conscious of the need to protect the QB 1st and/or a bad line he struggles because he wants to make plays downfield. That's it in a nutshell.

I don't know that the numbers were 34 on the season or not. I think the numbers are a bit skewed in regards to the statistic you are using.

No question, the pass protection got worse as the season wore on but if you look at the first six games of the season, Bledsoe got sacked generously depending on what week. For example:

Game 1 - 4 Sacks.
Game 2 - 0 Sacks.
Game 3 - 2 Sacks.
Game 4 - 4 Sacks.
Game 5 - 0 Sacks.
Game 6 - 3 Sacks.

To me, these numbers do not indicate that the pass protections was good when Flozell was in the line up. To me, it shows that it was hit and miss at best.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Drew will be the first to admit that he'll take sacks because he's looking for the homerun ball.

Really it depends on what you want. Do you want a guy who is going to make big plays? Compare him to a guy like Elisha Manning. Drew averaged about a half yard more per pass than Manning - that comes from trying to get the ball down the field rather than throwing it away.

The big questions are how many of those plays a) lead to fumbles and b) are in situations where a sack really hurts?

Personally, I don't mind a guy who might stand in to make a play. I don't mind taking a sack if the big play balances it out on occasion. I don't like turnovers in any case but I suppose they are inevitable to a certain extent. The key, to me, is the ability to make big plays. I don't really feel as if Drew has that capability in abundance. It's one thing to stand in and take the sack to try and make a play but exactly how many times over the recent years has he been able to do that? I agree with your question. Do the sacks lead to TDs, Sacks or TOs on a more consistant basis?

burmafrd

Reaction score
With TO on one side and GLenn on the other he has a lot more chances of making big plays this year. Last year they doubled Glenn all the time. They cannot do that this year.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
With TO on one side and GLenn on the other he has a lot more chances of making big plays this year. Last year they doubled Glenn all the time. They cannot do that this year.

I agree. In fact, with our receiving corps, any decent QB should really be able to put up some pretty good numbers IMO. Barring a complete collapse from our OL, Bledsoe really should be in a position to post a career type year.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Personally, I don't mind a guy who might stand in to make a play. I don't mind taking a sack if the big play balances it out on occasion. I don't like turnovers in any case but I suppose they are inevitable to a certain extent. The key, to me, is the ability to make big plays. I don't really feel as if Drew has that capability in abundance. It's one thing to stand in and take the sack to try and make a play but exactly how many times over the recent years has he been able to do that? I agree with your question. Do the sacks lead to TDs, Sacks or TOs on a more consistant basis?

It's one thing to take a sack. It is another to fumble after doing so.

That's Chad Hutchinson territory right there.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I don't know that the numbers were 34 on the season or not. I think the numbers are a bit skewed in regards to the statistic you are using.

No question, the pass protection got worse as the season wore on but if you look at the first six games of the season, Bledsoe got sacked generously depending on what week. For example:

Game 1 - 4 Sacks.
Game 2 - 0 Sacks.
Game 3 - 2 Sacks.
Game 4 - 4 Sacks.
Game 5 - 0 Sacks.
Game 6 - 3 Sacks.

To me, these numbers do not indicate that the pass protections was good when Flozell was in the line up. To me, it shows that it was hit and miss at best.

I'm not saying the protection was all that great even when Flo was in there. I'm saying it was adequate and I'm saying when Bledsoe has been with BP sacks have not really been a big issue other than when Flo was hurt. We did win 2 out of 3 games that we had 3 sacks or more in those 6 and the offense functioned pretty well IMO in both the SD and 1st NYG games. The OL had a bad day against Oakland all day and they got good pressure on Bledsoe. The bottom line from my view is if we get pre Flo injury pass protection or better this year I don't think Bledsoe holding the ball and/or sacks will be a big problem. If RT play improves as much as I hope it does our passing offense should be able to match up ok with most teams, although I'll admit really fast pressure teams like Indy and Tampa scare me. Our road division games will be very tough tests for our OL also.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DLCassidy said:
I'm not saying the protection was all that great even when Flo was in there. I'm saying it was adequate and I'm saying when Bledsoe has been with BP sacks have not really been a big issue other than when Flo was hurt. We did win 2 out of 3 games that we had 3 sacks or more in those 6 and the offense functioned pretty well IMO in both the SD and 1st NYG games. The OL had a bad day against Oakland all day and they got good pressure on Bledsoe. The bottom line from my view is if we get pre Flo injury pass protection or better this year I don't think Bledsoe holding the ball and/or sacks will be a big problem. If RT play improves as much as I hope it does our passing offense should be able to match up ok with most teams, although I'll admit really fast pressure teams like Indy and Tampa scare me. Our road division games will be very tough tests for our OL also.

And the second game when we gave up 0 sacks our offense was putrid-- registering a single trick-play TD.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
And the second game when we gave up 0 sacks our offense was putrid-- registering a single trick-play TD.

It was a conservative game plan. Very conservative but we all know that should have been a W. We had 350 net yards and held the ball over 32 minutes and we were 7-17 on 3rd down. That's not putrid. Putrid was the finish.