Who's going to replace Fred Beard?

Tussinman

Reaction score
I doubt they can afford to pick another OL in a premium round with the holes on this team.
Agreed. For this draft I was hoping 2 immediate starters on defense for the first 2 rounds and then WR #3 in the 3rd round. They'll have to spend a 1st next year grooming a LT since by next off-season Tyron will hit the 150 game mark (you'll want a LT ready to start either 2022 or 2023).
While I don’t want a LT in the first round, you do realize that the OL is a quarter of the starting players on the team, right? Logically, you should be spending either a 2nd or 3rd round pick on the OL more often than not.
That's a very good point. Looking back they didnt spend a single pick on O-line in 2016 or 2017 and then have done 2nd rounder in 2018 and 3rd rounder in 2019 and 2015.

That's actually not bad for a 5 year span (makes sense, they've had most of the o-line locked up to franchise deals)

Last edited:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Best five.

LT - Tyron Smith
LG - Connor Williams
C - Connor McGovern
RG - Zack Martin
RT - La’el Collins

O-line gonna be just fine.
At this point, maybe the above.

But a reshuffle is going to happen.

Part of the issue is not just the physical aspect but also the mental.

Who has the knowledge to make the line calls and audibles of the line when Dak changes a play?

It's involved stuff. Whomever becomes C has to be a smart guy.

We have a chance to immediately fix this in the draft right now.

We have to draft somebody to hopefully put them in and leave the rest of the OL remain as it is.

It's the old "less is more" axiom.

It's always possible some team is going to have a C they want to replace that could help us.

So we have to look around, scout the college centers since we can't meet with them with the illnesses around.

It is a nasty bad break for us..losing Beard.

But we can deal with it.

Change of plans.

Life is full of that.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Ok i know Loony is going to get 1st crack at it, but if we remember he still had his problems the year Fred was out. so can Williams or The McGovener take over? I know Connor Williams did some practice at Senior bowl at Center.
Lol, first crack?! He's the starter, period. Looney performed admirably for a guy who was thrust into the starting role two weeks before the season replacing Frederick.

His overall performance has been good enough that he has now earned three contracts with Dallas. The most recent being a one year deal, signed just last week. Looney is the elder of this group of candidates, and he's also the only guy on the roster who has started an NFL game at center.
3tw11o.gif

keysersoze

Reaction score
Lol, first crack?! He's the starter, period. Looney performed admirably for a guy who was thrust into the starting role two weeks before the season replacing Frederick.

His overall performance has been good enough that he has now earned three contracts with Dallas. The most recent being a one year deal, signed just last week. Looney is the elder of this group of candidates, and he's also the only guy on the roster who has started an NFL game at center.
3tw11o.gif
For real!!!! Connor Williams is struggling to maintain being a guard. Now they expect him to come in and take over at center? WTH???

Verdict

Reaction score
Is Creed Humphrey coming out or does he have another year before he is draft eligible?

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Creed Humphrey is staying at Oklahoma so the only way we could get him is if we suck really bad this year.

That dude is like Quenton Nelson playing center..

quickccc

Reaction score
Connor Williams and McGovern are not starter Materials.

Looney should be starting Center.

yes, i will agree that Looney because of his veteran game experience and very serviceable work in subbing for Fredrick year long in 2018,.. should definitely start out as the starter, but you can be sure that the team will like to eventually find a way to implement Conner McGovern in as the eventual starting center
- and yes, that's assuming how well he develops in that capacity- while the other Conner continues to develop as the LG starter.

They've already invested both a 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder, two high picks to have either sitting the bench, and this unfortunate crisis as it is,
gives the open opportunity to execute such a plan.

Only thing that i see slowing this plan is the problem that not only the Cowboys have ..but the entire NFL, in without any established off season strengthening
program, they wont be able to develop any work with any of the Connors up close and personal, and who even knows if there will even be a
camp or any sort to develop them there as well.

They like Adam Redmon's versatility and potential but he's even more of a still green project than upfront ready made prospect.
He's a last resort via injury. I think it will because of the presence of Looney and McGovern that they will not panic and be pressed to
have to pick a center prospect just for the sake of feeling the need to get one., imo.

quickccc

Reaction score
For real!!!! Connor Williams is struggling to maintain being a guard. Now they expect him to come in and take over at center? WTH???

LOL ... Silly Rabbit, Tricks are for kids :p....

i truly believe its the other Connor ( McGovern) that is said to be the one likely to be tried at center.
Not the Williams- Connor. :rolleyes:

chagus

Reaction score
Cesar Ruiz,Michigan

but i think they roll with McGovern.

If Ruiz drops to the 2nd rd, its a no brainer, i think. Dont think he'll drop tho.

Maybe Dallas could trade down, grab another pick and take Ruiz late in the 1st?

Hmm... this sounds plausible to me.

quickccc

Reaction score
Cowboys OL was terrible in 2018 with Loony replacing T-Fred at Center.

They allowed 56 sacks, 2nd worst in the NFL.

But ti think that had several key dynamics that made that happened with the entire OL unit, Can't place the blame on just Looney.

Lets take a look at the entire body of work in 2018
- Cowboys hired one of the worst OL coaches in NFL in Paul Alexander and the entire OL was in disarray with how he was trying to handle the unit.
And You know how bad it was when you hear an OL coach being fired and immediately replaced in the middle of the season.
. Out goes Alexander - In comes assistant OL coach Marc Columbo, ..

Also i dunno what happened to Dak under Linehan, but he developed a bad habit of holding onto the ball and taking too many
unnecessary sacks. But yet those last 3 games of the 2018 including the playoffs, something happened to metamorph his game into
better decisions, such as finally setting, reading and getting the damn out of his throwing hand or scrambling up field for positive yards,
Rumors persist that some major changes were forced within coaching ranks that saw the two young offensive assistants (Moore, Nussenmeirer) take
more control and change up dak's decision process vs what we were seeing most of 2018.

HungryLion

Reaction score
McGovern was a 3rd round pick. 3rd round picks are “expected” to develop into starters in the NFL. McGovern had a 2nd round grade on him.

He will compete for the spot with Looney and possibly a draft pick from the upcoming draft.

Let’s be real. He was selected in the 3rd round when the cowboys hadn’t seen Frederick try to come back from GBS still. The cowboys FO certainly were taking Fredericks situation into account when they decided to draft McGovern.

He was a starter at Penn State for essentially 3 seasons. One of which he started the entire season at center.

We shall see what happens but he was a very good player at Penn State. He was a 3rd round pick. There is solid reason to believe he can be a starter in the NFL.

I’m not too worried about it.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Can't really replace him. :starspin: You can only hope to put someone where he used to be.
Connor McGovern? Another Wisconsin guy from the draft, C Tyler Biadasz.

Biadasz is a beast! He'd be a worthy replacement for Travis Frederick, and he could step right in! :thumbup:

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Looney will start as long as he’s healthy. To expect a guy that hasn’t played in two seasons and never played in the NFL to start is ridiculous.